Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sabre-rattler
    vCash
    I was at this passage in the first article:

Savchenko monierte zudem die unlauteren Mittel der Gastgeber: "Es war brutal schwer, die Russen waren unfair zu uns." Als einziges Team hätten die Russen eine eigene Kabine gehabt, beim Warmlaufen habe man ihr in letzter Sekunden das Betreten des Eises verweigert. "Sie wollten mich nervös machen."

Savchenko also complained about the inequality in resources provided by the host country. "It was an incredibly hard situation−the Russians were so unfair to us." According to her, the Russians were the only team with their own private dressing room. And she was barred from the ice until the very last moment for the warmup. "They wanted to make me nervous," she said.
    Like a leaf on the wind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Messalina View Post
    Savchenko also complained about the inequality in resources provided by the host country. "It was an incredibly hard situation−the Russians were so unfair to us." According to her, the Russians were the only team with their own private dressing room. And she was barred from the ice until the very last moment for the warmup. "They wanted to make me nervous," she said.
    ingo mentioned that again in the german broadcasting; usually it was common practice in the last years, that aliona is entering the ice as first one in the warm-up (hell knows, why? but seems like it have been); in sochi, somehow, she wanted to enter the ice at first again but they won't let her and let v/t on the ice first.

maybe a little mental trick, but something like that shouldn't work to bring such a top team out of concept.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Angel View Post

Hi Jeschke!
    When and were had that happened?? The last thing I´ve heard from them was the interview taken in Sochi (today), where all three of them (and Miss Treitz) were interviewed....was this the same interview?
    hi,

the interview with s/s happened in the zdf german broadcasting studio in sochi. zdf is on of the two big broadcasters of germany; only s/s were present, not steuer or treitz, or at least not in front of the camera.

the interview with steuer was during the mens free skate before the final group, as he joined the german commentators of zdf (daniel weiss and katherina witt).

vCash
    I don't know if it was intentional or not, but after seeing how Aliona accessorized her Olympic podium outfit I fully support her in her quest for 2028 Olympic gold and whichever partners she graces with her presence.

Keep up the good work Ashley!

Gutted for how their Olympic dreams turned out as a pair but as a Kwan fan you learn to block out these times and think of how many more people will remember them 20 years from now when skating looks completely different. They always went against the grain as a pair no matter what from the first moment the spotlight was on them, a true legendary one-of-a-kind pair during a decade of safe and generic programs.

vCash
    ^Aww, such nice words, Karpenko. But what do you mean about her podium outfit?

vCash
    She looks like rainbow sherbert with the red scarf and the pink pants, it compliments the Germany Olympic jackets really well.

I also like to think she was just like "screw this second bronze" and was hoping to be a badass in some way to let her presence be known. "If it weren't for ME, there would be no OGM - I like, invented her you know what I mean? You're welcome Russia, now have this rainbow."

vCash
    ^Let's be honest, that's probably EXACTLY what she was thinking.

vCash
    Haha Karpenko ! Any pics of that? I didn't watch the medal ceremony....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I know I would be!

I found a link to a medal ceremony vid here:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/med...e-skating-gold

Other completely missing the moment with the audience, and the day later aspect, I rather like these medal ceremonies.

vCash

vCash
    Thank you Jeschke, that explains a lot i got some connection problems during the life stream, must have missed that interview

Anyway: GO PETER LIEBERS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    ingo mentioned that again in the german broadcasting; usually it was common practice in the last years, that aliona is entering the ice as first one in the warm-up (hell knows, why?
    Superstition maybe?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Angel View Post
    Anyway: GO PETER LIEBERS
    best thing of liebers short was the german commentator, who started to speak, how close the medals are.

and then katherina witt interjected:'daniel (name of the moderator), don't you dare to speak of medals. this place is so great, don't dare to dream of medals.'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    best thing of liebers short was the german commentator, who started to speak, how close the medals are.

and then katherina witt interjected:'daniel (name of the moderator), don't you dare to speak of medals. this place is so great, don't dare to dream of medals.'
    Yes I´ve heard that

I even wonder if he took his music for the (maybe??) exibitions with him

vCash
    Summary after 3 decisions: right now I feel sorry for a third place in pairs and extremely cheered for an 8th place in men singles..... thats figure skating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    She looks like rainbow sherbert with the red scarf and the pink pants, it compliments the Germany Olympic jackets really well.

I also like to think she was just like "screw this second bronze" and was hoping to be a badass in some way to let her presence be known. "If it weren't for ME, there would be no OGM - I like, invented her you know what I mean? You're welcome Russia, now have this rainbow."
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    ITA! Thanks for the link to the medal ceremony, Karpenko. Well, it just wasn't in the cards for Aliona and Robin at Olympics. I think a lot of times the best do not get rewarded at an Olympics due to politics. Quite bad re the discourteousness that S/S were subjected to re warmups and accommodations. Unsurprisingly too I suppose being that the home team were dead set on ensuring Olympic gold for Russia in team and pairs events, and went to whatever lengths they could to ensure. I was hoping that Aliona and Robin would have been able to bring some of the magic they embodied at Grand Prix Final, but the effort to make S/S uncomfortable in Sochi seemingly had them a bit out of their magic zone.

Indeed, Aliona (and Ingo too) definitely played an important role in inspiring and helping to develop Tatiana Volosozhar (when she trained with them in Germany). It annoys me to watch Tatiana having consistently adopted the practice of rubbing her hands together just before a performance, a mannerism she blatantly copies from Aliona. Although, Aliona having been there, done that no longer uses that gesture for pre-performance prep. Also, the practice of throwing a huge triple throw jump at the tail end of a program was first boldly executed under CoP by Aliona and Robin. However, tv commentators acted as if it was some creation of Stolbova/Klimov when they did it in their Olympic sp. In fact, at first I didn't even recognize Stolbova/Klimov. They have totally changed their style ... a mix now of S/S edgy innovative moves with some of the energy, choreographic verve and style of the Canadians. It definitely ain't Russian aesthetic S/K pulled out of the hat to win silver medal!

Shame on NBC for not honoring the German pair and their coach Ingo, with at least a brief tribute to all that they have contributed to pairs figure skating since 2006. In fact, S/S innovative style has been adopted by many pairs -- Pang/Tong won a silver medal at last Olympics by adopting a few of the moves and flair of S/S, IMHO.

The fact Russia is also pushing for bronze in ice dance with B/S is really bad politics. B/S have improved under Zhulin, but they are still quite sloppy at times compared with other teams. No way B/S should have been above the French in the team short dance.

I salute and congratulate Aliona, Robin, and Ingo! The Three Musketeers -- the impact they have had on pairs figure skating will never be forgotten. When fs historians look back on this time, they will be amazed that Savchenko/ Szolkowy never won Olympic gold, in the same way they will be surprised that Michelle Kwan never won OGM. But no matter, Aliona, Robin, and MKwan all transcend that Olympic gold with their unique inimitable talent, their class, and their courage!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-14-2014 at 08:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ITA! Thanks for the link to the medal ceremony, Karpenko. Well, it just wasn't in the cards for Aliona and Robin at Olympics. I think a lot of times the best do not get rewarded at an Olympics due to politics. Quite bad re the discourteousness that S/S were subjected to re warmups and accommodations. Unsurprisingly too I suppose being that the home team were dead set on ensuring Olympic gold for Russia in team and pairs events, and went to whatever lengths they could to ensure. I was hoping that Aliona and Robin would have been able to bring some of the magic they embodied at Grand Prix Final, but the effort to make S/S uncomfortable in Sochi seemingly had them a bit out of their magic zone.

Indeed, Aliona (and Ingo too) definitely played an important role in inspiring and helping to develop Tatiana Volosozhar (when she trained with them in Germany). It annoys me to watch Tatiana having consistently adopted the practice of rubbing her hands together just before a performance, a mannerism she blatantly copies from Aliona. Although, Aliona having been there, done that no longer uses that gesture for pre-performance prep. Also, the practice of throwing a huge triple throw jump at the tail end of a program was first boldly executed under CoP by Aliona and Robin. However, tv commentators acted as if it was some creation of Stolbova/Klimov when they did it in their Olympic sp. In fact, at first I didn't even recognize Stolbova/Klimov. They have totally changed their style ... a mix now of S/S edgy innovative moves with some of the energy, choreographic verve and style of the Canadians. It definitely ain't Russian aesthetic S/K pulled out of the hat to win silver medal!

Shame on NBC for not honoring the German pair and their coach Ingo, with at least a brief tribute to all that they have contributed to pairs figure skating since 2006. In fact, S/S innovative style has been adopted by many pairs -- Pang/Tong won a silver medal at last Olympics by adopting a few of the moves and flair of S/S, IMHO.

The fact Russia is also pushing for bronze in ice dance with B/S is really bad politics. B/S have improved under Zhulin, but they are still quite sloppy at times compared with other teams. No way B/S should have been above the French in the team short dance.

I salute and congratulate Aliona, Robin, and Ingo! The Three Musketeers -- the impact they have had on pairs figure skating will never be forgotten. When fs historians look back on this time, they will be amazed that Savchenko/ Szolkowy never won Olympic gold, in the same way they will be surprised that Michelle Kwan never won OGM. But no matter, Aliona, Robin, and MKwan all transcend that Olympic gold with their unique inimitable talent, their class, and their courage!

Tatiana was considered great before she even went to Ingo. There's an old interview when her and Stan were still with Galina Kukhar. They were talking about how people are trying to steal Tatiana like they took Aliona. Stating that she and Aliona were the best female pairs skaters in the world. Galina coached Aliona too and probably has way more to do with both Tatiana and Aliona's similarities, than Aliona herself does.

And Galina was coached by Nina Mozer's mother and then for awhile by the Soviet great Zhuk....Both girls probably owe a lot to Kukhar and the tradition she comes from.
    Last edited by bek; 02-15-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Sabre-rattler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    Ah, exactement! And hence our love for her.

I get her annoyance at being kept off the ice till last, but it sort of sounds like she feels entitled to go on first because she is ALIONA. And, mostly, people wouldn't dare cross her. But a sekret source in Russia (surely under direct orders from Putin) knew about her preference or superstition or whatever it was and braved her wrath and barred her way.

I have to add how excited I was to see a German man end up in 8th. Shocked even! In a good way. If only Germany could work its way back up to a singles situation such as we had in the 90s with Tanja Szewczenko (or even a Marina Kielmann-level skater). Sigh. I miss Tanja still. But I hope Peter Liebers' star continues to rise.
    Like a leaf on the wind

vCash
    ^It'd be fantastic! Twenty years ago this year, German women finished 3rd and 4th in the World (Szewczenko and Kielmann respectively) It'd be wonderful to get back to that level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

How can you seriously say that? Firstly, Tatiana and Aliona skated at the same rink in Ukraine a long time before they ended at the same rink in the Germany. One could argue that not only Aliona played an important role in inspiring and helping to develop Tatiana, but it could also have been the other way round - Tatiana inspiring Aliona. Secondly, in regards to rubbing her hands together just before a performance, how can you know for sure that Tatiana copied this from Aliona? It could have been Aliona copying it from Tatiana all those years ago...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast