vCash

Exclamation Skate Guard Interview With Dick Button

Interviewing Dick Button was an absolute dream come true. Like so many of you, I grew up watching figure skating on television and it was Dick and Peggy Fleming's amazing commentary that really made me interested in the sport. Likewise, it was the amazing skating that came out of all of the great professional competitions in the 90's that made me fall in LOVE with skating and want to skate myself. I started blogging less than a year ago and in that short time, have published interviews with over 100 skaters, coaches, choreographers, historians and fans of the sport and have written over 100 other pieces, many about artistic and professional skating and the sport's history. I don't really 'do' a lot on 'IJS skating', because I think great skating is so much MORE than that. I'm a firm believer that EVERYONE who's touched by figure skating has an important story to share but in all honesty, in interviewing everyone from Gary Beacom to Jason Brown to Natalia Bestemianova, Shawn Sawyer, Anita Hartshorn and Meagan Duhamel, the stories have been OUT OF THIS WORLD but my one 'Holy Grail' was the chance to interview 2 time Olympic Gold Medallist Dick Button.

In conjunction with the interview, I had 'Dick Week' on my blog at http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard, sharing short videos of people in the skating community talking about Dick's impact on skating. I thank Audrey Weisiger, CBC Sports commentator P.J. Kwong, Jeremy Abbott's amazing mother Allison Scott, Doug Mattis, Lorna Brown and EVERYONE who contributed. That was amazing and I've sent all of the videos off to Dick!

Be sure to also check out ManleyWoman SkateCast's upcoming interview with Dick as well. We worked together in coordinating our interviews and I'm a HUGE fan of the work Allison has done in bringing these amazing podcasts she does to life with some of the world's best skaters. I'm a firm believer that celebrating and talking about skating can be about learning and can be a POSITIVE experience without all of the snark and I applaud all of the amazing bloggers, podcasters, writers and website owners out there committed to keeping us educated about the sport and its amazing stories and painting skating with a positive brush - Allison's Manleywoman SkateCast is one of the best there is!

Without further ado, my interview with a living legend, 2 time Olympic Gold Medallist, 5 time World Champion, 3 time North American Champion, European Champion, 7 time U.S. Champion, skating pioneer and builder, author and much loved skating commentator Dick Button:

http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2014...ck-button.html

vCash
    Great interview! And great videos of Dick throughout the years. Thanks.

vCash
    Glad you enjoyed it, giselle23! Had so much with this one. Got to have a really fun off the record chat with Dick as well where we talked a bit more about Sochi, Evgeni Plushenko (including the famous 'bamboozling us with his hands' quote) and Laetitia Hubert. He's just as much fun and well spoken at the same time as you'd expect him to be.

vCash
    Thank you so much!

Your questions were not the "same-old same old".
    His answers were wonderful.

My favorite was your last question.
    Mr. Button's goal mirrors my own!

vCash
    Glad you enjoyed, skatesindreams and you're so welcome! I agree with Dick's goal in the last question as well. It's great to see so many wonderful performances from yesteryear available on YouTube for instance, but when it comes to sharing a lot of the rarer media materials out there, unfortunately there's a bit of a hoarder mentality I've come across. My personal opinion is that these materials should be shared with the world publicly, not kept hidden away.

vCash
    Loved it! Thanks a bunch! I will share it with friends who heart "Uncle" Dickie!

vCash
    Thanks so much, paskatefan! Reaching a larger audience is always a challenge as a vast majority of skating fans are only interested in "IJS skating" and the sport's current crop of stars! I'm all about celebrating the sport's history AS WELL as the current stars of the sport... it's all about the bigger picture IMO! Without Dick's contributions to skating, figure skating simply wouldn't be what it is today.

vCash
    I'm all about celebrating the sport's history AS WELL as the current stars of the sport... it's all about the bigger picture IMO!
    Without Dick's contributions to skating, figure skating simply wouldn't be what it is today.
    Without Mr. Button, most of us in the US would have seen very little skating.
    His production company provided much of the footage we saw, especially in the early years.

vCash
    Excellent point, skatesindreams. There's also SO much to be said about Candid Productions and how it changed the landscape of professional skating. To offer a venue for skaters to continue their competitive careers free of rules, regulations and restrictions and let their true artistry shine... there was nothing like those professional competitions.

vCash
    I believe that Candid Productions provided footage for ABC until the network set up a unit of their own to cover skating.
    I think Doug Wilson confirmed it in one of his interviews for Allison Manley's podcast.

vCash
    I love the interview! You asked some really good questions, and it must have been so exciting to get a chance to interview Dick Button. I can't wait to listen toAllison's podcast as well.

vCash
    Thanks lulu! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It was beyond exciting! I can't wait to listen to Allison's podcast as well. She's always SO on the money.

vCash
    Great interview, thanks for that!

vCash
    Thanks, Maximillian! I appreciate you saying so!