Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 548
  1. #261
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,199
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43906
    Yes, there are three spots at Worlds: to earn three, one entry at 2013 Worlds has to place first or second, and the top two placements of two or three entries have to total 13 or less, which Chan and Reynolds did easily last year. There are three Canadian Men who've met the Worlds TES minimums: Balde, Rogozine, and Nam, who is listed for Jr. Worlds. The deadline for entries and substitutes is next Monday, by 8pm Saitama time.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  2. #262
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    106
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    After reading some negative articles about Patrick's silver, it's really irritating that the media think his silver was an epic disappointment. No, it' wasn't the performance or the result he (or we as fans) were hoping for, but come on! It's not like he failed to qualify for the free program! We may be disappointed for him, but not disappointed in him. I hope he sticks around for a bit if not for 2018. Good luck, Patrick! You're still, IMO, the best men's figure skater in the world.

  3. #263
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    395
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well said, Coppertop.

  4. #264
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,566
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    I'm sure Kevin is capable of finishing top ten, but don't we have 3 spots to fill for Worlds? I always get confused as to the rules of qualification...I think with 2 it's a total of 13. What is it with 3? Who will they send if Patrick doesn't go? I'm hoping Elladj gets the nod.
    I think one in top ten you get 2 spots but if you get 13 adding top two skaters you get three spots the next year. Last year Patrick and Kevin equalled 6 ie less than 13 so we get three spots this year.

    I hope that Skate Canada allows Patrick his rest and relaxation and doesnt push him to worlds just to get the top spot. Of course he himself may want to go to worlds but that is a different thing.

    I am so glad that he had a lovely time with Scott and Tessa. Scott is very appreciative about the wonderful nuances to his skating and his great skating skills.

  5. #265

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    As a fan, I would love to see Patrick skate at the coming Worlds but deep in my heart, I think he needs a rest. He has immersed himself into enjoying the rest of the Olympics after the men's competition, and I am so happy to see him enjoying his experience with Scott and the rest of the team mates. Scott and his reaction at the hockey game was classic and I will never forget that.

    The Olympics is over. I am sure he and his family will be discussing the next phase of his life. I think it will definitely still include skating but in what form, noone knows. And really, things may still change along the way however we plan our lives.

    coopertop, thanks. I am disappointed that Patrick didn't win gold but I am disappointed for him not with him. I think I wanted the gold for him so much more than him. I like his speech about his medal. 'So much work has gone into this thing'. We don't see it because all we see is that few minutes skate. And he like all the other great Canadian skaters before him had brought men figure skating to another level. For Chiddy, IMO, is that great skating skills can go hand in hand with powerful jumps. We can have elegance and power. I envy my Canadian friends. At least you can continue watching him at CSOI! It would be great if someone could choreography a program to showcase his skating skills ... Elegie is one of the master pieces. I wouldn't mind more of them.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  6. #266
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    395
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm sure Emdee and I will buy more lottery tickets, Spikey.

  7. #267
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'd like to see Patrick find the same comfort zone on the ice as Carolina Kostner. Every skate used to look like an endurance test but now not only does she look comfortable but she's able to do it every single time she takes to the ice. I think Patrick needs to discover who he is and not who people want him to be. My impression is that there've been too many opinionated handlers (for want of a better word) giving him orders most of his skating life.

  8. #268
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,566
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I'd like to see Patrick find the same comfort zone on the ice as Carolina Kostner. Every skate used to look like an endurance test but now not only does she look comfortable but she's able to do it every single time she takes to the ice. I think Patrick needs to discover who he is and not who people want him to be. My impression is that there've been too many opinionated handlers (for want of a better word) giving him orders most of his skating life.
    You are so correct.

  9. #269
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    276
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think I'm done with Figure Skating as a whole. In fact, I didn't watch much FS this Olympic. The judging finally caught up to me and I'm done. Not only the Women event was questionable. It all started in Team Event...

    Anyway, regarding Patrick, honestly, I personally feel like he was robbed for Gold. Yeah, he didn't skate well. But NOBODY skated well in the long program. But to see that Hanyu's PCS was as high as Patrick is just ridiculous. Sorry to say, Hanyu is NOT at Patrick's level yet. Patrick's more mature, elegant, great body line and overall, a total package. Sure technically, he's not as strong as Hanyu. But his presentation mark should be miles ahead of Hanyu. And with just under 5 points, it's hard to stomach that if the judging were correct, Patrick could have won by a very small margin.

  10. #270
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    321
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I hear you, jettasian, and am totally with you about Hanyu's PCS, but what can we do? But seeing that Patrick has enjoyed his rest of stay in Sochi, I'm at peace with this result. You know what, as much as I wanted Patrick to get the OGM, it doesn't define him. Those who weren't his fan wouldn't suddenly become his fan even if he had won the OGM, just as I am not converted to become a fan of Hanyu just because he's won it.

  11. #271
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Patrick did not deserve to get higher PCS than Yuzuru for his FS. That was just a poorly skated programme, both technically and artistically. If you had seen both performances back to back, it was obvious that Yuzuru was better even with the mistakes.

