Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Ashley Wagner changes her long program back to "Samson and Delilah"

The news was made official today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...agner/4733375/

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...-long-program/
    “I told my coach the night they picked the Olympic Team that we needed to change this program because it was something I struggled with all season,” Wagner said. “I just couldn’t connect with the Juliet character, the program made me nervous. I was terrified. I didn’t feel confident stepping out onto the ice.”

The skate setup will stay the same.

“My coach let me change the music if we didn’t completely re-do the skate itself,” she said.

Wagner will also revert to a similar yellow free skate costume she wore last season.
    ETA: I believe Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times should be credited with the "scoop" - here is the article link posted by lahaa968 below: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,4478863.story
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-22-2014 at 02:20 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Good move. "Samson and Delilah" is a strong program and she excelled at it.

vCash
    I think it's a good idea.
    I hope she can get the program ready for competition in time for Sochi.

vCash
    Change the SP too. Or at least re-cut the music, remove that screeching guitar solo section during the combo spin.

vCash
    Wagner's SP has been very successful for her this year. Further, changing the long program is enough work and enough of a risk. Changing both would be insane.

vCash
    I think this is a good move. I'm not a huge Ashley uber but I'm rooting for her to put on a good show with a lot of spirit and determination - S&D used to bring that out in her. Good luck to her and to our whole team!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    Good move. "Samson and Delilah" is a strong program and she excelled at it.
    But she is keeping the same element layout and just changing the music, isn't she? Or does 'The skate setup will stay the same.' mean something else?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    But she is keeping the same element layout and just changing the music, isn't she? Or does 'The skate setup will stay the same.' mean something else?
    I believe she was referring to the general set up of the program, element wise--in particular the jumps. That said, S&D and R&J have virtually the same jump layout:

S&D: 3F+C, 2A+C, 3S, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3Lo+C, 3F
    R&J: 3F+3T, 2A, 3S, 3Lo+2A, 3Lz, 3Lo, 3F+2T+2T

I'm guessing she will keep the same layout as R&J, e.g. do the 3Lo+2A first, followed by solo 3Lo after 3Lz.

I'm happy for her; I think it will help her mentally. I will say though that the one technical weakness of S&D was the StSq. She received Level 2 more than once, never a Level 4. I though R&J's step sequence was much stronger and more complex, and I don't think she ever got below a Level 3. Maybe Raf can help out?

vCash
    deleted.

vCash
    Well, perhaps one of the reasons she had issues with R&J was the more complex steps, and doing them earlier in the program. R&J seemed more difficult that S&D in that regard. Her PCS were up this year, but that could be for a wide variety of reasons. Hopefully they won't drop now that she's going back to last year's program.

I hope she rearranges the 3 jump combo because the way the 7th jumping pass is choreographed to the music in S&D is quite effective. It wouldn't be the same if it was 3f2t2t. Also, I think she needs the 3 jump combo before the steps.
    Last edited by Coco; 01-22-2014 at 01:47 AM.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Is Mills helping her bring back the program?

vCash
    I think that R&J was not a good program. It was bland and lacked character. So this is good news. It's a shame Bourne didn't do both of her programs this season because she did a very good job with the SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Is Mills helping her bring back the program?
    Their split wasn't particularly amicable so probably not.

vCash
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...#ixzz2r5aSPtEZ

"She will keep portions of the “Romeo and Juliet” choreography because it has become familiar to her through repetition."

I dunno y'all...transplanted choreo sounds a lil messy.

vCash
    She said the new program “is a Frankenstein of a program,” in that it is pieced together from last season’s program, parts of her “Romeo and Juliet” program and some moves done at different stages than they were before.
    “The general setup of it is ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ but we took pieces from ‘Samson and Delilah’ that I really liked, and I liked the character at those moments and we kind of placed them in methodically,” she said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...#ixzz2r5bUkpdD

That said, go big or go home...high risk high reward.

vCash
    It makes it look like, under COP, excellent choreography to music doesn't really matter. Just the elements.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    It sounds like she will keep some and change some back and so this will in some ways be a new program, just a new program that's been patched together from two old ones.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I think it's very good news, especially if she's more comfortable with her previous music. As she stated here, she didn't feel like a fighter. If this is what she needs to get into it, then by all means go for it.

“When I step out onto the ice to compete ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ I don’t feel like a fighter. I feel very nervous and it’s very difficult for me to get into the mind-set for it.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Ashley, you go girl!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    She said the new program “is a Frankenstein of a program,” in that it is pieced together from last season’s program, parts of her “Romeo and Juliet” program and some moves done at different stages than they were before.
    “The general setup of it is ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ but we took pieces from ‘Samson and Delilah’ that I really liked, and I liked the character at those moments and we kind of placed them in methodically,” she said.
    Bloody hell!

So she did mean at least party doing the current choreography to her old music. Great.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    It sounds like she will keep some and change some back and so this will in some ways be a new program, just a new program that's been patched together from two old ones.
    It's not very likely. Olympics are around the corner and there is not even remotely enough time to get comfortable with new choreography.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmar View Post
    It makes it look like, under COP, excellent choreography to music doesn't really matter. Just the elements.
    Theoretically it does: http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net...planations.pdf. But yeah, the reality of judging is that it doesn't really.

vCash
    Glad she's changing the program, but I actually thought Black Swan worked best for her. Oh well, I hope the "pastiche" works. Good luck, Ashley.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast