Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Praise for Lipinski and Weir (and Gannon)

The press is loving them--not just the fashion and the quips, but the insightful commentary too.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...rprising-stars

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...nnouncers.html

vCash
    I'm enjoying them. They bring a fresh energy to the sport. Johnny's out in la la land sometimes, but Tara brings him back down to earth. Did you notice the brief cat fight during the short program yesterday? Gannon smoothed it over.

vCash
    I'm trying really hard to decide if this is Johnny or "Johnny". I mean- is it an act because he knows it will earn him money? The fishing piece was just too crazy- but almost so crazy I don't know how someone could fake it.

vCash
    Fishing piece? I'm sorry I missed that.

vCash
    I would be totally okay with L & W replacing the prime time big guns. It would give the sport a welcome shot in the arm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm trying really hard to decide if this is Johnny or "Johnny". I mean- is it an act because he knows it will earn him money? The fishing piece was just too crazy- but almost so crazy I don't know how someone could fake it.
    Who cares whether it's an act. He's great on TV-- doing commentary, doing entertaining segments, etc.
    http://www.accesshollywood.com/sochi..._video_2021337

YEAH!
    vCash
    Gannon is the best. Even HE gives more insightful comments on the actual skating than Scott & Sandra.

What I like best about Johnny & Tara is they really comment on every skater as they're watching. It really feels their commentary supports the performance rather than vice versa. On NBC, sometimes it feels more like the skater is the background for the commentators (for example, Tracy Wilson explaining what the short dance concept it while P&B were on without saying much about them).

It is clear that J&T have really watched throughout the season and they know who these lower ranked skaters are. They're able to give comments about whether this is a good or a bad skate *for them.* Johnny has skated with many of them and offered insights like this person just added a triple axel or this person had no triples until last year. That makes me a lot more engaged. They also do a good job explaining some of the downgrades and level calls. Best moment was when Johnny said Azbal from Kazakhstan "thought he was doing a mitzvah" by adding a 2sal to a flawed triple axel but it turned out he had invalidated the whole element by doing too many combos.

They need to step it up with dance though. I thought Johnny would do a better job pointing out who had good basics and good dance technique and bodyline. They're not as annoying as Tanith though.

vCash
    In NBC/Wilson's defence, they have a different audience to cater than NBCSN/L&W. It's not like Wilson would have nothing to say about P&B--she was probably told to explain the SD concept to a new audience, esp. as the SD is still new to the Olympic arena. L&W would likely have to do that if they moved to the Primetime setting.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I love Johnny and Tara. They are the new blood and may attract a younger audience to the sport, at least every 4 years.
    As it turns out, they should have asked him to craft the description. His commentary for NBC's cable and satellite-dish network, NBCSN, is remarkably vivid, concise and informative. Listen to him describe a failed quadruple jump from the men's short program: "He broke out of the revolutions too soon. For a quad, you need to hold until you feel your foot hit the ice."

In two brief sentences, he put the viewer inside a skater's mind and body. Very few commentators can pull that off. Scott Hamilton, Weir's prime-time counterpart, will use three times as many words to convey less than half as much insight.
    Well put. He also has a very soothing, pleasant speaking voice. Love him.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    They need to step it up with dance though. I thought Johnny would do a better job pointing out who had good basics and good dance technique and bodyline. They're not as annoying as Tanith though.
    As much as I love JW and TL, I don't understand why they're commentating ice dance. They really should have an ice dancer doing that. At least with pairs, Johnny has SOME experience, and there are some similarities between pairs and singles. Still, with what they do bring, you can tell they've been watching for years and they do their homework. And on singles they are just stellar. I agree about talking about what's good and bad for that individual skater. They help us appreciate the skaters who are pleased to come in 15th or 20th and are just happy to be there are do well by their own standards. And they help us understand why a seemingly great skate gets a lower score than expected, and vice-versa.

vCash
    Really enjoying Lipinski, Weir, and Gannon. They really add to the event without getting in the way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    As much as I love JW and TL, I don't understand why they're commentating ice dance. They really should have an ice dancer doing that.
    I think Tanith will be doing dance commentary in the future. I have a feeling that NBC didn't use her for commentary during these Games because of her relationship with Charlie White. Every time she's been in studio discussing dance, NBC has mentioned her relationship beforehand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Gannon is the best. Even HE gives more insightful comments on the actual skating than Scott & Sandra.
    I agree. He's a non-skater, but he clearly does his homework. He also asks L&W good questions.

Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    In NBC/Wilson's defence, they have a different audience to cater than NBCSN/L&W.
    You mean non-skaters versus skaters?

Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    As much as I love JW and TL, I don't understand why they're commentating ice dance. They really should have an ice dancer doing that.
    So let's pick one. I'm voting for my girl, Elizabeth Punsalan.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for sharing all the links! Johnny fishing, I love it! He'd fit right in if he ever came to the Sabine River where my family and I used to have a camp. We still fish there during the summer, and I could teach him how to fish for White Perch using a cane pole and shiners. Now that's something I'd really love to see him do.

I've really enjoyed the commentary by Johnny and Tara. I hope they continue to get together to do commentary in the future.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Magnificent team of Tara-Johnny-Terry.

Half of the fun is waiting to see what Johnny will wear every day. I loved his beige outfit with double-string of beads and his hot pink for the Pairs SPs. Yesterday's all-silver-bling jacket was a bit too much, though.

I bet that Johnny is saing some of his wildest outfits for dance. Rhumba sleeves, perhaps?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Does anyone know if NBCSN has on demand? I'm appalled by the prime-time coverage on NBC, but can't watch any live feeds either because of work. And if so, any link? I went to nbcolympics.com and looked for the videos and couldn't find them ..

vCash
    I once blasted Johnny's commentary, but he has worked hard and improved. I was surprised at how concise and insightful he was about technical things like deductions. And it is always good to get a personal perspective. It's clear he has done his research and/or has a good researchers. This is "Johnny" with maturity and restraint.

Terry is a consummate pro.

I watch them before heading into work, but my stream doesn't work in the office. I discovered Yahoo is running an informative live chat and follow the action there, too.

Quadless
    vCash
    These three are my commentating dream team. It's our reward for years of suffering.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    It's our reward for years of suffering.
    I know what you mean. I feel the same way about Peggy Fleming.

vCash
    Just watched L&W cover the Short Dance. I think they do well with dance. Better than I expected. What they lack in technical knowledge, they make up for with enthusiasm.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast