Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Years ago, Dana Carvey and Phil Hartman did a hilarious Scott Hamilton and Verne Lundquist back when the Os were on CBS. Jason Priestly was the host (which shows you how long ago this was if Jason Priestly was a big enough celeb to host SNL) and played a male skater named "Brian" who pretty much splatted through his whole program. I'm pretty sure it happened right after Hubert's infamous '92 long program or right before, in which case it was pretty prescient on their part.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I thought the Pairs team was funny ...
    I did too. Also, having sat through so many local competition with tiny 4 year old skaters who could barely move across the ice, I found the routines amusing. And the Tara impression was pretty good. The guy playing Scott missed so many opportunities though. Scott is so easy to impersonate and he was kind of bland.

My favorite part was when Tara asked Scott if he thought a performance was good and he said "No. But it's not up to me, it's up to the judges."
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Blergh
    vCash
    What do you guys think of this one?

http://screen.yahoo.com/robin-byrd-show-000000419.html

There was also a SNL skit of Molly Shannon playing Michelle Kwan and becoming very annoyed that Rudy Galindo (and another commentator) kept referring to her as Japanese.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    What do you guys think of this one?

http://screen.yahoo.com/robin-byrd-show-000000419.html

There was also a SNL skit of Molly Shannon playing Michelle Kwan and becoming very annoyed that Rudy Galindo (and another commentator) kept referring to her as Japanese.
    I haven't seen this one! LOL. Chris Kattan's Kerri Strugg. IIRC, Sarah Michelle Gellar was actually a competitive skater as a kid.

It's been YEARS since I've seen it but I remember Will Ferrell (or whoever the commentator was) kept asking Molly Shannon/MK what it was like to be "back competing in your homeland"

vCash
    I thought it had highs and lows. Loved the first guy playing the brute guy-guy, and the pair really cracked me up -- it would actually be a great idea for a funny exhibition number, what with pair guys needing to get pretty intimate with their partners. And the impressions of Scott and Tara were spot on.

And any attention to skating at this point is a good thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    I'm sure lots of fans here will be upset. But what did you think of the SNL opener on figure skating and sexual orientation? The good news is that no one can claim any longer that sexual orientation in figure skating is a "private" issue. It's obviously out there in the public culture! Discuss!
    Really? Maybe it's different in Canada, but its been out there in the public culture here for many years. The vast majority of non-fans/non-educated of figure skating think that male skaters - singles, pairs or dance - are automatically gay. It's one of the reasons why it is so difficult to attract boys to the sport, or keep them if they dare give it a try. Hockey is manly. If you figure skate, you must be gay. Therefore, since we still live in a fairly conservative and homophobic world, both gay and straight boys and men in the sport often end up experiencing being politely tolerated to being teased and even physically beaten up. It's worse in small towns than in the bigger cities generally. In the bigger cities, in the larger more elite clubs, it is more common to see a a bunch of boys (still a small percentage) who figure skate. In the smaller towns it's not uncommon to have no boys at all, or just 1 or 2, that figure skate.

I dream of a world when it doesn't matter if one is gay or straight, but only how one skates. Where one is respected for the athlete he is, gay or straight. And where it is acceptable and respected to be a figure skater, gay or straight. We aren't nearly there yet, unfortunately.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Now I really want to see that Molly Shannon/MK one. I've been searching and haven't found it yet. If anyone finds it, post it please!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Really?
    No.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    What always amazes me is that no one ever sez, or thinks, "oh, she's a *figure skater*-SHE must be gay!"
    I mean, why not? Wouldn't it be logical to assume that figure skating would be equally attractive to gay women?
    And what about the fans attracted to this gay sport? OMG they're all gay too!!! Eeek!

Can't we just enjoy the skating without speculating on sexual orientation :-P
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    I'm sure lots of fans here will be upset. But what did you think of the SNL opener on figure skating and sexual orientation? The good news is that no one can claim any longer that sexual orientation in figure skating is a "private" issue. It's obviously out there in the public culture! Discuss!
    Can you ask on this and other forums if a skater is gay or straight?

vCash
    I certainly didn't find this offensive in the least. Don't know what all the hoopla is about... I don't get all of this PC business anyway.

I wouldn't say SNL is as funny as it once was at all - I always found MadTV much funnier anyway. I could watch old Ms. Swan and Lorraine clips till "the cows come home".

vCash
    I didn't really find it offensive, either. It was making fun of straight people, and let's face it, those of us who are straight are not exactly an oppressed minority, you know? But I do think they missed some things (Scott's grunting) that could've added a bit more humor to their script.

vCash
    Now that I have finally seen it I think it was hilarious.

The politics were really not necessary and SNL basically nailed the way about 90 + % of Americans view figure skating.
    The skit works just as well without any references to sexual preferences and basically the point they are making is that skating has some very nerdy qualities.

Take out skating's last hope - that it is a sport and results on the ice matter - and voila, there you have it. They could just as easily caricatured a Beauty pageant or Dog show in a very similar manner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Take out skating's last hope - that it is a sport and results on the ice matter - and voila, there you have it. They could just as easily caricatured a Beauty pageant or Dog show in a very similar manner.
    Gee, I wonder what you're referring to? Results on the ice do matter, plural. Now back on topic...

I personally didn't find the skit laugh out loud funny. Agreed that they definitely missed out on an opportunity to caricature Scott.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Gee, I wonder what you're referring to? Results on the ice do matter, plural. Now back on topic...

I personally didn't find the skit laugh out loud funny. Agreed that they definitely missed out on an opportunity to caricature Scott.
    The "costumes" or lack of made me LOL. What's a matter - no sense of humor?

Sorry but for decades results on the ice at Natls did matter.

That is no longer true. But who cares when we have dresses and lipstick and SNL skits to talk about.
    Last edited by MrLucky; 01-27-2014 at 08:16 PM.

vCash
    So, is there a link to this sketch online? Or can someone summarize what it actually consisted of?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Sorry but for decades results on the ice at Natls did matter.

That is no longer true. But who cares when we have dresses and lipstick and SNL skits to talk about.
    More like, for decades it seemed that ONLY results at Nationals mattered (with a handful of exceptions for injured recent world medalists).

Now other things matter as well as Nationals results -- none of them individually as much as Nationals results, but in aggregate sometimes enough to outweigh them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    So, is there a link to this sketch online? Or can someone summarize what it actually consisted of?

More like, for decades it seemed that ONLY results at Nationals mattered (with a handful of exceptions for injured recent world medalists).

Now other things matter as well as Nationals results -- none of them individually as much as Nationals results, but in aggregate sometimes enough to outweigh them.
    Is aggregate code for Sponsors?
    If so, I agree.

Let's use some perspective here. One skater did not just barely lose, or hit a rut - she basically in her own words turned in an "embarrassing" performance and was a distant 4th.

Faster, Higher, Sponsors" does not interest me when it comes to sport.
    Apparently you feel differently. Just like you preach that a fall is very important and should count for a lot of points.

I respect you but disagree with almost everything you write.

vCash
    There were 10 Olympic spots available for US skaters this year.

How many of them were assigned in ways that did not follow the results of Nationals?

vCash
    Hopefully this link will work: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...88381481237582

vCash
    There were 10 Olympic spots available for US skaters this year.

How many of them were assigned in ways that did not follow the results of Nationals?
    I believe the Men, Pairs and Dance followed the results of Natls for the Olympic teams. But the Men and Pairs made adjustments for Worlds leaving only the discipline with the heaviest $ponsorship in a controversial position with the majority of Americans. (Read the polls...everyone I have seen disapproves of the selection committee's decision by over a 50% margin).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast