Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Wagner in the Washington Post

Fantastic profile by Liz Clarke.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/spo...be-remembered/

There are things I don't like about my hometown paper, but I have to say, their figure skating coverage has been consistently excellent.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I've always liked her and that article just made me root for her even more. Wishing her amazing skates in Sochi that she'll be happy with regardless of placement.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Great feature on our hometown hero. Go Ashley Wagner of Alexandria, VA!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    That is a fine article.

Whether you agree with the choices she has made, or not; Ashley is to be admired for having the courage of her convictions, and standing by them.

vCash
    I just have so much respect for her. ahe has a tremendous fighting spirit.

I'll be cheering loudly for her from home!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    “Off the ice, I can be soft and I can be elegant and sweet. But on the ice, that’s not the kind of competitor I am,” said Wagner, 22. “I relate so much better and compete so much better as a stronger character who is a little bit, almost, evil. For me, when I feel like I’m out there tempting everybody into loving my program, that’s when I feel undefeatable.”
    That was my impression as well. Glad she has so much self-awareness to correct the mistake in the nick of time. Ashley!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Fantastic article. Go out there and skate your heart out Ashley!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    That was a nice article. I wish she could medal, but there is so much competition for those three spots. She may have to be satisfied with a medal from the team competition.

If Yuna and Mao pass on worlds she may have a shot at a world medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Camel View Post
    That was a nice article. I wish she could medal, but there is so much competition for those three spots. She may have to be satisfied with a medal from the team competition.

With Worlds being in Japan, I would be surprised to see Mao pass on the event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    With Worlds being in Japan, I would be surprised to see Mao pass on the event.
    She is probably contractually required to compete at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Camel View Post

I read somewhere that Mao and Carolina plan on competing at worlds. In Yu na's case, I suspect she will decide after the Olympics. Even if two or three of these don't appear at worlds, there is plenty of competition- the two Russian ladies, Canada's Osmond, and the USA's Gold, and possibly Suzuki & Murakami.

vCash
    Thanks so much for the link. I have always loved Her. Not just the skating but her determination, grit, and honesty.
    Hope she medals. Would be a great end to this chapter in her book.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Great stuff. Confirms the impression she made on me. And I can't believe Sochi's there already! Good luck Ashley!
    Touching the void.

vCash
    I really liked the article -- Ashley sounds very self-aware and determined without coming off as arrogant. I hope she has a great experience in Sochi.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    They did skip over a number of areas... like when the Wagner family had moved to Delaware and Ashley decided to live with Priscilla Hill instead, not even seeing her family on holidays.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    How I love an article that has actually obviously searched the background, is well-written and knowledgeable. A fantastic read.

I can't believe I only now realized that this is, in fact, going to be Ashley's first Olympics! For some reason I was under the impression that she skated in Vancouver, but non. I'm so happy she's going to get the experience.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    They did skip over a number of areas... like when the Wagner family had moved to Delaware and Ashley decided to live with Priscilla Hill instead, not even seeing her family on holidays.
    And this is relevant, how???

It was not exactly a full length biography LOL! I am sure if she wins a medal she will write one and you can read all the family dirty laundry

But of course if we have a chance to "gossip" on here we won't miss it will we?

vCash
    I wish Ashley well. I hope that she really surprises skeptics in Sochi. I had a dream last night: that USA won Team Gold (in part due to mistakes of other faves, which could happen)...Gracie and Ashley both earn Gold medals...Gracie for the SP and Ashley for the LP! Hey, one can dream, eh?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    She sounds very conflicted to me, but I hope she skates her best at Sochi. I don't know what to think of her father, considering the comment in this article and his response in another article when she complained to him about having to live off peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-03-2014 at 04:46 PM.

vCash
    "Unassailable" criteria...seriously. I am flummoxed by the assertion by a "journalist" (as opposed to an oped writer). NB, I don't think Wagner deserves to be attacked for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast