Thread: Barcelona Tips?

Failing her snatch
    vCash

Barcelona Tips?

Hi all, off to Barcelona on Wednesday for 5 days so can anyone give recommendations? I know the 'obvious' sites and plan to visit but if anyone has any recommendations for something else, let me know?

Is getting the hop on hop off buses worth it etc? I guess they are, we used them in Dublin and they were great.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Hold on to your valuables! I traveled with a group there and 2 or 3 people of our group had attempted thefts occur etc....

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fsfann View Post
    Hold on to your valuables! I traveled with a group there and 2 or 3 people of our group had attempted thefts occur etc....
    Er cheers - that's pretty standard for a large city that attracts a lot of tourists though, unfortunately.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    Is getting the hop on hop off buses worth it etc?
    I thought so. Yes, it's touristy, but I was only there for a day and a half so it was a good way to get around to all the sites in a short period of time. IIRC they have a 1-day option and a 2-day one, the 2-day one is only slightly more and might be better if you plan to spend more time at some of the locations.

In my personal opinion I found La Sagrada a letdown, but could have happily spent ages more time at La Pedrera and Parc Güell.

But the best part of the hop-on-hop-off busses, IMO, was just riding around looking at the amazing city. Barcelona has to be one of the most visually exciting cities in the world, and seeing it from the open top of the bus was fantastic.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    OTOH I think the interior of La Sagrada is one of the most extraordinary and beautiful sights I've seen and would encourage anyone to put it at the top of the list in Barcelona. The exterior is pretty impressive, but it's the interior that floored me (apart from the rows of stackable chairs).

Ride the teleferique! (Not the little one that goes up the hill, but the one that flies across from the hill and lets you off at the harbour).
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Er cheers - that's pretty standard for a large city that attracts a lot of tourists though, unfortunately.
    Yes it is, but even more so in Barcelona.

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    if anyone has any recommendations
    Drink a lot.

vCash
    It's worth the trip to Montserrat. The scenery is stunning. Love Barcelona! We also ate the best Salmon we've ever had there. Enjoy, I'm so jealous

vCash
    Hi all, off to Barcelona on Wednesday for 5 days so can anyone give recommendations? I know the 'obvious' sites and plan to visit but if anyone has any recommendations for something else, let me know?

Is getting the hop on hop off buses worth it etc? I guess they are, we used them in Dublin and they were great.
    For short visits it´s worth, but the old city they will show you a lot of the city so you can get a good idea for your walk visits. There are different routes, I took time ago the modernism route (maybe they have changed it) and liked it a lot.

Barcelona has a lot of things to enjoy but if you can take one day out I liked a lot Dalí museum at the very near city of Figueres (there is a good train connection).

I guess Park Güell (and Pedralbes Abbey) is in your visit list, since one year ago the entry to the park isn´t anymore free, but the ticket money is worthy to spend.

Enjoy and have a great time
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    The subway system is really easy and convenient. Also taxis are very cheap there, especially if you have 2 or more people in your group. It might be worth it in the summer when it's extremely hot actually.

I'd choose one of Casa Milla or Casa Batllo to go in. The tickets are super expensive and I don't think you need to see both unless you're a huge Gaudi fanatic. I'd also just wander through the free parts of Park Guell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Yes it is, but even more so in Barcelona.
    Indeed. I worked in Port Aventura in 2007, so I often went to Barcelona on my days off. Once, as I was alone around Sants station, a "tourist" came to me and asked me in English if I knew where the Sagrada Familia was. While I was explaining him how to get there, an undercover police officer came and asked me to show my passport and what if I had cash with me. Obviously they were con people who must have thought I was some naive Asian tourist. So I yelled in Spanish to the false cop that I was French, that I didn't need a passport to be in Spain, and I asked him to show me his badge again. Of course, he and the "tourist" left me alone after that. Went back two years ago on holiday and didn't get any problem though.

About the Sagrada Familia, I must confess I find it plain ugly (and yet impressive) from the outside. But when I got in, I was overwhelmed by its unique aesthetics, atmosphere and spectacular architecture.

Anyway, enjoy Barcelona, a beautiful city with mostly welcoming people.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I found the hop on/hop off over priced and not really worth it, but I also decided to take it on a lark and could have planned it better (i.e. earlier in the day).

Sagrada Familia was simply amazing.

Definitely worth it to go to Montserrat or Figueres if you get a chance.
    And the telerifique was fun!

Mostly: have a blast!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Well I am back and I wasnt wuz robbed. Some annoying street sellers and beggars (I'm a sucker for a beggar) but nothing untoward.

The most amazing experience ....I miss it already, although my husband's wallet won't
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Well I am back and I wasnt wuz robbed. Some annoying street sellers and beggars (I'm a sucker for a beggar) but nothing untoward.

The most amazing experience ....I miss it already, although my husband's wallet won't
    There's always the GPF

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Just booked for GPF so this was a handy thing to read.. Glad you had a nice time Sharpie I'm going to spend a few days beyond the comp so I can play tourist, I see there are quite a few day tours from Barcelona to other places as well - can't believe how cheap the hotels there in comparison to Paris, London etc., actually cheaper for me to fly to Barcelona for the GPF than travel to the Skate Canada grand prix in my own country (air fare and hotel in Kelowna).
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash

Glad you had an amazing time SHARPIE! I loved my time in Barcelona and would love to go back. I won't have enough $$ saved for the GPF