Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 256
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,920
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Well, I don't think there's really any conspiracy here to package people according to 1950's norms. I think the more basic issue is you have very young athletes who live extremely sheltered lives and thus, don't have a whole lot of deep things to say in an interview. I just watched Jason Brown on Arsenio, and while he was enthusiastic, he was also pretty one-note. He's very excited and can't believe he's going to Sochi, but that's about it. The funny things he shared were extremely ho-hum. But that's his life right now.

    I don't know why people think the USFSA is suppressing skaters' personalities in media-training when the more obvious explanation is the people being interviewed don't have much more depth to offer than they do because of their youth and lack of life experience. Teens who've spent all their free time in structured training aren't exactly likely to wax poetic about major issues or controversies, much less even be aware such controversies exist. And that will be evident in interviews.

    Those who have more of a life outside the rink are more likely to give colorful interviews, but also tend to be less likely to do well in competition. So they are less sought after come media time--as a result, those selected for interviews tend to be the most sheltered of the lot.

    If people want more meaty interviews, look to the coaches, choreographers, former judges, and dedicated journalists. They have some life experience to draw from, and even in the US they tend to give more informative analysis than anyone else.
    I think the Russians though tend to give better interviews. One thing I hate is the political correctness. Like Michelle saying its not about winning the Olympics its the "journey." They aren't allowed to be real athletes and say what they mean.
    Last edited by bek; 01-25-2014 at 02:29 PM.

  2. #82
    ridin my horse named Bob
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    in my imagination
    Posts
    8,121
    vCash
    31
    Rep Power
    8969
    I watched a snippet of "the andy griffith show" last night and was shocked, shocked I tell you!, when andy -in uniform no less-fished a cigarette out of his pocket and lit up and INHALED! in front of ain't bea and (gasp!!!) little opie!! The horror!!! Scandal!!!

    So much for the sainted sanitized memories of the 50s and 60s :-P
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Well, I don't think there's really any conspiracy here to package people according to 1950's norms. I think the more basic issue is you have very young athletes who live extremely sheltered lives and thus, don't have a whole lot of deep things to say in an interview. I just watched Jason Brown on Arsenio, and while he was enthusiastic, he was also pretty one-note. He's very excited and can't believe he's going to Sochi, but that's about it. The funny things he shared were extremely ho-hum. But that's his life right now.

    I don't know why people think the USFSA is suppressing skaters' personalities in media-training when the more obvious explanation is the people being interviewed don't have much more depth to offer than they do because of their youth and lack of life experience. Teens who've spent all their free time in structured training aren't exactly likely to wax poetic about major issues or controversies, much less even be aware such controversies exist. And that will be evident in interviews.

    Those who have more of a life outside the rink are more likely to give colorful interviews, but also tend to be less likely to do well in competition. So they are less sought after come media time--as a result, those selected for interviews tend to be the most sheltered of the lot.

    If people want more meaty interviews, look to the coaches, choreographers, former judges, and dedicated journalists. They have some life experience to draw from, and even in the US they tend to give more informative analysis than anyone else.
    I agree with what you wrote here. I agree there is no conspiracy to intentionally package skaters according to norms from the past. I would call it more of a brainfreeze.

    Look at little Julia Lip this season in her red coat. Has she ever skated that program without a big standing ovation? I call that extremely effective, even great packaging.

    Most of the Lady's programs this season - for whatever reasons - don't seem very memorable to me. I don't think the general public and casual fan is seeing much to get them more involved let alone emotionally invested. Maybe the Olympics will change that but we know what typically follows in the three seasons after each Olympics.

    Good interviews can raise interest but ultimately it is more about the product.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    377
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I think the Russians though tend to give better interviews. One thing I hate is the political correctness. Like Michelle saying its not about winning the Olympics its the "journey." They aren't allowed to be real athletes and say what they mean.
    I agree. I would just love one skater to say "F this 'journey' business...I want to WIN! I want to kick butt!" I have some hope for Ashley because she seems pretty down to earth and has been outspoken (for a skater) about the law in Russia. But I agree that the USFS missed a huge opportunity with Johnny. They could have exploited (excuse the word) his personality and made him a centerpiece of their marketing. Young people (really, anyone under 40) grew up in the age of cynicism and irony and are more apt to ridicule the princess thing. Even Disney has figured that out and begun to give their heroines some spark and a dry sense of humor. I have no idea what Evan's or Kristi's or Michelle's real personality is. All of them seemed to be parroting what they were told to do--just say you work hard and will try your best. And while I love Jason, I was bored watching is Arsenio interview. It's partly because Arsenio is a not a very good interviewer, but it's also because like unlike a Johnny Weir or a Charles Barkley, Jason doesn't have the personality and spontaneity to hold most people's interest--though he seems genuinely sweet, and this IS all new for him. How many times can you say, "This is so surreal" and "I can't believe it" and "I love my coach" when you know all the other Olympians who come on the show will be exactly the same? Show up in USA gear and recite the lines. Personality is important. I can see an SNL sketch where a robot wearing a USA jacket goes on the Tonight Show and has 3-4 lines that they just repeat on a loop.

  5. #85
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,824
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    21144
    i believe tonya said she wanted to kick nancy's butt.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  6. #86

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It just doesn't get more beautiful than this:

    http://www.luckymag.com/beauty/2014/...beauty-routine

    Gracie was born to launch a million magazine and book covers (and web home pages). THE most marketeable beauty on skates since Dorothy Hamill and, before that, Peggy Fleming. Before that, Sonja Henie.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,022
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    I watched a snippet of "the andy griffith show" last night and was shocked, shocked I tell you!, when andy -in uniform no less-fished a cigarette out of his pocket and lit up and INHALED!
    Even better are the interactions between Barney and Andy. You totally know they want to hook up, but Mayberry mores precluded man-on-man action.

  8. #88
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Partying with the Skate Gods
    Posts
    39,958
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    17004
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    I agree. I would just love one skater to say "F this 'journey' business...I want to WIN! I want to kick butt!" .
    PML no people don't. Every time a skater says something similar, there are clutching of pearls and multiple posts about how arrogant they are. cue Chan and Plushenko for classic examples.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,022
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i believe tonya said she wanted to kick nancy's butt.
    Was this before or after her trip to Walgreen's to pick up her weekly bundles of Sudafed and lye?

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    not retiring yet
    Posts
    9,816
    vCash
    13051
    Rep Power
    15905
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    PML no people don't. Every time a skater says something similar, there are clutching of pearls and multiple posts about how arrogant they are. cue Chan and Plushenko for classic examples.
    and then people post how they need media training..

  11. #91

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,794
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1781
    Michelle should have said this after all of her US National Wins

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYuwWCqmeU

  12. #92

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,594
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1912
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    I agree. I would just love one skater to say "F this 'journey' business...I want to WIN! I want to kick butt!" I have some hope for Ashley because she seems pretty down to earth and has been outspoken (for a skater) about the law in Russia.
    Some hope for what? Ashley has been around since 2007, and for all her personality off the ice(same for Mirai), we are still getting articles about how figure skating has never been so unpopular. Why? Because you can give the best sound bites and it doesn't matter because you can't hold the audience's attention in what it is you are selling…you and your sport.

    Women's skating in the US isn't unpopular because they are giving PC answers, it's because there hasn't been a contender for the top in over 6 years. Sorry but a top 5 finish isn't holding anyone's attention when you are following in the tradition of Yamaguchi, Kwan, Cohen, Hughes etc.

    "F this I want to win" only works when you are an actual contender and you follow up your words with actual wins and performance. How many times can the skating audience sit through Carmen, Don Quixote and Swan Lake with the same zzz tried and true choreography? It's boring.

    I could care less about having Johnny Weir-like caricatures off the ice. I want more of Jason Brown, who showed that performance art is still alive and well on the ice and it can capture the attention of mainstream audiences without having to whack someone's knee off. JMO

  13. #93
    AYS's snark-sponge
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    in the Bobrova & Soloviev Fan Clubhouse
    Posts
    41,549
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15750
    Indeed, Mayra. Its rather backwards to think that if skaters just were "interesting" off ice, suddenly people would be interested in them on ice. Sure you can sneak in the backdoor sometimes with a really colorful individual who attracts attention independently to him or herself, but that doesn't really do anything for the sport.

    This discussion makes me What is it that people think skaters should be saying that would make people suddenly want to watch skating? How should they be portrayed? Bad boys and bad girls? I'm old so I can't imagine what it is that would suddenly bring in floods of young fans who right now aren't motivated to watch people on ice jumping and spinning.

    Take away the sparkles, the "ice princesses," the old tunes and old styles and you have what? You re-dress it up in some imagined current style (that goes out of date as soon as you young people realize you aren't young for long) and have some skaters saying "Fcuk" and presto?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    I could care less about having Johnny Weir-like caricatures off the ice. I want more of Jason Brown, who showed that performance art is still alive and well on the ice and it can capture the attention of mainstream audiences without having to whack someone's knee off. JMO
    I think you are onto something here

    But the idea that (No.)American fans can only get interested in an OGM/WC winner feels false.

    Janet Lynn and Toller Cranston are two skaters who come to mind. Their degree of popularity transcended their competitive records.

    Granted they were far above anything Ashley or Mirai have achieved on the Intl stage but of course it was a different era.

    Still, I think Jason has the potential to bring some attention back to skating and it will be because of the way he skates and performs and not because he gives a good interview.

    I don't think US Skating/NBC and the sponsors have done nearly enough for D/W.
    Those who remember Sarajevo know that talk of the Games was neither Scott or Katerina but Torville/Dean.

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,861
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sarakimm View Post
    All of you FSUers who hated Johnny Weir's personality cannot deny that there were zillions of his fans who showed up at every competition he was in. But USFS hated him and his personality, favoring the biggest robot of them all over him. As long as the USFS continues to blacklist anyone outspoken, therefore discouraging skaters from being spontaneous and candid, nothing will change.
    I think the basic matter what USFS appreciates are results. It did not matter how popular Weir was among fans, as his results were not even close to those of e.g. Lysacek.

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    588
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There is no rivalry in US ladies skating, and no current or past lady since Sasha (and Kimmie for a minute) has been good enough to rival an international skater like Yuna. Sport is about rivalry.

    I couldn't care less what their real personalities are, but I can tell you what Michelle Kwan's was without her saying a word: Tough. Intelligent. Driven. Winner. I didn't need her to go off in an interview about how she just wanted to win, because it was a given, IMO.

    Agree with Mayra that it's hard to get into a sport where fifth place is considered a victory. We need medal contenders, not almost girls. Get some contenders, get a rivalry and interest will pique.

  17. #97

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,270
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42715
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    I think you are onto something here

    But the idea that (No.)American fans can only get interested in an OGM/WC winner feels false.

    Janet Lynn and Toller Cranston are two skaters who come to mind. Their degree of popularity transcended their competitive records.

    Granted they were far above anything Ashley or Mirai have achieved on the Intl stage but of course it was a different era.

    Still, I think Jason has the potential to bring some attention back to skating and it will be because of the way he skates and performs and not because he gives a good interview.

    I don't think US Skating/NBC and the sponsors have done nearly enough for D/W.
    Those who remember Sarajevo know that talk of the Games was neither Scott or Katerina but Torville/Dean.
    I think Jason Brown could actually become like the two legends you mentioned (Lynn & Cranston) without a big championship. He could bring a new fanbase into FS, if he keeps this up. The Olympics are the best place to do this, and I am so glad he is on the US Olympic team!

    I also agree that the US media (NBC in particular) have not done enough for D&W after their 2 world titles and Olympic silver in 2010. They deserve so much more! During the GP series they would just show one D&W performance, while showing the mens and womens competitions (last flight of course). Why not show who they are competing against, and how they stack up? Why not come up with commercials involving the most recent world champions the USA has?

    D&W are the USA's best hope for an OGM in Sochi, and yet all we hear about is Gold and Wagner, as if looks trump championships.

    ETA: Sorry I digressed into something else. This thread is about the ladies.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,721
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Indeed, Mayra. Its rather backwards to think that if skaters just were "interesting" off ice, suddenly people would be interested in them on ice. Sure you can sneak in the backdoor sometimes with a really colorful individual who attracts attention independently to him or herself, but that doesn't really do anything for the sport.

    This discussion makes me What is it that people think skaters should be saying that would make people suddenly want to watch skating? How should they be portrayed? Bad boys and bad girls? I'm old so I can't imagine what it is that would suddenly bring in floods of young fans who right now aren't motivated to watch people on ice jumping and spinning.

    Take away the sparkles, the "ice princesses," the old tunes and old styles and you have what? You re-dress it up in some imagined current style (that goes out of date as soon as you young people realize you aren't young for long) and have some skaters saying "Fcuk" and presto?
    Exactly. But considering that I saw a discussion on CNN this morning about why an arrest may be good for Justin Bieber's image with teenagers, this is apparently the world we are living in. Perhaps Ashley and Gracie need to rent a couple of fancy cars and have a drag race in Sochi.

    On the other topic of conversation, Gracie is a pretty girl, but in a rather generic way. Open up Vogue and you will see that the generic blond is not much in demand in the fashion world or otherwise any more. I don't see the media or general public getting all that excited about her. And I also don't see anyone who has never medalled at Worlds winning in Sochi. Tara was the reigning world champ. Sarah had a bronze from Worlds and had beaten both Michelle and Irina that fall.

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,439
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4854
    To leesaleesa's point, I don't need flamboyant interviews if the athlete has grit (determination to win) on the ice in the highest levels of competition. It remains to be seen if any of the three US lady Olympians has it.
    Figure skating is hard.

  20. #100

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,408
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1618
    NBC should be marketing its ass off on Meryl & Charlie and Jason. They missed the boat so badly with Johnny and Evan in 2010.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •