Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    But aren't their clothes and shoes provided by Survivor? In this ep we even saw someone dump a bag of shoes. Otherwise what do they have - prescription glasses maybe? Later on they might have their letter from home? I can't imagine those things don't get back to them, whereas the clothes were just for the show anyway.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I always thought the clothes were their own, but maybe that was just the early seasons. I remember Kelly Higglesworth (S1) saying she wanted to burn the outfit she wore most days. And in China, weren't the players told they were going to the temple, so they dressed nice, only to find out the game was beginning, so they were stuck for at least a day or two with clothes inappropriate for outdoor living?

Clearly, if the clothes are theirs, they should know they are not likely to be any good for normal wear afterwards (at this point, they would probably sell them on eBay after $$$$).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I thought the clothes were theirs too, but if they tried to bring "good survivor clothes" and not "fit the character we assigned you clothes" (like a blazer, for instance) then production would give them clothes to wear.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Note that each tribe's wardrobe is now colour coordinated (for years now), the clothes must be provided. They also provide nice new sneakers for the challenges, and I think I've also seen footwear for underwater stuff in some cases. Maybe the odd piece like dude's suit jacket are their own, but I think the majority must be provided.

vCash
    I'm sure it's their own clothes and they are encouraged to dress in their team color. If the show provided it all it would be weird that some people got pants, some got shorts, some got tank tops, etc.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    In the beginning, they brought a lot of clothes to LA and the producers chose things out of their wardrobes for them to wear, but I believe that they are at least mostly dressed by production now--it's all part of establishing their "characters."

I am sure that they get their luxury items back, as those are sometimes very personal, and things like glasses. But their clothes will often re-appear on someone else.

And speaking of glasses--I noticed that a lot of people were wearing diving masks during the challenges. When Erik Reichenbach (the ice cream scooper from Hell) was on the first time, he didn't do any of the swimming challenges because his luxury item was his contact lenses and there were no masks. Last season, it seemed like each tribe had one mask and there was some squabbling over who would get it. This season, there were a lot of masks in those cages. I wonder if they are letting them all have contacts now. As a contact lens wearer, the idea of dealing with contacts on Survivor just makes me . But I would hate having to wear my glasses, too--they'd get so scratched up.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Can my luxury item be a box of contacts? I wear dailies- and that is the ONLY kind I would want to wear in an unsanitary situation like Survivor. (Although if you wear 30-day night/days, then you don't have to worry about taking them out or putting them in at all...but my eyes can't handle those anymore.)

Although, it is a little sad that "sight" is a luxury...

vCash
    I was thinking that booting Garrett means that J'Tia will now have to suffer the consequences of dumping the rice in the fire along with the others on the team she thought she was getting kicked out of. Which is kind of fair retribution.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Can my luxury item be a box of contacts?
    I dunno the specifics. I was pretty shocked that Erik's luxury item was contacts, anyway, as there have been a lot of people on Survivor who wear contacts--or I assume they do because you will see them around the fire at night wearing glasses. I'd think something like contacts would be a given, like glasses, or an inhaler for an asthmatic.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I was thinking that booting Garrett means that J'Tia will now have to suffer the consequences of dumping the rice in the fire along with the others on the team she thought she was getting kicked out of. Which is kind of fair retribution.
    I thought that, too, and was at J'Tia--but the rest of them have to live with it, too.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    It's interesting to hear all this about clothing. In the previews for the next episode, we saw shots of people seemingly dying from the cold and rain and wind. I was thinking, "why doesn't anyone pick a rain jacket with a big hood which has a string along the brim that you can tighten up so your face is almost completely covered"? It's almost sadistic if staff provide tiny tank-tops and skimpy shorts to people when they know how rough the weather can get...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It's interesting to hear all this about clothing. In the previews for the next episode, we saw shots of people seemingly dying from the cold and rain and wind. I was thinking, "why doesn't anyone pick a rain jacket with a big hood which has a string along the brim that you can tighten up so your face is almost completely covered"? It's almost sadistic if staff provide tiny tank-tops and skimpy shorts to people when they know how rough the weather can get...
    They have never been allowed to pack anything like rain gear. In the early seasons, the contestants were sneaky. In season one, B.B. had some glasses made with specially ground lenses so he could use them to start a fire. In season two, Colby's big Texas flag was also waterproof, so they used it as a tarp. Some of the contestants brought only clothes that would be warm when wet or that could be wrung dry for the producers to choose from. And then there was the infamous incident in which Richard Hatch smuggled in waterproof matches.

It didn't take long before the producers really seized control of what the contestants could and could not take with them. Even the luxury items are restricted; they make a list of things they want to take and the producers choose three things off that list from which they get to make their final choices. They are watched nearly all the time and everyone gets a body, clothing and bag search before they leave for the camp.

A lot of people wonder why the contestants are all so stupid and wear such inappropriate clothing. They aren't. They're supposed to be miserable and stripped down to the bone, and the producers makes sure they are.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Note to self: don't click into the thread before you watch the freaking tape.

Eh, oh well. I was going to read everything right up to 8p and then stop, but scanned ahead one too far so I knew the blindside was coming for Garret. Kinda took the fun out of it for me but I still laughed out loud at everyone's reaction. How did Garret ever end up on the "brains" tribe! He was a total idiot. I still don't understand the social aspects of this game sometimes, but even I know not to do the stupid things he did.

They go an actual 3 full days time from Tribal Council until the next challenge, right? So that means its 3 whole days until there is an opportunity for the Brains to try to win some food (if that will even be a reward next challenge)? Should make camp fun for everyone .... which I would love to see. Especially a hungry J'Tia. dat bytch be crazy already, imagine her with no food for 3 days.
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 03-01-2014 at 08:01 AM.

vCash
    If I'm on the brains tribe, any food we *do* have, I'm not giving any to J'Tia. She can dang well go and find her own. She's the weakest link in just about everything to why bother to provide her with nourishment that could be better spent on the others? Yeah, I'm playing nasty.
    Crazy about sports!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Yeah, I'm playing nasty.
    Which will breed animosity within your tribe, making your team psychologically weaker at the next immunity challenge. Which you might then lose because of this and may result in you being voted out at tribal council.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Which will breed animosity within your tribe, making your team psychologically weaker at the next immunity challenge. Which you might then lose because of this and may result in you being voted out at tribal council.
    Awww Peter. Now you're getting all logical on me

Of course I want to go to TC and get J'tai voted off because she's just a noose. I guess I should add that being nasty would involve the others in my tribe? We, as a collective, would make sure J'Tai gets hers one way or another. It seems obvious to me that she's not really a team player so why keep her around. Her action of dumping the rice should result in some sort of "discipline" which normally would have had her evicted. Unfortunately, we had Garrett speak with even more stupidity than J'Tai's actions so he's gone. If I'm on brains, we need to have J'Tai gone because she's now caused us to become even more hungry (and thus weaker) and even more likely to be a the next TC. In short, she needs to be history.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Anyone who thinks nuclear power is a good idea should be forced to watch that episode.

vCash
    Is it just me, but I think Spencer has a good chance to win it all. He seems to understand how to play the game, unlike the rest of his tribemates. Tess might be good too, but this brutally honest stuff from her has to end.

As much as I dislike her, gotta give Morgan credit for the great lie about the choice she had to make. Too bad she wasn't smart enough to find the HII.

All in all, a nice start to the season, which was made better from the start because of no returning players and no redemption island.

vCash
    So was LJ like "hmmmm, the cameraman is standing right there so I'll look under that rock"!

And after 28 seasons, It still amazes me that some of them have no clue on the "survivor" part of the show!

vCash
    Quick, someone tell Jeremiah what happened to the two guys on the brains tribe that thought they had all the power!!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Either the cop guy is going to take a huge fall, or win this thing. We sure are seeing a lot of him in confessional.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast