vCash

US ladies short programs

Here is my take of the US ladies SP after watching them again.

Gold: spectacular program. The music crescendo into 3Z+3T was phenomenal. There are still room for improvement. The positions of her spins were great, but the centering needed some work. If she keeps improving, Gracie can be a super star!

Wagner: unfortunate music choice. The cat screaming/nail scratching chalk board/music during the combo spin was very distracting. There was nothing Ashley could do to make it enjoyable. I just could not get into the program and enjoyed the performance because of the music.

Edmund: I really enjoyed it. Great music choice. The only program had transitions at the very end. Very clever. Technically, she is brilliant. I am looking forward to see more of her skating.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I love Pink Floyd. It suits Ashley. I was iffy about it at the start of the season but have grown to appreciate it. This is what she is good at--power ballads. She has been scored appropriately high for this, which doesn't mean that judges have taste because...they scored Gracie's Gershwin mess even higher IIRC. Now THAT was the sound of cats fighting, per Frank Carroll.

Gracie'c new SP is beautiful. She executes it beautifully, save for the unfortunate free leg position in the spiral.

Polina--it always seemed weird to me to have a child try to look sexy and sexy is what this music demands. She executes it with verve but is still extremely awkward and angular. Not right for that music.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I love Pink Floyd. It suits Ashley. I was iffy about it at the start of the season but have grown to appreciate it. This is what she is good at--power ballads. She has been scored appropriately high for this, which doesn't mean that judges have taste because...they scored Gracie's Gershwin mess even higher IIRC. Now THAT was the sound of cats fighting, per Frank Carroll.

Gracie'c new SP is beautiful. She executes it beautifully, save for the unfortunate free leg position in the spiral.
    Pink Floyd

My love for David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Nick Mason, and Rick Wright knows no bounds, so I'm always excited when a team puts out a (great) program to their music. Delobel/Schoenfelder's "Great Gig In The Sky" FD was an amazing program, both in terms of the music cuts they used as well as their choreography -- it was, IMO, far superior to

Loved Papadakis/Cizeron's Pink Floyd FD from Juniors last season, and a part of me hoped they would build on that and make a kickass FD for their debut on the Senior level. The Dishonorable Mentions to teams that skated to anything by Floyd are Ina/Zimmerman's FS to Shine on You Crazy Diamond back in 2001-2002, Gregory/Petukhov's FD to Money (mixed with the techno song "Sandstorm" by DaRude) which was cringeworthy, and lastly, the FD by V/M's to the same music (and the same season as DelShoes), and fell short for many of the same reasons the French team's was so much better (specifically the music cuts and choreography).

My only nitpick about Ashley's SOYCD music is the dubbed in guitar solo. David Gilmour is the only one who can play the guitar on that song and make it work. By comparison that was subbed in sounds like something my teenager taught herself on the guitar three years ago when she was a beginner. .

ETA: (and totally random)...MiniCyn's Senior Prom is in a couple of months, and after two years of wearing blue gowns (one Cobalt, the other Aqua), she decided she wants a red dress. When I showed her Gracie's SP from Nats, she did the happy dance and said that Gold's dress (the sleeves, bodice, and neckline -- the skirt, no so much ) is exactly what she wants to find for her dress this year .

vCash
    When I first heard Shine on You Crazy Diamond, I thought it would be a brilliant piece for skating (even though I first complained that Pink Floyd seems to be to go to choice for choreographers who want to do something "different"). However, I think the problem are the music cuts. Wagner's choreographer could have done more to build the music up to make a lasting impact. It makes me wonder what Phillip Mills could have done with this music.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce