Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    As I'd mentioned before related specifically to Russia, in certain other countries, a man who does ballet, or dances in general, or does figure skating, is not considered to be un-macho. Those things are considered masculine for a man to do. It is completely appropriate in such cultures for a man to dance tango, or to dance ballet, or to figure skate - it is considered manly to do so. There isn't this "figure skating is gay" thing at all.
    Yeah. Look what Plushenko gets away with (Sex Bomb, etc). And I wonder if Johnny has actually had more homophobia experiences in the U.S. than in Russia for that reason, ironically.
    As for River Dance, I would think middle America would love it. Didn't they all go gaga over Michael Flatley during that whole trend? Metallica, on the other hand...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    Yeah. Look what Plushenko gets away with (Sex Bomb, etc). And I wonder if Johnny has actually had more homophobia experiences in the U.S. than in Russia for that reason, ironically.
    As for River Dance, I would think middle America would love it. Didn't they all go gaga over Michael Flatley during that whole trend? Metallica, on the other hand...
    Exactly re: Plushy. And if you want to talk about failing arms and Beilman spins, he’s got to be right up there with your traditional sense of less masculinity…but as GAH said, it’s totally fine in Russia.

I agree with IceJunkie. Our sport need not to achieve the level of “masculinity” some would want, that we should embrace the uniqueness of combining artistry and athleticism.

vCash
    The Frozen Closet.....

This is so all about men, you'd think there weren't any gay women in the sport of figure skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The Frozen Closet.....

This is so all about men, you'd think there weren't any gay women in the sport of figure skating!
    Or bisexual people.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Or asexual.
    Or celibate.
    Or on alternating Tuesdays,
    nothing in particular.
    ;-)
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    The Frozen Closet.....

Well if there are then they need to make themselves visible. You're more likely to find lesbians in ice- hockey or speed-skating though. That maybe is stereotyping but it's true to a large extent.

vCash
    Re the point about judges supposedly hating unusual music...maybe it's just in Europe or Canada but a # of programs with exactly that have done well-
    -Vanessa Gusmeroli's spinning to crackling flame sounds as Joan of Arc
    -Laeticia Hubert's Hooker on Crack (I'm sure there's a more official name for it ;-)
    -Anissina and Peizerat's I have a Dream
    -Babs & Maurizio's motorcycle Romeo and Juliet
    -Steven Cousins' free to a rock drum solo (Pink Floyd??)
    -Joannie Rochette's short to Jimi Hendrix
    -Torvill and Dean's Bolero, which was groundbreaking at the time
    -the Duschenays' Patinage Sauvage

maybe skaters outside the US can get away with more daring programs

Interesting how many of those programs were with French or French-heritage skaters! Voidyness.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Flailing is not considered to be unmasculine in itself: it's the quality of the movement. In fact, graceless flailing can be seen as more masculine than beautifully placed and calm, balletic arms. Plushenko might have been flexible, but his Biellman's were powerful, and powerful 〓maculine in this context. Sex God was a self-parody, and Dan Hollander in a dress or the Ukranian ice acrobats where one played a woman as comedy are as American as the skits where the football team dresses up like cheerleaders and the cheerleaders dress up like football players.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'd call Prince pretty unusual. Or Daft Punk.

vCash
    Ha, I always think Plushy and Johnny had the least "masculine" approach to their programs. And the reason why Plushy excelled better was his far superior basic skating skills, consistency in jumps, speed & ice coverage, and spins. It's unfortunate that some view arm flailings by male skaters as "gay", even though they are done by non-gay skaters alike. But more importantly, give me pointed toes and good form any day, and if they're considered gay, then so be it. IMO, all this talk about wanting to change our sport to be more "masculine" only furthers the internal homophobia and heterosexism within and outside our sport. Also, I just hope skaters and skating coaches are not negating the raw aspect of skating and quality of performances...cuz at the end of the day, if you can't deliver, you can't blame it on homophobia, choice of music, etc.

vCash
    The Frozen Closet.....

Yup, or any truly hetero men. Athletes are Athletes - let them skate and make their sexual orientation "statements" whenever (and wherever, including the Olys, if the individual so chooses) they are comfortable doing so. USFS trying to "control" the vision is not helping anyone, of any sexual orientation.

vCash
    The Frozen Closet.....

It is interesting. I don't know of a single current or former elite skater who is out as a lesbian, and have never once seen the issue mentioned even in passing, even in lengthy articles dedicated to the subject of gay MALE figure skaters such as the two posted recently here. Given that overall women outnumber men by a large margin in the sport (though the numbers that would be categorized as "elite" are about equal) it would be very surprising if there weren't any. I wonder if any lesbian women might feel even more pressure to stay closeted than the gay men. At least the gay men have some openly gay male predecessors.

It's difficult to know where the estimate that 25-50% of male figure skaters are gay came from (and to what levels that applies-- is the proportion different based on level?), but supposing that is/were correct then given that overall female skaters outnumber male skaters in the U.S. by a large margin (I don't know the exact stats on that either, but I recall reading an estimate of 12 to 1 in one article about 10 years ago), that the number of lesbian women total in the sport MIGHT be at least in the same order of magnitude as the number of gay men if the percentage of lesbian women in figure skating isn't vastly different from the percentage in the general public (is it? for gay men it seems that the percentage of gay men in the sport is many times higher-- I wonder if there are fewer lesbian women in figure skating than in the general public by percentage).
    Last edited by RFOS; 02-01-2014 at 08:02 PM.

vCash
    I think it’s a fair question, RFOS, on why there aren’t any known lesbian skater in our sport. Perhaps there’s a double stigma for lesbians to partake in our sport? Double stigma from the straight world…and the gay world…that’s why you see more lesbians in speed skating and ice hockey, as another poster mentioned. In these sports, you don’t need to be all dolled up as you do in figure skating. Unless if you’re a lipstick lesbian, the visibility of a butch lesbian in skating is non-existent. I’m not saying it’s right, just from my own observation.

Am I the only one who has ever thought Tonya Harding would eventually come out as a lesbian skater? She certainly didn’t fit the mold of what some are talking about, yet she was once U.S. National champion, and had she landed her 3Axel and other jumps, she could have been a multiple National champion, and perhaps Olympic medalist, despite her hard-edge approach to her skating.

Made In Canada said in the other thread, and I agree with him/her that many skaters are still relatively young, so expecting them to figure out their sexuality is a bit unfair, let alone to tackle the issue of politics and freedom of another country. Heck, when I was 16 years old, my main worry was running out of Aquanet hairspray, lol.

That’s why I admire Ashley Wagner so much…she claims there are many out skaters, and kudos to her for standing up on what she believes in. Others may not feel the same way or aren’t ready, and that’s okay too.
    Last edited by Fan123; 02-01-2014 at 11:10 PM.

vCash
    Am I the only one who has ever thought Tonya Harding would eventually come out as a lesbian skater?
    I think so.

vCash
    Well, someone mentioned Scandinavian countries, and while there is a higher acceptance of gays in Denmark than in the US in general, and fewer instances of bullying, hate crimes and so forth (- and much less issue with religious crap), it is still, like in the US, sometimes seen as 'less preferable' to be gay.
    Figure skating is also perceived as a gay sport, similar to here, and maybe even more, as there are no way a Danish guy would ever win a medal... OTOH the federation doesn't seem too concerned with media perception - as there is no media coverage...
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    Thanks for that perspective,maatTheViking, very interesting.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I dunno. I think it's probably a manly man turn-on to imagine two pwetty pwincess skaters getting it on so being a gay female skater is like, okay since it's manly men approved.

FWIW I do not approve the above concept. I think it's seriously sexist and sez straight men have some isssssssssues :-P
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    The Frozen Closet.....

Well, we can always fantasize, eh? Love to see two of my faves (taller dark haired with shorter blonde) dressed up as this couple, skate amorously to a program, and get tongues wagging, no pun intended. http://www.fempop.com/wordpress/wp-c...-Gabrielle.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I think so.
    Ha, among my circle of lesbian friends, Tonya was their it girl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan123 View Post
    Ha, among my circle of lesbian friends, Tonya was their it girl.
    Which proves absolutely nothing.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast