Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 548
  1. #281

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    2,395
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3278
    The team support ... joy displayed at the success of others. How befitting an Olympic spirit and model athlete.
    Brian Orser mentioned that he had to face his Olympic disappointment alone. I'm glad that Patrick's experience has been totally different. I too was really glad to see the team support, and the chances to celebrate other peoples' successes.

  2. #282

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    It must have been horrible for Orser then? Didn't he get any support from his family?

    Patrick looks pretty close to Scott. The body language. Very brotherly .. don't think Patrick mind since he doesn't have any sibling. And I am sure Scott was there to lend support.

    Is Patrick skating in shows elsewhere besides CSOI? He has skated in Korea for a couple of years. Just wondering whether he will be skating in Korea? Is Yun's annual show still on?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  3. #283

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    45
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    I realized after the Grand Prix Final that it would be very hard if not impossible for Patrick to win the gold in Sochi but what saddened me the most was that he didn't walk through the door Hanyu left open for him. I don't know how Patrick's fans feel about his 2nd place finish but I do know that Patrick was utterly disappointed in himself and even apologized to his fellow Canadians.
    It amazes me that there is so little about the fact that he didn't have a technical coach. His technical has declined over the past two seasons and his confidence in it got shakey. He got to the point where he was only ok if everything was working perfectly. Add some stress and he fell apart. I truly believe that the decision not to have a technical coach cost him his gold medal.

  4. #284
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mont View Post
    It amazes me that there is so little about the fact that he didn't have a technical coach. His technical has declined over the past two seasons and his confidence in it got shakey. He got to the point where he was only ok if everything was working perfectly. Add some stress and he fell apart. I truly believe that the decision not to have a technical coach cost him his gold medal.
    I don't agree at all. He was more consistent than anyone else on quads since 2011. The only jump that wasn't easy was the triple axel and even that was pretty good the last few years - certainly as good as anyone else's. I suspect his heart wasn't in this and there's little that a coach can do about that.

  5. #285

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    45
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I don't agree at all. He was more consistent than anyone else on quads since 2011. The only jump that wasn't easy was the triple axel and even that was pretty good the last few years - certainly as good as anyone else's. I suspect his heart wasn't in this and there's little that a coach can do about that.
    Didn't say the quads. Said technically ie all jumps. Quads were good. Learned from krall. Without beating it to death look at worlds long programs. 2011 - clean. 2012 - problem with triple lutz sequence and fall on axel late in program. 2013 - fall on triple lutz, underrotate and fall on triple axel, problem with triple flip sequence. Olympics - well we all know that. So it's not an opinion. Under the high pressure he has gotten worse each year. Anyone could see the trend.

  6. #286
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    582
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    His triple axel is a hot mess. I can't believe he couldn't even complete a double axel in the FS.

  7. #287

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    2,395
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3278
    This certainly does look like at uber thread, doesn't it?

    (That's a hint, in case some people don't understand the concept of an uber thread).

  8. #288
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    413
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I could see Chan doing one of two things. He will either turn pro altogether and not compete amateur again. Or he will take off until the 2016-2017 season and come back with a new coach, that way he never really dumped Kathy Johnson, he had been away awhile anyway so it was like he was starting over.

  9. #289
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    413
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    It must have been horrible for Orser then? Didn't he get any support from his family?
    Orser and his family were very close. He mentioned getting alot of support from them in his book. I am sure they helped him through the tough loss. Some of the reporters were harsh he mentioned though. Team Canada was close too. Manley, McCall, Wilson, Denise Benning, Browning were all good friends of his so I cant imagine they didnt help him through the pain.

    No offense to Chan but one has to feel worse for Orser in that he skated as well as he could have and still lost. Chan atleast doesnt have that feeling he skated so great and narrowly lost, he just had a rotten night and didnt skate a gold medal performance when he had been handed a huge opportunity by his main competitor just before to win it.

  10. #290
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    One day, after recovering from witnessing the worst free skate of Chan's life happening at the worst possible time...I will again read the Patrick Chan thread instead of sticking my head into said thread to quickly post a message like this and then run out of it again so I don't have to re-live that pain...

    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  11. #291

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11600
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Anyway, regarding Patrick, honestly, I personally feel like he was robbed for Gold. Yeah, he didn't skate well. But NOBODY skated well in the long program. But to see that Hanyu's PCS was as high as Patrick is just ridiculous. Sorry to say, Hanyu is NOT at Patrick's level yet. Patrick's more mature, elegant, great body line and overall, a total package. Sure technically, he's not as strong as Hanyu. But his presentation mark should be miles ahead of Hanyu. And with just under 5 points, it's hard to stomach that if the judging were correct, Patrick could have won by a very small margin.
    Sorry, Patrick gave the gold away - he wasn't robbed.

    And I say this even though I don't care for Hanyu. Machida is my favourite Japanese guy - I. heart. Machida.

    Chan gave it away with a stupid mistake on a 2X. End of story. Up until that point, the judges were still trying to give him the Gold.

  12. #292

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Nice fan pix of Yuna and Patrick. Well drawn.

    I still cannot get over the Scott and Patrick's reaction at the women's hockey. Here's Scott and Patrick grabbing a flag to (I assume) throw to a hockey player for their victory lap?

    Lastly, Denis Ten's pix with Patrick taken at Sochi.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  13. #293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Many people might think I am crazy.
    I think Chan SP was robbed. Had to be either the first place or close second.
    If SP scores had been so, Chan might have done a better LP performance.

  14. #294
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,571
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Nice fan pix of Yuna and Patrick. Well drawn.

    I still cannot get over the Scott and Patrick's reaction at the women's hockey. Here's Scott and Patrick grabbing a flag to (I assume) throw to a hockey player for their victory lap?

    Lastly, Denis Ten's pix with Patrick taken at Sochi.
    Patrick's smile reaches right to his eyes.

  15. #295
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,571
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    Many people might think I am crazy.
    I think Chan SP was robbed. Had to be either the first place or close second.
    If SP scores had been so, Chan might have done a better LP performance.
    Maybe a mark.
    Jumps wize I haven't seen such a bad performance from Patty. Of course the rest was still sublime.

  16. #296

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    London, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,193
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wil be happy when reactions die down a bit and this thread returns to normal. I'll just say that I don't believe for one second that anything other than pressure and mental distractions were at the root of the problems in Patrick's long program skate. I've watched him practise enough over the last few seasons to know that all the jumps are technically sound. He just couldn't do it when it counted. I feel bad for him but I also am very proud of him for keeping it together as well as he did. He won a silver medal at the Olympic games....well, two silver medals. That's nothing to be ashamed of. I hope he has a long rest and decides to do what is right for him. Selfishly I hope that still involves competing.

  17. #297

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    It's not technique. Look at his TEB skates. It just didn't happen at the right time.

    Patrick flew back to Detroit. Should know by Monday whether he will be skating at the Worlds. He says his heart wants one more World.. will see whether it is this World. Has he applied to any university in Canada?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  18. #298
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    Orser and his family were very close. He mentioned getting alot of support from them in his book. I am sure they helped him through the tough loss. Some of the reporters were harsh he mentioned though. Team Canada was close too. Manley, McCall, Wilson, Denise Benning, Browning were all good friends of his so I cant imagine they didnt help him through the pain.

    No offense to Chan but one has to feel worse for Orser in that he skated as well as he could have and still lost. Chan atleast doesnt have that feeling he skated so great and narrowly lost, he just had a rotten night and didnt skate a gold medal performance when he had been handed a huge opportunity by his main competitor just before to win it.
    I think the problem with Orser was in part the way he dealt with it, which is a reflection of his personality. If he'd been able to accept that he had a great competition, but another skater was a teeny bit better, then the sting would have gone away a lot sooner and those critics would have gone back to covering hockey. I remember Browning also being completely trashed by his hometown media when he lost the title to Stoiko and that was pre Olympics. Anyway, I'm delighted to see that Patrick was out cheering the other Canadians - hopefully that means a healthy response to his loss.

  19. #299
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,571
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I think the problem with Orser was in part the way he dealt with it, which is a reflection of his personality. If he'd been able to accept that he had a great competition, but another skater was a teeny bit better, then the sting would have gone away a lot sooner and those critics would have gone back to covering hockey. I remember Browning also being completely trashed by his hometown media when he lost the title to Stoiko and that was pre Olympics. Anyway, I'm delighted to see that Patrick was out cheering the other Canadians - hopefully that means a healthy response to his loss.
    Actually Browning had huge support. Didn't we make him our own gold medal?
    Some media always trashes.

  20. #300
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,175
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    D1 Sports Cincinnati ‏@D1Cincinnati · 6m
    Patrick Chan, Winter Olympics silver medalist & D1 athlete, stopping by D1 Detroit to show off his medals.


    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...58738299_n.jpg

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bhcg7gfIIAAHhWS.jpg:large

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhcPMgAIAAAB2Dc.jpg:large

    A new show for Patrick - Super Stars on Ice in Sapporo - April 7-9, 2014.

    http://ssi2014.jp/

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •