View Poll Results: Which man should Russia send to Sochi?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plushenko - Reigning Platinum medallist

41 28.28%
  • Kovtun - Russian Champion

31 21.38%
  • Voronov - European silver medallist

60 41.38%
  • Menshov - European bronze medallist

13 8.97%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

After Euros - which man do you think Russia should send to Sochi?

Does Euros change anything? Will they try to please Or will it all hinge on this invisible test skate?
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    @ reigning platinum medalist!!!

having a nice day
    vCash
    Eys that's pretty rude way to define Plushenko status since there is no platinum Olympic medal. you're not attempting to bias the voting or oh so subtly express an opinion are you. No surely not . Nice try lol.

I loves me some plush but I voted for Voronov.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Dilemma: Kovtun or Plush.
    RFed: sends Voronov.

Ok so that will never happen. But how hilarious would that be? Plushenko sure made the best gamble by refusing Euros. If he placed lower than Kovtun it would be game over. I personally think his time has passed though. Kovtun has yet to perform lights out at a big international competition. Sure, Voronov is just as inconsistent. But not like Plush has been either this season.

To be honest though, whoever they send is a non-factor anyway. Might as well send Kovtun for future experience. I did vote for Voronov but he's already 26 so sending him would be wasteful if the RFed is looking towards results and the future.

vCash
    I'd like it to be Menshov, but objectively I'll go with Voronov.

vCash
    Voronov should go but he will be screwed over just like he was in 2010. 2010 was even worse since they bumped him off for their then 2nd spot in favor of some total nobody who had never beaten him before for no reason at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    Dilemma: Kovtun or Plush.
    RFed: sends Voronov.

Ok so that will never happen. But how hilarious would that be? Plushenko sure made the best gamble by refusing Euros. If he placed lower than Kovtun it would be game over. I personally think his time has passed though. Kovtun has yet to perform lights out at a big international competition. Sure, Voronov is just as inconsistent. But not like Plush has been either this season.

To be honest though, whoever they send is a non-factor anyway. Might as well send Kovtun for future experience. I did vote for Voronov but he's already 26 so sending him would be wasteful if the RFed is looking towards results and the future.
    Whoever they send is a huge factor for the team event. Russia can't throw away the men's discipline when Canada and US have two or three. Voronov is actually the most consistent. So then what? No one needs to be focused on he individual event. It's just a non factor. But the team. You need a great sp skater under pressure? Who is that? It's not kovtun at all. Will they throw away potential for gold for kovtun's future? People can say plushenko's past too. It's not something to throw away but actually use. Unless you think Russia pairs dance ladies is enough for them to contend for gold and they can throw away men.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    Eys that's pretty rude way to define Plushenko status since there is no platinum Olympic medal. you're not attempting to bias the voting or oh so subtly express an opinion are you. No surely not . Nice try.
    No, actually, it was just a joke - and I even voted for Plushenko.

vCash
    I voted for platinum medalist Plushenko.
    None of the Russian men are medal threats and none have shown any kind of consistency. Well I guess you could argue they are consistently inconsistent. Might as well send Plushenko who will bring name recognition, excitement and media attention for Russia.

Send Kovtun to worlds for experience. Apart from the Olympics, I don't think it gets any bigger than worlds in Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    No, actually, it was just a joke - and I even voted for Plushenko.
    It wasn't funny..because Plushenko didn't create platinum medal for himself..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    I thought it was funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Then I apologise to immoimeme, lala and anyone else I offended by referring to Plushenko in this unfunny and rude way!
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    Voronov, please. It won't happen but, hey, we can dream.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I think the answer is still Kovtun. Out of them all, he is the only one who can actually challenge for gold. Plush couldn't even win with a quadless Lysacek, do people really think he would have anything to say against quad-machines like Hanyu, Chan or even Fernandez?

Sure, Kovtun is overhyped almost as much as Gracie Gold, but objectively, he is Russia's best shot at a medal. Voronov has been inconsistent all his career and one good competition is just an exception that proves the rule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    I thought it was funny.
    It made me giggle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    It made me giggle
    Made me giggle too! I think we all need to lighten up a bit. I must admit I really don't know who they will send or should send. The universe will unfold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    It made me giggle
    I laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    Eys that's pretty rude way to define Plushenko status since there is no platinum Olympic medal. you're not attempting to bias the voting or oh so subtly express an opinion are you. No surely not . Nice try lol.

I loves me some plush but I voted for Voronov.
    I did not find it funny either. I found it derogatory.

I agree that it created a bias because for the other three options no such a derogatory comment was made (not that it would have made a difference to haterz, but others may be). The OP could have simply written Plushenko or Past Olympic/world champion. I would have written just Plushenko. There was no need to write anything after that. Everyone is aware of his past accomplishments and current struggles.

I voted for Plushenko (may be the bias influenced me in a reverse way ). I would love to see Menshov get a chance to go to the Olympics -because he was denied the worlds opportunity last year- but I know it's not going to happen.

Voronov has performed better than Kovtun, IMO but I don't know the politics there. Kovtun clearly looks like he had one great performance at the Russian nationals, and he is way too inconsistent to carry such great pressure right now.

So my vote goes to:

Plushenko if he can prove through a skate off that he is in a good enough shape to skate both SP & LP competitively (better than the other three)

Otherwise send Voronov. It's not a bad thing if someone other than Plushenko gets a chance to go to the Olympics; I just don't want it to be Kovtun because he needs a couple more years to learn how to handle the pressure. JMO.
    Last edited by Vash01; 01-19-2014 at 05:32 PM.

vCash
    I thought it was hilarious OP.

I'm not sure what bias it would create in a poll that has no weight and is clearly meant to be light hearted.
    Personally I think they should just do Eeny, meeny, miny, moe! Unless Plushenko really has more ability then we might think based off this season, it doesn't look like it matters much either way.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

Plushenko if he can prove through a skate off that he is in a good enough shape to skate both SP & LP competitively (better than the other three)

Otherwise send Voronov.
    My thoughts too. I'm mainly concerned with the team event because I don't think any of them can challenge for an individual medal. Menshov and Kovtun are too inconsistent for the team event. If Plush is in shape enough to land his jumps, send him, cause he'll get better PCS internationally than Voronov. He might place 1 or 2 spots higher with the same jump content, and that's huge in the team event.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast