Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I think some of you are taking this way too personally since none of us is actually doing the skating. Yes it was a poor performance but we know Patrick has never had a killer instinct - he doesn't compete against other skaters as much as he competes against himself. It's a competition - he lost. I hate to be blunt here, but get over it. It's not healthy to be angry after a figure skating event - unless of course it's about the judges
    Thank you for this. Seriously, we wonder why athletes are so hard and we're thinking he should explain what happened or that we feel he should explain. Are fans really that entitled that we feel skaters can't have bad day? Patrick didn't fail to to deliver on a contract, or a promise. He won silver and had a lacklustre performance on a night where no one went for it. Let's ease up, it's not like he lost something that belonged to us.

A petition asking for a second gold medal for Patrick? Sorry, I don't buy into that. Yes, Hanyu fell but to say Patrick deserved to win is very, very debateable. He had lots of little errors that added up and it really wasn't an OGM performance either. Second gold medals should be done sparingly. I don't think this cuts it. Hanyu had a big enough lead that he could stay ahead.

vCash
    After the heartbreak of watching Patrick skate his free, I am still sad but only on his behalf. I understand how much he wanted to bring the gold to Canada, being a perfectionist I hate it when I can't perform my best at whatever I'm doing.

On the bright side, his competition is now over. I am hoping he can take some time and relax. Maybe go and watch Tessa & Scott in the free tomorrow (Monday), cheer on the Canadian ladies when they compete later this week, maybe just hang with Scott when they are both done. Take in a few events together, savor the feeling of being at their second Olympics. Take lots of photos, maybe "journal" a bit. I wish him the opportunity to experience the games now that his "job" is finished.

I am thrilled he has two Olympic medals -- TWINS! Sending out nothing but good feelings and love to our PChiddy!!
    Crazy about sports!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So is he retiring or not? I am so hopeful that he sticks around. I haven't had enough of PChiddy yet.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I hope he sticks it out for another couple of years. He's so young and such a wonderful skater that he can still win more competitions and retire on a high note....not that bringing home a silver is "low", but just for his sake (and the sake of his fans who love his skating). I'm selfish, I don't went him to retire yet .
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Maybe be should take the year off, and refresh himself, away from the critics. I think maybe he wanted the gold a bit too bad, instead of letting it happen. Still, two silvers. Good on you, Patrick! Anyone who bashes him doesn't get quality.

I don't want him to retire either

vCash
    I am confused, why are we asked to get over it? Can't we Patrick fans feel sad for him? As for the petition comment, I can't believe someone would take it literally, I was taking a jab at those who have harassed Patrick over the last few years, who have said repeatedly that a programme with multiple falls shouldn't win a competition regardless of how the others skated but have now kept silent when it's not Patrick who fell and won, my anger is directed toward those double-standard, hypocritical so called figure skating fans.

As for his future, I am of the opinion that Patrick should take a break and pursue his education which has been put on hold for too long, explore his other interests and enjoy life for a while. If he felt like returning to competition, he would do so, otherwise, there's no point returning unless he wants to be another Takahashi.

vCash
    Patrick should obviously do what he wants and nothing else should matter. I think he should take a bit of time and figure out his feelings. If he can leave, looking at his whole body of work since childhood, know he has made a tremendous contribution to the sport, and feel good about moving on then that is what he should do. It can be hard to move on after a disappointment and if that is going to follow him, then I hope he comes back without the pressure of the last four years and leaves on a high. JMHO.
    pug lover

vCash
    Many people who criticize Patrick have said shows the flaws of this system and he wouldn't win under the old 6.0 system. In truth, Patrick does the opposite: This system rewards the quality of his skating. I remember being surprised that he added the quad, but I was happy he did it as a challenge for himself and not to silence the critics. Taking a break might be what Patrick needs. He's so hard on himself because he's a perfectionist. I'm sure he'd love a do-over of his skate, as would most of the men.

vCash
    Critics also forget that compulsory figures was once part of the "old" 6.0 system. Yeah, Patrick would really suck at figures...

vCash
    Lovely photo of Patrick with his medal

Count me among those who would like Patrick to continue as an amature for another couple of seasons. IMHO, he's just starting to scratch the surface of what he can do artistically, and skating in shows won't offer the same opportunity to create memorable programs. But, if he chooses to continue competing he has to get some technical help. I would suggest that he go back to the man who taught him the 3A and quad in the first place - Doug Leigh. Barrie is just a 4 hour drive from Detroit, and I believe Doug is only doing consuting work now, so Patrick would be able to continue most of his training at DSC and keep Kathy on as his primary coach.

I hope spending time watching other athletes compete and hearing stories from people like moguls skier Alex Bilodeau who was routinely bested by Mikael Kingsbury in the events leading up to Sochi, or speedskater Bri Tutt who overcame horrible injuries following a training accident in late 2012, reignites his passion for competition.

Also, to say that if Canada couldn't win a gold medal with Patrick it's never going to happen is just silly. There's no way to tell. We have two very talented youngsters coming up in Nam Nguyen and Roman Sadovsky. Lots of potential with these little guys. Roman has already been compared to a young Patrick in terms of his ice coverage. You just never know.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    I think that if a Canadian men ever wins the gold, it will be an unexpected or surprise win, in other words not from someone excepted to break the "curse".

ETA - like Sarah Huges in 2002, but hopefully with better skating skills.
    Last edited by algonquin; 02-17-2014 at 02:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Maybe be should take the year off, and refresh himself, away from the critics. I think maybe he wanted the gold a bit too bad, instead of letting it happen. Still, two silvers. Good on you, Patrick! Anyone who bashes him doesn't get quality.

I don't want him to retire either
    I know, and he's been working on other quads too. And landing them! and i'd love him to work on his axel and rely on his technique and get over this mental thing with it (I know he doesn't have the best axel, but it's so annoying that EVERY commentator talks about it all of the time, it's like a self-fulfilling profecty!). I just can't see him stopping now, but who knows what's going through his mind. I'm totally being selfish here and I wouldn't blame him for wanting to stop or at least take a break. Would probably put things into perspective for him too and really show him what he wants to do. Let's be honest here, a lot of world class athletes get sick of what they're doing and long for a different life.

I know doing shows doesn't give him the technical help that skaters need, but it helps with performance and presentation (just look at Joannie now!!!!) so I hope he continues on with that to help him grow and also have fun.

vCash
    Is he going to be doing the show in Russia along with Tessa and Scott?

vCash
    What show in Russia? Also, is there a gala to the Olympics? If so, when is it taking place (and will they televise it)?

vCash
    Something cheerful. Patrick going ga ga over the Stanley Cup. I bet his girlfriend will be jealous!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    What show in Russia? Also, is there a gala to the Olympics? If so, when is it taking place (and will they televise it)?
    I believe it's on Saturday. I plan to watch it on nbcsn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Something cheerful. Patrick going ga ga over the Stanley Cup. I bet his girlfriend will be jealous!
    So cute - a true Canadian at heart.
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Critics also forget that compulsory figures was once part of the "old" 6.0 system. Yeah, Patrick would really suck at figures...
    yep. that's the reason scott hamilton won in sarajevo over orser.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Not true at all as he was brought up with figures by Colson. In fact this is where he gets his edge control.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm certain that manhn was being sarcastic.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast