Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    You confirm the fact that a skater's bio lists coach and Choreographer. That is true, and I also agree that for years it has been available. The thread indicates to me that the issue of a choreographer is fan driven. Officials in any competition are too busy following what they see to worry about who should get credit for a program. In fact, it would be quite unethical for any official to take into consideration the support staff of a skater. O Boy, this should give rise to a Conspiracy therory.
    I am inclined to disagree. Most high level officials/judges DO know who choreographs elite skaters programs, particularly if a skater tends to work with one choreographer year after year. Judges/officials do not work/live in a vacuum. There is a great deal of discussion that goes on throughout the season ...if a program is working, if it covers the ice well, if music needs to be reworked, if the skater is able to convey the theme of the program that has been presented by the choreographer, etc. And, if changes need to be made, it gets back to the skater, thru the coach or the choreographer, via team leaders and thru team officials at specific competitions. It does happen. To say that a skater receives a boost in score because a certain choreographer has assembled a program? Well, not sure if that argument holds water. Many choreographers work with skaters across a broad range of capabilities all at the same level (Sr or Jr international levels)...it is just that some skaters are just better skaters, and have the ability to project and perform the programs that have been created for them better than other skaters. Simple as that.

Back to Wagner, and her return to S&D LP. My concern is that she has not had proper time to really train the program, and with the discussions that the program that will be presented in Sochi is a cut and paste of the originally choreographed S&D with some of the material from R&J....not a lot of time to feel really comfortable with the material. On the other hand, perhaps Wagner needed a different approach, and with the intense focus of "recreating" S&D, perhaps she will be better focused on the mechanics of the program (including speed into jumps, etc) and she will be "in the zone" so to speak, and will be able to perform it at a higher level than the R&J LP from Boston. Guess we will all just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by B.Cooper; 01-31-2014 at 03:36 AM.

vCash
    It's not Frankenstein - it's S&D 2.0! Better than a new iPhone Or maybe it's Hollywood style, "S&D 2: Out of the Rubble"
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    It's not Frankenstein - it's S&D 2.0! Better than a new iPhone Or maybe it's Hollywood style, "S&D 2: Out of the Rubble"
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Romeo and Delilah?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    You confirm the fact that a skater's bio lists coach and Choreographer. That is true, and I also agree that for years it has been available. The thread indicates to me that the issue of a choreographer is fan driven. Officials in any competition are too busy following what they see to worry about who should get credit for a program. In fact, it would be quite unethical for any official to take into consideration the support staff of a skater. O Boy, this should give rise to a Conspiracy therory.
    And judges have never done anything unethical, have they, Morry? Jesus!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Skaters View Post
    If Ashley is not sure who to credit with the choreography for her program, perhaps she should explain to them what she has done with the program & ask them whether or not they want to be credited. She can go from there & note the credits or non-credits accordingly, rather than writing publicly that she does not know what to do about it.

Just because there are some divas in the field of choreography doesn't mean anyone should force collaborative works on choreographers without their agreement, knowledge or input. Some skaters in this situation could have more regard & respect for the choreographic & creative processes; and some choreographers could have better business practices that include clearly defined contracts.
    Whole post.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Big article in the Washington Post featuring Ashley -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/spo...bered/?hpid=z3

vCash
    That was a nice article. It's hard not to like a fighter. I am hoping now she skates lights out in Sochi.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Great article

vCash
    I love the quotes in the heading ' I'm in this to be remembered ' and the journalist entry that she does her best when she has to adapt and fight

Also love this quote (bold mine):

“Off the ice, I can be soft and I can be elegant and sweet. But on the ice, that’s not the kind of competitor I am,” said Wagner, 22. “I relate so much better and compete so much better as a stronger character who is a little bit, almost, evil. For me, when I feel like I’m out there tempting everybody into loving my program, that’s when I feel undefeatable.”

Quadless
    vCash
    Not sure if this has already been posted elsewhere:

O.C.-based skater fulfilling promise made 16 years ago

Last Friday, Wagner went through her program for Nicks one final time before leaving for Sochi.

It didn't take Nicks long to realize the kid was back.

“If she skates like she did Friday, then, yes she can medal,” Nicks said.

Indeed Wagner heads to Sochi with a new confidence and energy that had been missing for months.
    Lots of other good stuff in there.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    What a wonderful article, thank you so much for posting it. So many good quotes from the article.

vCash
    Thanks for the articles. Very nice. I love the picture of Ashley with mascara/eyeliner running down her face lol. She actually looks really pretty in it.

vCash
    Regardless of anything that's happened over the past month, this girl has eternal respect from me.

Nail polish doesn't do justice to this situation,” she said. “Ear rings don't speak out about how same sex couples can't hold hands in public. That's not going to change the facts. Speaking out about it, bringing awareness to this situation, bringing faces to the people who are losing what they deservedly should have in life, that's really what's going to help bring change to this. People keep going what are you going to do, what are you going to do? I'm talking about it. I'm trying to do the best I can to show that I am there 110 percent to support the LGBT community.

vCash
    That was a great article and she has grown into an incredible woman. I love her mindset and approach to everything, it has a maturity that far exceeds what anybody on any message boards have said about her. I loved the don't shove her foot in mouth talking comment too oh Ash you have come a long way. Self aware is a good word to describe this one. It took guts to make the change to the LP right before the Olympics, but she has it all in great perspective and the S&D music really is great for a comeback type of skate - esp if the ladies LP's before her are a snooze!

vCash
    Ashley

Even if she doesn't medal, she'll always be an FSU Gay Icon which is obviously more important.

vCash
    If she has her confidence back that's a good sign - but she cannot fixate on the need to be perfect and not make any mistakes...as has been proven many times in the past, that's not a good mindset to have going into a skate.

Sounds like she is physically ready, at least...but this effort will be 95+% mental. Gotta have your head in the right spot.

vCash
    I don't agree with her that Juliet is a weak character. But that's a minor point in the context -- the main point is that she has to skate a character she can relate to. She's an athlete preparing a program, not an English major working on a thesis.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415