Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Amanda Knox's conviction reinstated by appeals court in Italy

This sounds like such a nightmare!

The Italian appeals court vacated the Not Guilty verdict against Amanda and her ex-boyfirend Rafael and reinstated the Guilty verdict.

Now her attorney is appealing and taking it to the supreme court. Amanda is in Seattle, and she did not go to Italy for the retrial but Rafael is very much there and facing it all.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/free/2...ld-appeal.html

Such a sad story! We don't know what Amada did or did not do, but she was declared not guilty after spending 4 years in an Italian prison. In the USA she could not have been charged again after being released with a Not Guilty verdict- am I correct?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Such a sad story! We don't know what Amada did or did not do, but she was declared not guilty after spending 4 years in an Italian prison. In the USA she could not have been charged again after being released with a Not Guilty verdict- am I correct?
    Correct, and sources say the US could refuse extradition on this basis. I'm not sure I support holding US citizens to US legal standards when they are in other countries, but I do think the Italian courts have been essentially a clown car on this case.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    At least Amanda is here in the states. I think no way will she be extradited.

I feel so badly for Rafael!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I feel horribly for them both. Thank goodness she is here but she will never be able to leave the country for fear of other countries extraditing her. I suppose there are far worse countries to be stuck in.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    but I do think the Italian courts have been essentially a clown car on this case.
    That's a perfect description of this fiasco. Same thing when the Italian courts sentenced six scientists to six years in prison (and a $10 million fine) for not predicting the earthquake that struck L'Aquila in 2009. But then again, it took nearly 400 years for the Pope to express regret on the way Galileo's case was handled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I feel horribly for them both. Thank goodness she is here but she will never be able to leave the country for fear of other countries extraditing her. I suppose there are far worse countries to be stuck in.
    Really a small price to pay for her safety.....

What a mess all of this is. I can't imagine, though, that the Italian courts in reversing a not guilty verdict would have much sway to extradite her.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I hope they are appealing as was stated above, didn't know it had already been started, but surely The Supreme Court of Italy might have a more sane verdict, I believe there is no DNA evidence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    That's a perfect description of this fiasco. Same thing when the Italian courts sentenced six scientists to six years in prison (and a $10 million fine) for not predicting the earthquake that struck L'Aquila in 2009. But then again, it took nearly 400 years for the Pope to express regret on the way Galileo's case was handled.
    And the Pope who did express regret wasn't Italian.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Is there a limit to the number of trials that could be held under Italian law? How long could this go on?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    How long could this go on?
    Depends on how big the gas tank of the clown car is.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Depends on how big the gas tank of the clown car is.
    Thanks, makes total sense.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I feel terrible for Amanda. All the evidence is completely circumstantial. I do not understand, for a moment, how a court could actually convict her. I do believe that she made some bad choices, but I think she already served time for those. I don't think she had a hand in murdering Kercher at all.

vCash
    I think Rafael was kind of nuts to stay in Italy while this was a possibility.

I don't know where he could have safely gone, but ... I would not want to be him right now. Obviously I don't think they committed the crimes they are accused of.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

I don't know where he could have safely gone, but ... I would not want to be him right now. Obviously I don't think they committed the crimes they are accused of.
    I didn't follow the case all that well....is Rafael Italian?
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

I don't know if this actually happened but there could be a couple of possible scenarios - 1) he did not have a passport, although it's so easy to travel in Europe that it's hard to imagine he did not have one, 2)After his first conviction, may be they took away his passport so he won't try to run to another country- I don't know what Italian laws are for a convict, 3)even if he had the passport with him, it would have been difficult for him to get through airports to escape to another country, once he was charged with murder (and after his conviction).

I feel even more sorry for Rafael than for Amanda. At least she is in a safe place- in her home country, free, and with her family. I doubt that the US govt will extradite her, particularly after seeing the whole circus. There is no way she can get a fair trial in Italy.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    LOL at all the 'Poor Amanda!' handwringing! . Oh well, she can make plenty of money appearing on Oprah now.

I'd rather save my sympathies for the Kercher family thanks!
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I feel terrible for Amanda. All the evidence is completely circumstantial.
    Circumstantial evidence can bring about a conviction if there is enough of it and it all points to the person being guilty.

Amanda Knox deserved her time in prison for her perjury and falsely accusing someone else of committing the murder. Anybody who does something like that deserves what they get.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    I didn't follow the case all that well....is Rafael Italian?
    Yes. But why should he, or would he flee the country? it would have made him look guilty. I really don't think anyone should be fleeing their country to get out of a murder trial. What kind of freedom is living on the run?

Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    LOL at all the 'Poor Amanda!' handwringing! . Oh well, she can make plenty of money appearing on Oprah now.

I'd rather save my sympathies for the Kercher family thanks!
    Yep! People are in prison all around the world for things they didn't do...and the US isn't an exception. How many men have been executed and then proven innocent? Amanda did make some bad decisions and I don't think the evidence is there that she OR Rafael did it, but she's made a fortune while the Kercher family couldn't even all afford plane fares to go to the trial. In all this legal and media circus, let's not forget a murder did happen and an innocent girl died.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Circumstantial evidence can bring about a conviction if there is enough of it and it all points to the person being guilty.

Amanda Knox deserved her time in prison for her perjury and falsely accusing someone else of committing the murder. Anybody who does something like that deserves what they get.
    I agree with the latter sentence. As to the circumstantial evidence...we could only speculate about the verdict that would have been reached in another legal system, but it's pretty sketchy. The fact the court of appeal threw it out last time because the evidence didn't stack up spoke volumes, and this new trial has changed the alleged motive to one that hadn't been completely shattered by the court of appeal. The only issue is...there's still no DNA evidence and the motive is sketchy at best. I doubt they did it, but they're the only ones who really know.

I'm astounded that more weight hasn't been given to the fact that Rudy Guede had his sentence reduced for implicating Amanda and Rafael. But really? He implicated them in the same way she tried to implicate another - to pass off guilt and get out of a heftier sentence. The forensic evidence suggests he did it alone and then lied to save himself.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    I don't feel sorry for her.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post

Yep! People are in prison all around the world for things they didn't do...and the US isn't an exception. How many men have been executed and then proven innocent? Amanda did make some bad decisions and I don't think the evidence is there that she OR Rafael did it, but she's made a fortune while the Kercher family couldn't even all afford plane fares to go to the trial. In all this legal and media circus, let's not forget a murder did happen and an innocent girl died.
    And if Amanda is innocent, which many think she is (myself included), then none of that is her fault. People seem to think that Amanda should spend the rest of her life locked up in a room feeling horrible for the Kercher family. Amanda has made some bad decisions and has never been one to come across as very remorseful but if I were wrongly convicted and went through this entire mess, I might have a hard time being too remorseful for anyone else as well. It is horrible that the Kercher died but it is also horrible that a young girl has had her life ruined. As for the $$$, why shouldn't she make money while she can? Her family spent millions defending her and getting her out of that country and going to visit when she was in prison. She is trying her best to recoup that. She knows more trials are to come and those aren't going to be free. She needs to make all the money she can.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast