vCash

Figure skating, from the view of those who were in the ice trenches

"Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    That was an interesting read. Thanks for the link!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    When I was graduating from high school, I could have gone to Disney on Ice, but I was like, "I’m going to college." My parents were like, “What did we get out of the investment?” And I was like, “What do you mean, ‘the investment?’"
    Guess she's not an English major.

But good for her going to school

vCash
    Very interesting. Thank you!

vCash
    Joelle was a model!?!?

vCash
    The mother terrifies me. What would she say if one day her daughter didn't want to skate anymore?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Joelle was a model!?!?
    Child model, probably for a local retailer. Sorry to be mean, but I find it hard to imagine that she would model during her teen years, as she doesn't look like a model.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    The mother terrifies me. What would she say if one day her daughter didn't want to skate anymore?
    But she wants to skate. She loves it. THAT'S WHAT SHE REALLY WANTS OK?!!

vCash
    I went to Carnegie Mellon and then I got a law degree at University of Pittsburgh and then I went to journalism school at Columbia. I became a legal reporter, but when print journalism died in the early 2000s, I started teaching more skating, and eventually I switched over entirely. My parents still to this day cannot believe that I support myself on my figure skating.
    Happy ending!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Lots of love-hate . . .

vCash
    Most of the comments reminded me of a comment made by a Russian coach about the difference between the US vs Russian system - anyone in the US can skate if they pay for it, even if they have no potential. In Russia, they only invest in the skaters who have a chance of becoming world caliber.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Kristen Weir's story was very touching. I can't imagine losing both parents by the age of 19.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Regarding the cost for competitive skating: from what I observe at our rink, when the skaters reach novice-junior level, they pay for their ice time by working at the rink. Of course there's still the cost of coaching, skates, costumes, and competition fees, but these kids seem to be well aware of the financial sacrifices their parents make and try to pitch in where they can. The sport really does teach the kids a very good work ethic.

Eating disorders are the most disturbing part of figure skating. Coaches seem more aware and concerned about it these days, however, and my coach said that PSA has sought to educate coaches on the matter in recent years. About time, too!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Something that struck me was the refrain of how intense it was and how you pretty much had to dedicate your life to skating. When I was involved in skating, I didn't really get that so much but now that I'm not skating any more, I can see it. You really do have to skate a lot of hours every week to make progress. That makes it hard to do other things. It's a sport that's hard to do as a hobby.

I remember at one point I was skating 6-8 hours a week and I was an adult with a mortgage and a job and kids. That was pretty much all my free time that wasn't dedicated to my family and my job (and eating and sleeping). When I got burned out and cut back, I stopped making progress and without progress, it stopped being fun. (So I quit.)

I feel for the kids who want to have a normal High School life and still skate. It's hard to do.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    As soon as I found out that I was pregnant with a girl, I bought her the tiniest pair of Riedell skates.
    Good luck to that child if she ever decides she doesn't want to skate.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"