    And I'm sorry, but I think it's just inane that one shouldn't consider Patrick's performance an epic disappointment if you're one of his supporters. It was an epic disappointment because the gold was his for the taking and he failed to rise to the challenge - that's just stating a fact. It doesn't mean that one can't be proud of his past successes and shouldn't continue supporting him, or that he should never compete again.

  12. #272
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I'd like to see Patrick find the same comfort zone on the ice as Carolina Kostner. Every skate used to look like an endurance test but now not only does she look comfortable but she's able to do it every single time she takes to the ice. I think Patrick needs to discover who he is and not who people want him to be. My impression is that there've been too many opinionated handlers (for want of a better word) giving him orders most of his skating life.
    Seeing how relaxed Carolina was at the Olympics was a revelation. Even 5 years ago, it would have been unthinkable. Even with the pressure of having more recent accomplishments, it didn't faze her.

    I hope Patrick can take ownership of his skating and not be directed from outside pressures. He is so immensely talented, but there's no need to put that into a box.

  13. #273
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    582
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Patrick did not deserve to get higher PCS than Yuzuru for his FS. That was just a poorly skated programme, both technically and artistically. If you had seen both performances back to back, it was obvious that Yuzuru was better even with the mistakes.

    And I'm sorry, but I think it's just inane that one shouldn't consider Patrick's performance an epic disappointment if you're one of his supporters. It was an epic disappointment because the gold was his for the taking and he failed to rise to the challenge - that's just stating a fact. It doesn't mean that one can't be proud of his past successes and shouldn't continue supporting him, or that he should never compete again.
    Yeah, Patrick's performance completely ran out of steam by the end. You could tell by his last spin he had totally checked out. Yuzuru at least powered through his program despite the mistakes. And he did have a great short program performance to fall back on, while Patrick also had a step-out in the SP.

    Truly, the door was left soooooo wide open after Yuzuru's performance. I know Patrick has a lot of issues skating clean and dealing with the pressure, but I was still shocked at how he let this one get away from him.

  14. #274

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Patrick did not deserve to get higher PCS than Yuzuru for his FS. That was just a poorly skated programme, both technically and artistically. If you had seen both performances back to back, it was obvious that Yuzuru was better even with the mistakes.

    And I'm sorry, but I think it's just inane that one shouldn't consider Patrick's performance an epic disappointment if you're one of his supporters. It was an epic disappointment because the gold was his for the taking and he failed to rise to the challenge - that's just stating a fact. It doesn't mean that one can't be proud of his past successes and shouldn't continue supporting him, or that he should never compete again.
    I disagree with you. I would watch Patrick any time over Hanyu. Your taste is not mine. I agree Hanyu's TES should be higher. PC no. Hanyu fell twice.

    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    I hear you, jettasian, and am totally with you about Hanyu's PCS, but what can we do? But seeing that Patrick has enjoyed his rest of stay in Sochi, I'm at peace with this result. You know what, as much as I wanted Patrick to get the OGM, it doesn't define him. Those who weren't his fan wouldn't suddenly become his fan even if he had won the OGM, just as I am not converted to become a fan of Hanyu just because he's won it.
    Well said, fscric. It comes from your heart. The intention was clear when Hanyu's PCs jumped in the GPF. But Sotnikova's win is more shocking. Here's the link to the petition if anyone is interested to read or sign. Anyway, it's history. It was good to see him enjoy himself and have so much fun.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 02-25-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  15. #275
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    Yeah, Patrick's performance completely ran out of steam by the end. You could tell by his last spin he had totally checked out. Yuzuru at least powered through his program despite the mistakes. And he did have a great short program performance to fall back on, while Patrick also had a step-out in the SP.

    Truly, the door was left soooooo wide open after Yuzuru's performance. I know Patrick has a lot of issues skating clean and dealing with the pressure, but I was still shocked at how he let this one get away from him.
    Couldn't agree more.

    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I disagree with you. I would watch Patrick any time over Hanyu. Your taste is not mine. I agree Hanyu's TES should be higher. PC no. Hanyu fell twice.
    Normally, I'd prefer to watch Patrick over Yuzuru too. Yuzuru's brand of artistry is not the sort I care for, but he was just better than Patrick at this Olympics in both the short and long (even with the falls). Obviously, the judges agreed with me, and thank goodness! They were just itching to give it to Patrick after Yuzuru had skated his LP, but there was no way that performance of Patrick's warranted overscoring.

    I think it says a lot about Patrick's performance in the long that Yuzuru was still ranked higher than him in that portion despite Yuzuru having had two falls and Patrick having had none.

  16. #276

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    I think I'm done with Figure Skating as a whole. In fact, I didn't watch much FS this Olympic. The judging finally caught up to me and I'm done. Not only the Women event was questionable. It all started in Team Event...

    Anyway, regarding Patrick, honestly, I personally feel like he was robbed for Gold. Yeah, he didn't skate well. But NOBODY skated well in the long program. But to see that Hanyu's PCS was as high as Patrick is just ridiculous. Sorry to say, Hanyu is NOT at Patrick's level yet. Patrick's more mature, elegant, great body line and overall, a total package. Sure technically, he's not as strong as Hanyu. But his presentation mark should be miles ahead of Hanyu. And with just under 5 points, it's hard to stomach that if the judging were correct, Patrick could have won by a very small margin.
    Indeed jettasian. Agree absolutely.

