vCash

Moving to Taiwan for a year! My options...?

So, I'll be moving to Taiwan in August for a year, teaching English in schools partnered with a non-profit ministry and corporate sponsors! I'm excited, but it's going to be a big adjustment considering that I've never been outside the US before.

As I make my preparations and start sorting out what I'm going to need as far as luxury creature comforts, I'm having to keep in mind that just because I have a certain service/subscription, it's not necessarily going to work on a non-US IP.

One big thing that I was wondering if you could help me out with, is online figure skating competitions. What are my options as far as that goes in Taiwan? I probably won't have access to a physical TV (non-profit won't provide one for various reasons), so it's all got to be online. I was thinking about getting an IceNetwork subscription, and then realized that a lot of it might not work with a non-US IP address. I know how to "mask my IP", but I'd like to figure out my other options before I resort to that.

There's also stuff like how to keep up with my TV shows and movies. Any suggestions from people living in that neck of the woods or know how it works would be greatly appreciated.

vCash
    You will watch is on Latvian stream with all the rest of us and end up collecting money for flowers for the Latvian commentators and sports direction!

Exciting opportunity living in Taiwan, I am sure you will enjoy it!

btw, there are many ways of buying and using US IP from other locations. I will post details after I speak with my friend who has more experience.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    I've never done it before, but this website is a great resource for all things related to teaching English in Taiwan: http://www.michaelturton.com/Taiwan/teach_intro.html

vCash
    I bought a VPN before I went to China - I used StrongVPN - and I have no idea what I would have done without it. I highly recommend it. Then you can still access Hulu, Netflix, etc., which allowed me to keep up with my shows. I told the VPN I was in San Fransisco.

I bought a bunch of wall charger adapters and only needed to use one of them twice. The wall plugs in China allowed for the use of American-style plugs 99% of the time. I haven't been to Taiwan, but I'd research that before I spent money again.

vCash
    ^^ I've been told I won't need one when I go to Taiwan. I will probably get just one in case I travel during my breaks; might go to a place that doesn't use American-style plugs and I'll wish I'd thought ahead.

vCash
    Taiwan uses the same wall plug as USA. Will message you privately.

vCash
    My brother lived in Taiwan for several years. Wonderful place. You didn't mention if you were going to be in Taipei or another city. I've only visited Taipei and I understand there are some language and cultural differences between different parts of the island. If you want to be put in touch with my brother message me privately. One thing you will enjoy is the food. I think that Taiwan has the best regional Chinese cuisine by far and good food can be had very cheaply. Lodging, however, is outrageous.