View Poll Results: Which man should Russia send to Sochi?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plushenko - Reigning Platinum medallist

41 28.28%
  • Kovtun - Russian Champion

31 21.38%
  • Voronov - European silver medallist

60 41.38%
  • Menshov - European bronze medallist

13 8.97%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I think the answer is still Kovtun. Out of them all, he is the only one who can actually challenge for gold. Plush couldn't even win with a quadless Lysacek, do people really think he would have anything to say against quad-machines like Hanyu, Chan or even Fernandez?

Sure, Kovtun is overhyped almost as much as Gracie Gold, but objectively, he is Russia's best shot at a medal. Voronov has been inconsistent all his career and one good competition is just an exception that proves the rule.

Plushenko landed clean quads in both SP & LP at the Russian nationals. The quads are not his problem. Stamina is.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Is there an anyone but Plushenko option?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    My thoughts too. I'm mainly concerned with the team event because I don't think any of them can challenge for an individual medal. Menshov and Kovtun are too inconsistent for the team event. If Plush is in shape enough to land his jumps, send him, cause he'll get better PCS internationally than Voronov. He might place 1 or 2 spots higher with the same jump content, and that's huge in the team event.
    I agree that Plush helps them in the team event as he is capable of getting through the short program with landed jumps and generous PCS before his body gives out. Getting through all the jumps in the long is another thing entirely, but the way the team event is structured, the worst he could finish is 6th even with a crappy skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I did not find it funny either. I found it derogatory.

I agree that it created a bias because for the other three options no such a derogatory comment was made (not that it would have made difference to haterz, but others may be). The OP could have simply written Plushenko or Past Olympic/world champion. I would have written just Plushenko. There was no need to write anything after that. Everyone is aware of his past accomplishments and current struggles.

'The OP' with the apparently very bad sense of humour actually wants them to send Plushenko...

“What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    Still laughing Although now maybe because of the total lack of sense of humor heading into this Olympic season. Get a grip people.

Embrace the platinum and run with it. Kwan fans made a medal for her and I say more power to them and to her. LEGEND.

I say give the lifetime achievement trip to Sochi to Plushenko to go with the platinum medal. He deserves it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Still laughing Although now maybe because of the total lack of sense of humor heading into this Olympic season. Get a grip people.

Embrace the platinum and run with it. Kwan fans made a medal for her and I say more power to them and to her. LEGEND.
    Plushenko did not award himself a Platinum medal, as Lala pointed out. Plushenko hatred on this board is well known. Given that, IMO the Pt medal part could have been left out.

About the 'sense of humor' point: If it was your favorite skater, you (or some others if it's not you) might be reacting the same way too - a derogatory joke at the expense of a skater you love.

However, Miffy, the OP, graciously apologized immediately. I applaud him/her for that. Apology accepted.

vCash
    Plushenko did not award himself a Platinum medal, as Lala pointed out. Plushenko hatred on this board is well known. Given that, IMO the Pt medal part could have been left out.

About the 'sense of humor' point: If it was your favorite skater, you (or some others if it's not you) might be reacting the same way too - a derogatory joke at the expense of a skater you love.
    Its a shame you view that medal and all references to it as derogatory. I think its awesome and well deserved. Plushenko is a once in a lifetime skater that transcends gold or silver at this point. He is a legend in the sport and I think whoever created that medal for him did it with a kind heart.

Heck, If I could I would give Daisuke a medal made of "adamantium" and to heck with what everyone thought.

vCash
    I'd say Voronov.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    I laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out.
    God I wish I could rep you!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I thought it was hilarious OP.

I'm not sure what bias it would create in a poll that has no weight and is clearly meant to be light hearted.
    Seriously, some of these folks need some perspective. If it was derogatory to anyone, it was not to Plushenko but to the blinded-by-love folks who invented the silly platinum medal thing after Vancouver. I guess maybe not being able to see the lighter side of things is the flip side of not being able to accept defeat graciously.

Back to the poll. If I was the Russian fed I'd name Plushenko with Kovtun first alternate. Yes, Voronov skated better at Euros, but he has a wildly inconsistent track record, and both Kovtun's GP results were strong enough to qualify him for the final.

One thing we need to remember about the team event is that they will not simply be adding up scores.

Points will be awarded in each phase based on placements, from 10 points for first place to 1 point for last place. In the team event, the Russians are likely to place 1st in pairs, no worse than 4th and more likely 3rd in dance, giving them likely 17 or 18 points apart from singles, probably battling with Canada, who earn at least 16 and maybe as many as 18 or even 19 points in these two phases. That leaves Plushenko/Kovtun/Voronov & Sotnikova/Lipnitskaya to collectively outplace Chan and Osmond. That means the Russian man probably won't need to beat Chan, just place close to him. IMO just looking at what he did at his Nationals, Plushenko is strong enough to do that and he is the most consistent and reliable of this crop. All the other Russian men are too inconsistent.

Those SP placement points will carry over to the finals, except only 5 teams move forward, making the difference between first and last place now 10 points to 5 points. (I assume this part was put in to help out the countries with one weak discipline.)
    Last edited by Susan M; 01-19-2014 at 09:55 PM.

vCash
    I voted for Kovtun. I'm not really a fan of his skating style, but he had a good season - Kovtun is the National champion, beating Plush head-to-head. And if that isn't enough, Kovtun made GPF, and even a bad outing still got him top five at Europeans.

If Plush wanted to go to the Olympics so bad, then why didn't he show up last year and try to get two spots at 2013 Worlds?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Don't know. I don't envy the Russian Fed position now.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Voronov was the one at Euros to prove he could hold it together under pressure. The last two seasons he has been increasing in his technical difficulty and his consistency. Hell, even Kovtun admitted the pressure he was under at Euros got to him; so what will happen under OLYMPIC pressure, in his home country? Give Voronov the spot stolen from him in 2010.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I heard that Voronov had injuries and he could not do the 3Lz & 3f until recently. Now he seems to have his jumps back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I voted for Kovtun. I'm not really a fan of his skating style, but he had a good season - Kovtun is the National champion, beating Plush head-to-head. And if that isn't enough, Kovtun made GPF, and even a bad outing still got him top five at Europeans.

If Plush wanted to go to the Olympics so bad, then why didn't he show up last year and try to get two spots at 2013 Worlds?
    The GP results are really deceptive. It depends on how competitive the field is. Some are very strong; others are rather weak. In a relatively weak field Kovtun had a chance to win in his second GP but he crumbled in the LP and placed 3rd. It was enough to make the GPF but only because of the lack of competition. It doesn't look like he has learned to handle pressure. He might be ready in 2018. He has the raw materials, but is not ready right now, and he was not ready for the pressure at worlds last year. Both Johnny and Tara said they would select Plushenko this time. I will be OK with either Plushy or Voronov.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    It made me giggle
    This area is called "The Trash Can" for a reason. But fanatics might get upset with some comments even if not meant seriously.

vCash
    The GP results are really deceptive. It depends on how competitive the field is. Some are very strong; others are rather weak. In a relatively weak field Kovtun had a chance to win in his second GP but he crumbled in the LP and placed 3rd. It was enough to make the GPF but only because of the lack of competition. It doesn't look like he has learned to handle pressure. He might be ready in 2018. He has the raw materials, but is not ready right now, and he was not ready for the pressure at worlds last year. Both Johnny and Tara said they would select Plushenko this time. I will be OK with either Plushy or Voronov.
    Only Tara gave a really good reason thought! The one that is about the fact that except for SP in SLC he can candle pressure like no one else most of the time.

vCash
    Plushenko had back surgery after Euros - he simply couldn't got to Worlds.

vCash
    True about his events having weak fields, but at least he was out there competing. And at least he showed up at Euros, unlike Plushenko who is hiding behind closed doors with a sekret test skate. That bugs me. If Plushenko had come here and thumped Kovtun, then by all means, send him. But he decisively lost in their only head-to-head contest. As for Voronov, if he had thought he was still seriously in the conversation for Sochi, would he have skated as well today?

Well, whoever they are picking, they had better hurry up, the Olympics are almost here!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    True about his events having weak fields, but at least he was out there competing. And at least he showed up at Euros, unlike Plushenko who is hiding behind closed doors with a sekret test skate. That bugs me. If Plushenko had come here and thumped Kovtun, then by all means, send him. But he decisively lost in their only head-to-head contest. As for Voronov, if he had thought he was still seriously in the conversation for Sochi, would he have skated as well today?

Well, whoever they are picking, they had better hurry up, the Olympics are almost here!

Plushenko had multiple surgeries during the off season. He was rehabbing for a long time. Competing in GPs was out of the question. An athlete is allowed to take time off to heal. It's not like he was skating in shows; when he did, it was to slowly get back into skating and performing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast