Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Peter Liebers is HOT and I can't believe I hadn't noticed him before.. Denise is a lucky girl. ;-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    How can you seriously say that? Firstly, Tatiana and Aliona skated at the same rink in Ukraine a long time before they ended at the same rink in the Germany. One could argue that not only Aliona played an important role in inspiring and helping to develop Tatiana, but it could also have been the other way round - Tatiana inspiring Aliona. Secondly, in regards to rubbing her hands together just before a performance, how can you know for sure that Tatiana copied this from Aliona? It could have been Aliona copying it from Tatiana all those years ago...
    Aliona is older and succeeded before Tatiana did, so I imagine that Tatiana would have looked up to her in some ways. But who knows who inspired whom and in what ways? They've both been great, and rubbing one's hands isn't something that can or should be trademarked.

The program-ending throw is something of an S/S feature, and I do think that they've been instrumental in popularizing it, so I hope people give them credit for that.

Sabre-rattler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    ^It'd be fantastic! Twenty years ago this year, German women finished 3rd and 4th in the World (Szewczenko and Kielmann respectively) It'd be wonderful to get back to that level.
    I still have my VHS tape of Tanja winning the bronze at Worlds! But it's been years since I had a PAL player to watch it on ...
    Like a leaf on the wind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Messalina View Post
    I have to add how excited I was to see a German man end up in 8th. Shocked even! In a good way. If only Germany could work its way back up to a singles situation such as we had in the 90s with Tanja Szewczenko (or even a Marina Kielmann-level skater). Sigh. I miss Tanja still. But I hope Peter Liebers' star continues to rise.
    Good old times.....but most definetely over, I fear. I don´t know what it is, but with some great women retiring (Carolina...), I do think we´re heading towards russian national Championships at the next Euro´s. Not that this is bad, but especially in the womens competitions I´m going to miss the variety of nations. It´s pretty obvious, that a lot of countries (not only Germany) have a lack of assertive women figure skaters. Thats sad We´ll see how it works out next year..
    Last edited by Irish-Angel; 02-16-2014 at 12:40 PM.

vCash
    Good news: S/S will go to the Worlds in Japan

http://www.weser-kurier.de/sport/oly...id,785012.html

vCash
    Tanja Szewczenko will take part in "Let´s dance".

http://www.rtl.de/cms/sendungen/lets...6-1802226.html

It´s the German version of "Dancing with the stars". I´m really looking forward to see her again :-)

vCash
    Tanja Szewczenko will take part in "Let´s dance".

http://www.rtl.de/cms/sendungen/lets...6-1802226.html

It´s the German version of "Dancing with the stars". I´m really looking forward to see her again :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Angel View Post

vCash

That's great! And Aljona somehow confirms she wants to continue - I'm really curious whether she finds anyone her level...

vCash
    Most likely, she won´t skate for Germany anymore
    After all, Ingo said it will be "a nightmare" for german figure Skaters to train with him, cause they have to pay the trainer. They won´t be supported from the german Country, because of Ingo´s Stasi-past. That still makes me mad, it´s not like Germany has a luxury problem with either skaters or coaches

But at least, about Ingo Steuers future there might be some hope in german figure skating:
    http://www.mdr.de/sport/andere_sport...raphie100.html

" (...)neue Präsident des Deutschen Olympischen Sportbundes (DOSB), Alfons Hörmann. "Man mag zu Ingo Steuer stehen, wie man will: Er hat unzweifelhaft in der Vergangenheit bewiesen, dass er zu den Besten gehört und enorm wichtig für uns ist. Damit ist es ein Thema, dem wir uns mit dem Fachverband gemeinsam widmen müssen. Es wäre aus meiner Sicht schade, wenn ein solcher Mann nicht mehr für ein deutsches Paar Verantwortung trägen würde", sagte Hörmann der Nachrichtenagentur dpa."

(very free and rookie like) translation: The new president of the DOSB, Alfons Hörmann: "One might think about Ingo Steuer, as he wishes: but he undoubtely has proved that he is one of the best, und that he is going to be immensly important for us. This should be a subject, which we have to talk about (...). In my oppinion, it would be unfortunate, to loose the liability of such a man in pairs skating," Hörmann said to the newswire dpa.
    Last edited by Irish-Angel; 02-22-2014 at 11:34 PM.

vCash

That's the best news. It's so hard to let them go.

Sabre-rattler
    vCash
    Without Ingo, Germany would not have most (all?) of its medals of the last decade or so. The German skating federation needs to figure something out to keep him coaching German skaters. Why can't some sort of private financing be arranged? It's not like there aren't enough potential backers in the German economic landscape. Or is Ingo still so infamous that no German company would want to associate itself with him? If that's true, then we might not see many German skaters or teams shining on the world stage in the near future or medium term. And that would be sad.
    Like a leaf on the wind

vCash
    Without Ingo, Germany would not have most (all?) of its medals of the last decade or so. The German skating federation needs to figure something out to keep him coaching German skaters. Why can't some sort of private financing be arranged? It's not like there aren't enough potential backers in the German economic landscape. Or is Ingo still so infamous that no German company would want to associate itself with him? If that's true, then we might not see many German skaters or teams shining on the world stage in the near future or medium term. And that would be sad.
    That wouldn't be sad. As long as he still continues to pass on his skills, I don't care who he coaches. If the German skating Federation is stupid enough to treat him that way, he may decide to coach other nationalities. So instead of very successful Germans we may be seeing very successful Polish or Czech skaters (just naming countries close to Germany). It wouldn't be any loss for the 'skating world' because we would still see some decent skating as a result of his work. The only country that would loose would be Germany. Do you think it is sad that most of the top dancers (US, Canadians and French) are coached by Russian coaches? No one calls that sad, so why it should be sad that Ingo will give his skills to someone who can actually appreciate him?

vCash
    Well as I said there is some hope about Ingo Steuers future in Germany. At least the new president of the DOSB ( German Olympic Commitee) sounds like he wants to take the issue up on the Agenda once more. The Problem isn´t about the German Skating Federation (DEU), they would like to pay Ingo as a coach, because they know how important he is. The problem is, that the DEU obtains the incentives from the federal ministry, so the issue is far more politics against sports. Personally I doubt, that Ingo Steuer is infamous, quite the opposite
    S/S were sponsored by various companies and private sponsors, thats pretty much how the could pay their coach and why they´re got along, but how much easier would it be to get their coach paid from incentives like everyone else?
    Last edited by Irish-Angel; 02-26-2014 at 05:04 PM.

vCash
    I am not sure, to be honest, how great a coach Steuer really is. Did he ever have any success with anyone beside S/S? Most pairs fled after a few months with him.

Fitze/Rex were with him for a long time but...well...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I am not sure, to be honest, how great a coach Steuer really is. Did he ever have any success with anyone beside S/S? Most pairs fled after a few months with him.
    I think the reason that most pairs fled from his is that he was paying all attention to S/S and they felt that they are not important for him. Volosozhar trained under him and if S/S retired in 2010, there was rumours that they wanted to go to him (but didn't go because S/S didn't retire and V/T didn't want to train with their bigger competitors). So if he was so bad, I am sure V/T wouldn't even consider him. Savchenko must have know how good or not good he is because at that time she was being taught by him

I think Steuer must be good. Savchenko was successful even before being paired with Szolkowy; she won junior worlds, but as far as I know, Szolkowy was nobody. So Steuer managed to pair a decent female pair skater with a male skater who had no notable pair success before and bring them to their current level - yes I do think he must be a pretty good coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post

Fitze/Rex were with him for a long time but...well...
    I think he is a very good coach, but very demanding. Not all athletes are willing to train as hard as he expects them to.

What do you mean by "most pairs fled after a few months with him"? Who would that be?
    Volosozhar/Morozov were with him for two years and improved significantly under him. Morand/Dorsaz also trained with him for a longer time and he brought them up to a good level and got them to the Olympic Games. Antoine Dorsaz then retired, because he was not willing to input so much effort into his career anymore. Anais Morand stayed with Ingo Steuer for a while, but was unable to find a new partner. Ingo actually praised her as a talented, hard working girl. Too bad that she never found a partner and did not succeed in singles.
    There were also Kirkland/Radford with Steuer for a while, but they split up and the girl was not very consistent. He worked with Daria Popova/Bruno Massot, but there was a dispute with the French Skating Federation about payments, so that ended prematurely.

Overall, Ingo Steuer did not have so many students, especially no German students, but this is due to the fact that he cannot receive funding by the German government. His students need to pay him themselves, and they are not able to do that for the most part.

vCash
    I meant all the pairs you listed. But it seems like they all had good reasons to go. It just seemed to me (from a complete unknowledgable outsider position) like all pairs that went to him, quit quickly (which was apparently not the case) and he had no long-term success whatsoever with anyone besides S/S.

I am sure that he is very demanding. And I am sure that Aljona is a handful as a partner as well. One has to be very driven to want to partner her. But that is the only kind of skater to win an Olympic medal. Do you have any info about who might partner her, Eislauffan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I think he is a very good coach, but very demanding. Not all athletes are willing to train as hard as he expects them to.

What do you mean by "most pairs fled after a few months with him"? Who would that be?
    Volosozhar/Morozov were with him for two years and improved significantly under him. Morand/Dorsaz also trained with him for a longer time and he brought them up to a good level and got them to the Olympic Games. Antoine Dorsaz then retired, because he was not willing to input so much effort into his career anymore. Anais Morand stayed with Ingo Steuer for a while, but was unable to find a new partner. Ingo actually praised her as a talented, hard working girl. Too bad that she never found a partner and did not succeed in singles.
    There were also Kirkland/Radford with Steuer for a while, but they split up and the girl was not very consistent. He worked with Daria Popova/Bruno Massot, but there was a dispute with the French Skating Federation about payments, so that ended prematurely.

Overall, Ingo Steuer did not have so many students, especially no German students, but this is due to the fact that he cannot receive funding by the German government. His students need to pay him themselves, and they are not able to do that for the most part.
    I can only agree with you. I think he is a good coach. Ingo can be very demanding, but on the other hand gives back soo much. A lot of people might forget, that all of S/S innovating and great programs were choreographed by him, he didn´t just coach the pair, he made them what they are now. Just think about how great it would be for a young pair, which is willing to work hard and which wants to win medals, to have that focus and knowledge on their side. He might not be a coach for everyone though.

vCash
    By the way: a question for the insiders of the german figure skating: does anyone know, how Wende/ Wende (with Fajfr as coach) are funded?? I´m just curious, because Daniel (and Mailyn) is in the german army, right? How can it be that S/S (or just Robin) aren´t anymore??

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast