vCash

World Travelers' Tips when Coming to America

World Travelers' Travel Tips when Coming to America

I found this to be an entertaining article. As I have only visited our neighbor's to the north. I can't comment on the perceptions of others. But I did find myself nodding in agreement with several perceptions, especially the "see you later" or "let's get together one".

vCash
    Interesting & in some instances amusing.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    "American food is not subtle."

vCash
    My friend married a woman he met in Russia and they settled in the U.S. The hardest thing for her to adjust to was that there was no casual visiting among friends. People didn't just drop by in the evening to socialize. I hadn't thought about it before she mentioned it. Now I even hear kids talk about "play dates", apparently even they don't just knock on someone's door anymore.

vCash
    The neighborhood I grew up in, my Moms friends would just stop by to sit on the porch and have a drink. I didn't realize it was so uncommon.

Of course, if I knocked on the door to play with the kids and they were eating, I'd be seated and given a plate of food no matter how recently my family had dinner- so maybe they were unusual.

I do wish there was more casual visiting. I didn't realize that school age kids did play dates- I thought that was just toddlers whose parents have to arrange things.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I haven't been to Russia (more's the pity) but when I was studying up on Russian culture it was mentioned that when a Russian asks "how are you?" they expect a real answer and are prepared to actually listen to your answer. I dunno if that's really true but it struck me as being The Way To Do It and so that's what I do 'cause I can't stand the bs "how ya doin? Fine." anymore. It's automatic and fake and tiresome and rude.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Most of the comments were pretty useful, but a few were headscratchers. I really liked the kind of psychological take the Russian had on Americans' focus on "being alright" versus "not being ill". The French commenter was respectful re Reservations being peoples' home, not museums. The Japanese commenter on food needs to get out more :-). The Indian commenter must have extremely specific practical everyday needs if they can't swing by Target or CVS or a local Indian grocery store and find what they need. And the Latin commenter on avoiding tap water is carrying their own fear here. Fascinating. I did appreciate the commenter who counseled against trying to impress people with volume of alcohol drunk. That behavior *should* end by age 22 in the US!

vCash
    Oh God, the tipping. That's a major one. I'm from Colombia, and I've been living here for over 8 years, but my parents still don't understand tipping. Going out to dinner with them can be mortifying because they're like, "18%?! Are you crazy?!" and I always feel bad for our waiters.

They also think people are not as warm, but they're nice, and they're amazed at how people follow all the traffic rules.

Major areas that I've had issues with are the expectation that family gets a hotel when they visit other family (still weird to me) and the sheer amount of options in a supermarket. The first time I did groceries on my own was anxiety inducing.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    "If you wear hip-hop clothes you might be mistaken for a member of a street gang."

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    "Americans really are as cheerful as they seem."

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Icetalavista View Post
    The Japanese commenter on food needs to get out more :-).
    Are you trying to say that American cuisine is subtle? Because it's a lot of things, but subtle ain't one of them.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.