    It's amazing that the petition could garner 2 million over signatures. I am putting it up on my FB to share with my friends too.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  17. #277
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,174
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Well said, fscric. It comes from your heart. The intention was clear when Hanyu's PCs jumped in the GPF. But Sotnikova's win is more shocking. Here's the link to the petition if anyone is interested to read or sign. Anyway, it's history. It was good to see him enjoy himself and have so much fun.
    IMO Yuna's fans were extremely naïve to think that a clean Yuna would beat any of the Russian ladies skating their best. My only surprise was that Sotnikova ended up winning and not Lipnitskaya. lol Re the petition, some might argue that it's mostly biased Koreans who signed it and that a lot of those who thought that Sotnikova didn't deserve the gold are unfamiliar with the scoring system and that they can't even tell a salchow from a loop jump etc. lol

    As far as Patrick goes, if he didn't deserve higher PCS than Hanyu, Takahashi obviously did I suppose. Also, Jason Brown beating Denis Ten on the second mark is perfectly justified, no? There is always a justification, you know...

    I realized after the Grand Prix Final that it would be very hard if not impossible for Patrick to win the gold in Sochi but what saddened me the most was that he didn't walk through the door Hanyu left open for him. I don't know how Patrick's fans feel about his 2nd place finish but I do know that Patrick was utterly disappointed in himself and even apologized to his fellow Canadians.

    Anyways, the up side of it is that no one can say now that splatty Chan killed figure skating by winning the Olympics.

    Here is Patrick coming home from the Games.

    http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=296658

    Bob BellaciccoCTV ‏@BBellaciccoCTV · 14h
    @pchiddy is a class act!! Thx for sharing your Olympic experience with us today.


    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhQ5urdIgAA8vCq.jpg:large

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhQ5-jQCcAA9MXt.jpg:large

  18. #278
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Olympik Voids!
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,998
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I hope if he sticks it out that he and his choreographer work on helping him to portray someone without the ability to speak (for all of his programs), helping him grow his beautiful skating to new heights as he really learns how to get into that character. I would recommend a pantomime theme, learn how to transfer all of the negative word vomit into the art of sign language. Or learn how to use the arrogance for hand-bamboozling if you want to study Plushenko's antics.

    I had to do at least one post, it may be too soon, however I think he should let this be a lesson.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 02-25-2014 at 11:46 AM.

  19. #279

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    IMO Yuna's fans were extremely naïve to think that a clean Yuna would beat any of the Russian ladies skating their best. My only surprise was that Sotnikova ended up winning and not Lipnitskaya. lol Re the petition, some might argue that it's mostly biased Koreans who signed it and that a lot of those who thought that Sotnikova didn't deserve the gold are unfamiliar with the scoring system and that they can't even tell a salchow from a loop jump etc. lol

    As far as Patrick goes, if he didn't deserve higher PCS than Hanyu, Takahashi obviously did I suppose. Also, Jason Brown beating Denis Ten on the second mark is perfectly justified, no? There is always a justification, you know...

    I realized after the Grand Prix Final that it would be very hard if not impossible for Patrick to win the gold in Sochi but what saddened me the most was that he didn't walk through the door Hanyu left open for him. I don't know how Patrick's fans feel about his 2nd place finish but I do know that Patrick was utterly disappointed in himself and even apologized to his fellow Canadians.

    Anyways, the up side of it is that no one can say now that splatty Chan killed figure skating by winning the Olympics.

    Here is Patrick coming home from the Games.

    http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=296658

    Bob BellaciccoCTV ‏@BBellaciccoCTV · 14h
    @pchiddy is a class act!! Thx for sharing your Olympic experience with us today.


    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhQ5urdIgAA8vCq.jpg:large

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhQ5-jQCcAA9MXt.jpg:large
    Thanks VarBar. Indeed, imagine Patrick winning with two falls? What did they call him again? Good that he now relinquish that title to Hanyu.

    Of course he was disappointed. I too knew he had to be perfect to beat Hanyu too after GPF. And I agree he did not manage to skate the near perfect skate in TEB to walk through the opened door when Hanyu fell. I am sure this Olympics have taught him a lot more besides the disappointment. What I saw I like. The team support ... joy displayed at the success of others. How befitting an Olympic spirit and model athlete. And am happy that he was asked by his peers to speak at the end of the Gala.

    You are right, VarBar. Sotnikova was lucky not to fall. Otherwise, I think the gold would have gone to Julia. I think Kim also knew the writing on the wall when she saw the SP marks.

    A vid of Patrick's pictures put together by someone.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  20. #280

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    I would recommend a pantomime theme, learn how to transfer all of the negative word vomit into the art of sign language. Or learn how to use the arrogance for hand-bamboozling if you want to study Plushenko's antics.
    Since you bring this up, isn't it surprising that his peers asked him to speak at the Gala? Plushenko's antics? Interesting that his poor back played up just before the men's singles. I would have loved to see him persevere to win that Gold.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •