Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    At the end of the Daily Show earlier this week, Jon Stewart played a clip of Hoffman talking about acting. Sort of like advice for beginning actors. The part The Daily Show played started at about the 5:45 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYGIOUB2mig

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    At the end of the Daily Show earlier this week, Jon Stewart played a clip of Hoffman talking about acting. Sort of like advice for beginning actors. The part The Daily Show played started at about the 5:45 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYGIOUB2mig

That made me really sad. He did work hard on small roles and was memorable in Twister before he made it big.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Lawrence O'Donnell showed a brief clip of PSH's interview by Jon Stewart. Not sure if it was the same link as the one above.

vCash
    This thread has gone off-topic. So I started a new thread:

Is Addiction A Disease?

So if you are interested in talking about addiction, the link above will take you to that thread.

P.S. I was curious as to just how far this thread has gone off-topic. 30 of the last 31 posts have absolutely nothing to do with Philip Seymour Hoffman.

To get things back on topic, an article about Philip Seymour Hoffman:

Arrests Made in Philip Seymour Hoffman Death Investigation

It includes:

The article also mentions his partner Mimi O'Donnell and how some of their famous friends are offering support:
    Thank you PeterG for bringing this thread back on topic.

I read a couple of news stories today. One said that 4 have been arrested regarding the heroin found in PSH's home, but the other said they have only been questioned.
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-06-2014 at 04:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I think the first time I saw him was in "The Talented Mr. Ripley". He lit up the screen!
    I was blown away by his performance--perhaps because it was so unlike the character in the only movie of his (Boogie Nights) that I had seen at the time.

It seems the most talented actors are the most troubled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I was blown away by his performance--perhaps because it was so unlike the character in the only movie of his (Boogie Nights) that I had seen at the time.

It seems the most talented actors are the most troubled.
    Artists and musicians as well. I do wonder, sometimes, if creative people tend to be more vulnerable to depression. A chicken or the egg sort of thing. Could the chemical imbalances be the very things that make people more creative?

vCash
    Artists and musicians as well. I do wonder, sometimes, if creative people tend to be more vulnerable to depression. A chicken or the egg sort of thing. Could the chemical imbalances be the very things that make people more creative?
    Misery/suffering is a very important part of human life. IMO great artists often tap into it and face it head on. Some of the greatest works in various arts have their roots in tragedy. Van Gogh was another example of a suffering artist; he was almost crazy. Monet was never happy, from what I read about him. I do believe they are overly sensitive, and can feel the pain which us mortals are usually able to dampen or avoid by doing other things.

My two cents.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Philip Seymour Hoffman 'killed by toxic mix of drugs'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26394100

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died of an accidental overdose of a mixture of drugs including heroin, cocaine, amphetamine, and benzodiazepine, officials have said.

The Oscar winner, 46, was found dead at his home in New York City on 2 February with a syringe in his arm.

He had struggled with drug addiction and had recently acknowledged he had relapsed after being clean for years.

The New York medical examiner revealed the post-mortem results on Friday.

He was survived by his partner of 15 years, Mimi O'Donnell, and their three children.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Philip Seymour Hoffman 'killed by toxic mix of drugs'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26394100
    I read this yesterday and thought- what a horrible tragedy! It was an accident waiting to happen.

When will people realize drugs are extremely dangerous?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I read this yesterday and thought- what a horrible tragedy! It was an accident waiting to happen.

When will people realize drugs are extremely dangerous?
    I ask myself that question constantly. And, as if, the prescription opiates we already have are not bad enough. A new one is on the horizon, this month. http://rt.com/usa/new-painkiller-deadly-dangerous-260/ Against all reason, this drug was approved. It is potentially lethal, even if taken in prescribed doses. We know this will get into the hands of people who will abuse it. I just don't get it. I don't blame pharmaceuticals for this I blame the FDA.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I ask myself that question constantly. And, as if, the prescription opiates we already have are not bad enough. A new one is on the horizon, this month. http://rt.com/usa/new-painkiller-deadly-dangerous-260/ Against all reason, this drug was approved. It is potentially lethal, even if taken in prescribed doses. We know this will get into the hands of people who will abuse it. I just don't get it. I don't blame pharmaceuticals for this I blame the FDA.
    Maybe I've been listening to too much Coast to Coast AM or our somewhat "eccentric" overnight cleaner at work but if the drug is as dangerous as said it almost sounds like the FDA WANTS it that easy for patients to die. I mean, yes, I can see arguing the need for a drug for, say, terminal cancer patients who aren't responding to other painkillers any more, but doesn't morphine already cover that without, ironically, being that easily lethal by accident?

vCash
    One thing which is unclear, with Zohydro, is whether or not it will be available for home prescription. Or, if it will only be available in hospitals and hospice/pain centers. Not that it won't get into the wrong hands either way. But, it will be far less if it is not available for home use.

And, why did they not formulate it with the same precautions that they have used to make Oxycodone, et al, uncrushable, unable to snort?

Danceronice, are you suggesting that it would be a "legal" form of euthanasia?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    One thing which is unclear, with Zohydro, is whether or not it will be available for home prescription. Or, if it will only be available in hospitals and hospice/pain centers. Not that it won't get into the wrong hands either way. But, it will be far less if it is not available for home use.

And, why did they not formulate it with the same precautions that they have used to make Oxycodone, et al, uncrushable, unable to snort?

Danceronice, are you suggesting that it would be a "legal" form of euthanasia?
    I'm just saying, if the article is correct and a single pill badly timed could be a fatal overdose in an adult plus they haven't taken basic precautions to make misuse difficult, it certainly seems like it would make accidentally-on-purpose ODing a breeze and if it's that evident to me as a layperson, the FDA must have realized this but either does not care or finds it a desirable characteristic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'm just saying, if the article is correct and a single pill badly timed could be a fatal overdose in an adult plus they haven't taken basic precautions to make misuse difficult, it certainly seems like it would make accidentally-on-purpose ODing a breeze and if it's that evident to me as a layperson, the FDA must have realized this but either does not care or finds it a desirable characteristic.
    I am fairly certain that the article is spot on. This was covered on all major network news outlets, yesterday. There are quite a few articles discussing the serious danger and the opposition to it's release.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Gosh! I'm just sort of shocked right now. This is really sad!

RIP, Philip.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    We seem to have gone off-topic again. So I posted in the "Is Addiction A Disease" thread, which the discussion in this thread might fit into better?? If so, here is the link to that other thread:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Disease/page2
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    quietus. you decide when.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    We seem to have gone off-topic again. So I posted in the "Is Addiction A Disease" thread, which the discussion in this thread might fit into better?? If so, here is the link to that other thread:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Disease/page2
    Didn't mean to derail. I thought it was apropos, seeing as PSH had a heroin addiction. And this new drug is a very dangerous opioid.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456