Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

vCash
    Sending out love and support for Gazpacho and cruising.
    Keep fighting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Wellbutrin is the only medication that I know of that does not significant weight gain. For some it actually helps with weight loss. It is not like the typical SSRI's and SNRI's that has weight gain as a common side effect. It actually works on dopamine.

Thinking about you guys and hope things get better for you.
    I'm not familiar with all antidepressants, but it's true that a ton of them do tend to cause weight gain. Some of these medications cause weight gain through dual mechanisms. First, they increase your appetite. If that's not bad enough, they also slow down your metabolism, and the slowed metabolism lingers even after you stop taking the medication.

This is a fact that mental health professionals, in my experience, are quick to brush off. They can't seem to understand why this would be a barrier in getting people to take these meds.

My psychiatrist wanted to put me on a medication that is known to cause even more weight gain than the ones I'm on now. I refused the new medication because of the weight gain and complained that the current weight gain was already making me feel depressed.

The nurse said, "Have you considered practicing portion control?"

It's already damn difficult to practice portion control when you're not depressed and not on medications. You expect me to suddenly practice portion control when you put me on a medication that makes me ravenously hungry?!

vCash
    Twilight1, I can't try Wellbutrin. It is strongly not recommended for people with eating disorders. Don't remember what the reason is. Though I think it is more than just weight issues, there is some physical reason. My doctor said he would not prescribe it for me.

Gazpacho, I totally understand what you are saying. It really is unfortunate that so many antidepressants have this side effect. Even people who are not depressed get upset when they gain weight. When you are already feeling down, weight gain just makes it worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Gazpacho ... will continue praying for longer good times and shorter bad ones.
    Me too. Hugs also to cruisin
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    This is a fact that mental health professionals, in my experience, are quick to brush off. They can't seem to understand why this would be a barrier in getting people to take these meds.

My psychiatrist wanted to put me on a medication that is known to cause even more weight gain than the ones I'm on now. I refused the new medication because of the weight gain and complained that the current weight gain was already making me feel depressed.

The nurse said, "Have you considered practicing portion control?"

It's already damn difficult to practice portion control when you're not depressed and not on medications. You expect me to suddenly practice portion control when you put me on a medication that makes me ravenously hungry?!

I think I might have punched a nurse if he/she said that to me. Very dismissive. That nurse must be related to the counselor I had long ago, who said, "I don't think you want to get well." (treating my depression). Clearly he paid NO ATTENTION to the info on depression during his training.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    How unprofessional of the nurse. I'd communicate that to the doctor next time (or via letter) -- that was incredibly unhelpful.

vCash
    It is especially unprofessional because they know the meds cause weight gain. They know the side effects. And they know they are dealing with a person who already feels terrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I think I might have punched a nurse if he/she said that to me. Very dismissive. That nurse must be related to the counselor I had long ago, who said, "I don't think you want to get well." (treating my depression). Clearly he paid NO ATTENTION to the info on depression during his training.
    It's about more than training. Therapy is an art, not a science. If it were a science, we could build a robot that would provide good therapy. Some people could step into a therapist's office today and, for a subset of cases, be a more effective therapist than people who have been at it for years. Some people are naturally more talented than others, as with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It is especially unprofessional because they know the meds cause weight gain. They know the side effects. And they know they are dealing with a person who already feels terrible.
    In fact, SHE is the one who told me that the most common side effect is weight gain!

Everyone says the wrong things sometimes, and sometimes they're not aware that they said something so damaging. Maybe she would be receptive to the feedback if done in a polite manner. But then again, maybe not.

Do you think I should tell her in a straightforward manner that she said something unhelpful and hurtful, or is that not worth the risk of (probably subtle and possibly unconscious) retaliation?

vCash
    Politely speak to her about your concerns. The relationship between you and your therapist is an important part of the therapy itself.
    Therapy is an art, not a science. If it were a science, we could build a robot that would provide good therapy. Some people could step into a therapist's office today and, for a subset of cases, be a more effective therapist than people who have been at it for years. Some people are naturally more talented than others, as with everything.
    A very wise statement. One of my professors in Grad school said that counseling is a performance art. I never forgot that.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Hi, Just checking in to say hi and hope that you are doing ok!
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    [double post]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    A very wise statement. One of my professors in Grad school said that counseling is a performance art. I never forgot that.
    That's pretty cynical of your professor, bordering on offensive. The performing arts are about adopting a different role, pretending to be someone you're not, and memorizing scripts. The vast majority of counselors are not acting when they say they care and want to help.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    "performance art" is not the same thing as "the performing arts". you may still find it cynical/offensive, of course, but I think it's a good description.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    That's pretty cynical of your professor, bordering on offensive. The performing arts are about adopting a different role, pretending to be someone you're not, and memorizing scripts. The vast majority of counselors are not acting when they say they care and want to help.
    I see what you're saying, but he didn't mean it like that. I believe he meant as a therapist you must juggle a lot of information in your head, all the while remaining present, genuine, and engaged....not acting like you are someone else. I found that with some clients it was like walking a tightrope. It can be a tough job. A therapist does have to adopt a 'role'. They are not your 'friend', they are not your 'enemy', they are not your 'boss'. Like you said there are some qualities that cannot be taught, they are innate in one's personality.

vCash
    (((Gazpacho))) Sending you love and support.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I believe he meant as a therapist you must juggle a lot of information in your head, all the while remaining present, genuine, and engaged....not acting like you are someone else. I found that with some clients it was like walking a tightrope. It can be a tough job. A therapist does have to adopt a 'role'. They are not your 'friend', they are not your 'enemy', they are not your 'boss'. Like you said there are some qualities that cannot be taught, they are innate in one's personality.
    I think this is true, especially since a lot of therapists use scripts they learned in school, such as active listening. A Counselling Psychology program I'm familiar with teaches a lot of scripts and has a lot of 'rules' (i.e, don't give advice). As a result, they produce cookie-cutter graduates.

I also think that the best therapists are mostly genuine and able to be flexible and intuitive in responding to different clients. As a result, they do not need to act a part, though they do need to remain focused and positive.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Just a quick "Hi" and to let you all know I am thinking about you!!!
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    How are you doing Gazpacho? Hopefully better.

I am not as panicked as I was, though I am still a bit shaky. The problem is that when I get so anxious, it really effects my reflux and stomach. I have been on Prilosec for 2 weeks now, and it's just starting to not feel like I swallowed battery acid. Going to have to stay on daily for another two weeks then go back to every other day.

vCash
    Just want to add my wishes that Gazpacho is doing better ... I hope, cruisin, that things improve for you also.

vCash
    I hope it settles down quickly, cruisin. That's an awful feeling.

I'm thinking about you, Gazpacho. Now that it is summer, I wonder: do you love gazpacho (the soup)? Do you have a favorite recipe for it? It is my favorite summer soup, but somehow the attempts I make at home never turn out all that well.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Waving hi to both Gazpacho and cruisin! ((HUG even though it's really warm here so I might be sweaty))

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast