Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

two quick questions about Brooklyn

Well, two variations on the same question:

So for my upcoming trip to NYC in April I was thinking about possibly staying in Brooklyn this time, to save a bit of money. (Either a hotel or apartment rental.) But I don't know Brooklyn well at all, so am looking for some guidance re: which parts of Brooklyn are better. Most of the stuff we'll be doing is in Manhattan, so close to the subway is one criterion, but beyond that I have no clue. Doesn't have to be upscale, just clean & safe.

Also, even if we don't stay in Brooklyn, I want to spend a half day or so just walking around a couple of neighbourhoods. But again, which one(s)? Mostly interested in just looking -- at the buildings, window shopping, etc.

TIA

p.s. Just naming the neighbourhood won't mean anything to me, so cross-street info or subway stop would be helpful. Thx!

vCash
    Park Slope is my first neighbourhood recommendation - take the F or G train to 7th Avenue and 9th St. Beautiful brownstones by Prospect Park.

vCash
    Totally agree with Park Slope..dozens of tiny charming restaurants down 5th and 6th.. cute shops.. I know it well because my daughter lives there. New rink in Prospect Park, too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Just naming the neighbourhood won't mean anything to me, so cross-street info or subway stop would be helpful. Thx!
    To be a bit more specific than the people who've already replied to your post:

The neighborhood is well served by the New York City Subway. Several lines have stops in Park Slope. The IND Culver Line (F G trains) run along 9th Street, a main shopping street, stopping at Fourth Avenue, Seventh Avenue and 15th Street – Prospect Park/Prospect Park West. The IRT Eastern Parkway Line (2 3 4 5 trains) runs under Flatbush Avenue with an express stop at Atlantic Avenue – Barclays Center, and local stops at Bergen Street and Grand Army Plaza. The BMT Fourth Avenue Line (D N R trains) makes stops at Prospect Avenue, Ninth Street, Union Street and Atlantic Avenue – Barclays Center. The BMT Brighton Line (B Q trains) also passes through the neighborhood under Flatbush Avenue making stops at Atlantic Avenue – Barclays Center and Seventh Avenue. All three stations at Atlantic Avenue are connected with passageways to allow free transfers between the numerous subway services there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Sl...Transportation

vCash
    If your feeling adventurous and want to save more money, check out Williamsburg.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Thanks, will check out both.

Oh, and weather-permitting, we're hoping to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge one day (didn't get to do that on my last trip since the weather sucked so bad). If we do it from Manhattan to the Brooklyn side, what neighbourhood does that put us in?

I will of course be checking all this out on the map, but a little "been there" advice is always great.

vCash
    That would be DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights is also nearby.

Williamsburg (on the L line, Bedford and North 7th stop) is pretty much quintessential hipster Brooklyn territory - not the most picturesque IMO but interesting.
    Last edited by Lara; 02-05-2014 at 11:37 PM.

vCash
    I preferred Williamsburg, but Park Slope is really nice and a great place for a US Nationals.

vCash
    Check out the newly developed (still ongoing) Brooklyn Bridge Park along several East River piers in DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights... http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/
    The Brooklyn Heights Promenade is right above the park and provides stunning views of Lower Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty, NY Harbor and the bridges.
    DUMBO is better for window shopping, but Brooklyn Heights is full of charming brownstones and carriage houses, some dating back almost 200 years.
    From Manhattan, you can take the A or C to High St or the 2 or 3 to Clark St.
    I have an apartment overlooking Pier 5 in Brooklyn Heights, but it is about to undergo a gut reno and is not livable. Hotels in the area include a new Aloft in Downtown Brooklyn, near the Barclays Center.
    You'll love it, have a great trip!