Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I thought Mills was being a prima donna. All Ashley said was she wanted to branch out and maybe explore other choreographers. She didn't even say she wanted to stop using him. And he had a public hissy fit.
    Mills said in that TSL piece that he considers his choreography art. Which it is. I can respect that, and I understand if an artist doesn't want his work tampered with. He also said that he wasn't comfortable 'changing other people's work'. Ashley apparently doesn't respect this line of thinking nor does she have a problem with this (especially knowing now about her 'Frankenstein' R&J/S&D program that she's working on) and that's okay too. To each his or her own. Neither person is 'wrong' in their decisions and it was obviously best for them to part due to their creative differences. It wouldn't surprize me if Wagner has some regrets about parting with Mills but what's done is done, and in the end, he isn't the only choreographer out there. Nor is she the only skater out there for Mills to work with. Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf334 View Post
    True for this season for Mao and Julia, but not ever overall.
    And this season imo is what is telling. Yuna, Mao, and one of Julia or Adelina can suffer a fall imo and still make the podium. I just have the feeling the Americans will not be extended the same courtesy.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Maybe she thinks she wont fall twice.

vCash
    ^^Well she managed to skate the program to near perfection a number of times last season. Everyone falls every now and then...all that matters is getting back up. Cliche, but very true.

Just b/c she fell twice doesn't mean she should never attempt to skate again...

vCash
    Sure, it doesn't look great, but the psychological benefit of not hearing the opening notes to the disaster that was her skate at Nats is definitely worth it.

On a side note, I just watched her Black Swan program. I missed that entire season. It was awesome!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    Sure, it doesn't look great, but the psychological benefit of not hearing the opening notes to the disaster that was her skate at Nats is definitely worth it.

On a side note, I just watched her Black Swan program. I missed that entire season. It was awesome!

AFA Black Swan that was under Mills and I think he knew how to develop her into the Olympic season. I think she got full of herself wanting a bigger name like Wilson and was over her head when she faced the complication of a different style of choreography. I have never heard of an elite skater taking work from 2 separate choreographers and merging them into a force fit piece of music especially a few weeks before the Olympic games. It sounds like she is setting up a a list of characters to blame when it unravels. What a slap in the face to David Wilson considering that Phillip Mills got his slap in the face last season.

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    She should have used Mirai Nagasu's music.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Did I say anywhere in my post that 'I know for a fact' that Gracie is going to repeat her performance at the Olympics? No, I did not. What I said was, if you read my post carefully, is that Gracie SEEMS to have arrived. That doesn't mean that she HAS arrived - only that it seems so. As to Ashley and her 'Frankenstein' program versus the others whose programs are set.
    Did Ashley say that she was going to combine the two choreographies? Where? My understanding is that she is going back to S&D precisely because little of it needs to be changed, perhaps only the jump placement. But it seems you are enamored with calling it a Frankenstein program for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I thought Mills was being a prima donna. All Ashley said was she wanted to branch out and maybe explore other choreographers. She didn't even say she wanted to stop using him. And he had a public hissy fit.
    May be he did. But I could understand the frustration--he was the king maker and here was Ashley newly crowned at home and internationally, already "branching out." I don't think she came close to exhausting her possibilities with Mills.

I understand if she'd only skated to his programs for many seasons (see Plushy and Marton's music, ugh) but she only had two and things were happening for her. He GOT Ashley as a skater like no one else seems to get her. I hated that they parted ways and thought it didn't bode well for her career.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 01-22-2014 at 06:32 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    As said above, this is a great move for Ashley.

I always thought Phillip Mills wanted a bigger role in her coaching, with Mr. Nicks hinting all that year about retiring. Ashley knew she needed a jumps coach, and I thought he was miffed, so they had a mutual parting. Doesn't take away from the fact that his 2012-13 programs for her were her best ever.

I think she could go back to Black Swan too. Crazy Diamonds as Ashley's SP is just ok for me. Her costume is so black that it is bleak even with the diamonds, although I loved the Black Swan costume, and CD's black is the twin of Mirai's LP costume.

Knowing Ashley, she has enough time to change everything and make it all better.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I recall Ashley saying that she wants to try new choreography, independent of needing a jump coach. My guess is, Mills wouldn't have minded her going to Arutunian, it was her going to a the new choreographer that upset him.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Ashley herself referred to her new S&D as "a Frankenstein of a program" because she is combining elements and choreography. http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...#ixzz2r5bUkpdD

I think if Ashley feels better about skating to S&D, whatever she ends up doing with the choreography and jump lay-outs, then great.

I do disagree with Ashley that Juliet was not a strong woman, however. But who cares really. I just found it funny how Ashley went on and on about relating to the characters, etc. I guess if method skating works for her ... Just land the jumps, Ash!

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Did Ashley say that she was going to combine the two choreographies? Where? My understanding is that she is going back to S&D precisely because little of it needs to be changed, perhaps only the jump placement. But it seems you are enamored with calling it a Frankenstein program for some reason.

Yes, she did in the LA times article. "Frankenstein"
    Is a quote from her.

vCash
    For those of you who are Ashley fans, what is your hope for her Olympic placement? Like, if she skates her best, where do you think she would place?
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    For those of you who are Ashley fans, what is your hope for her Olympic placement? Like, if she skates her best, where do you think she would place?
    Since I have no horse in the race, I would call myself a fan of nearly every skater. I really hope they all skate well. As for Ashley, if she skates her very best, I would think she has a chance at bronze. But I don't really want to outright "hope" for that because then that would probably mean that other skaters, who I like and respect equally, did not have good skates.

O-

vCash
    I say if something is working don't fix it. Phillip Mills got Ashley where she hadn't been before so why try something new in an Olympic year?

vCash
    Thing is that's an impossible question to answer without knowing how Yuna, Mao, Caro etc skate.

My hope? Top 5 if the program changes work out. A medal would require help from others, but not impossible.

vCash
    I'm not sure if I qualify as an "Ashley fan" but I hope that she does "skate her best." As to her placement if she does, that really depends as much on how well (or poorly) the others skate, so I don't have an opinion on where she would place, other than probably in the top 5-6, even if all the other ladies also skate their very best.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I say if something is working don't fix it. Phillip Mills got Ashley where she hadn't been before so why try something new in an Olympic year?
    I do agree with this. An Olympic year isn't a good time to test the waters and try your hand at something new unless what you've been doing before just isn't working at all. I think she should have stuck with Mills for this season and then branched out post-Sochi. She took a gamble switching to Wilson and, by all evidence, she crapped out. I think she tried and did well with what she was given and it's not like it was a bad program. It just wasn't a good program for her...I could see that working on someone like Yu-Na or even Carolina...but it was a mismatch for Ashley.

I get wanting to branch out but I do think it was a mistake to go the direction she went in such a crucial year. In the end she ended up coming back to Mills anyway...well, back to his choreography at least.

As far as where Ashley will place, I too am like Olivia Pug in that I am a fan of nearly every skater. I do think if Ashley delivers both programs cleanly she can place top 5; if she's clean and one of the favorites falter, she can get bronze. In order to get silver or gold it would have to be a very poorly skated event. But at her best and with some help from others, I think she'd place 3rd. In an all skate cleanly scenario, she'd probably place 7th or 8th...
    Last edited by kwanatic; 01-22-2014 at 08:01 PM.

vCash
    She might be someone who will do better when she's thinking through the program element by element. I always thought Kwan did better in her skate at Worlds after her blade loosened from her boot and they had to do the emergency fix because it distracted her and she just took one element at a time. Ditto with showing up at Skate America with a brand new SP when she was a late substitute for Sarah Hughes.

There are a lot of choreographers out there. No need to marry one.

vCash
    I would say position 5ish if she and everyone are flawless. I dont expect perfection from her or nearly anyone, and if she skates relatively well and some others falter then a bronze is totally within reach. Theoretically, any of the medals are in reach for any of these skaters if they bring it:

Yuna Kim
    Mao Asada
    Akiko Suzuki
    Carolina Kostner
    Julia Lipnitskaya
    Ashley Wagner
    Adelina Sotnikova
    Mayyyyybe Gracie Gold. Im not sure where she fits in yet but she definitely has the goods.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    Yes, she did in the LA times article. "Frankenstein"
    Is a quote from her.
    Not a good PR move, Ashley.

from Speedy Death

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast