View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 'almost girl'?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barbie Smith / USA - 1977

0 0%
  • Debbie Cottrill - GBR - 1981

0 0%
  • Patricia Neske - FRG - 1989

0 0%
  • Laetitia Hubert - FRA - 1992

4 4.35%
  • Marina Kiellmann - GER - 1994

2 2.17%
  • Laetitia Hubert - FRA - 1998

5 5.43%
  • Tatiana Malinina - UZB - 1999

13 14.13%
  • Yukari Nakano - JPN - 2008

45 48.91%
  • Ashley Wagner - USA - 2012

15 16.30%
  • Kanako Murakami - JPN - 2013

8 8.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Your favourite 'almost girl'

Until her comeback in 2012, Ashley Wagner was referred to as the 'almost girl.'

I thought it might be fun to create a poll voting for our favorite fourth placed ladies' skater.

Amazingly, since 1977, of the 37 ladies that have placed fourth at worlds, only nine of those never won a medal. Lady Zamboni herself, Laetitia Hubert, wins this honor twice!
    (Wagner, 4th in 2012 and Murakami, 4th in 2013 don't really count as they are still competing in eligible competition.)

They were:

Barbie Smith (USA) - 1977
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WC6oy_2vyA

Debbie Cottrill (GBR) - 1981
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG-eRWpboDg

Patricia Neske (FRG) - 1989
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSuu6qJlqlc

Laetitia Hubert (FRA) - 1992
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byO_bGMoCwo

Marina Kiellmann (GER) - 1994
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3kZhBSJ1jY

Laetitia Hubert (FRA) - 1998
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdeco_kA_E

Tatiana Malanina (UZB) - 1999
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwVdheQlYq0

Yukari Nakano (JPN) - 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeSwUNLqFkE

Ashley Wagner (USA) - 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXc8UO8WLTQ

Kanako Murakami (JPN) - 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSNHk2GcISU11
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 01-18-2014 at 04:35 PM.

vCash
    Yukari Nakano is definitely my favorite on this list (not counting Wagner and Murakami). I didn't see the pre-1992 girls though.

vCash
    Yukari Nakano is my most favorite on this list.

Wagner & Murakami are still competing so they could get off this list in a couple of months.

vCash
    Yukari, among those listed. My all-time 'Almost Girl' is Joanne Conway, who had tremendous style, ability to jump, physical beauty but wasn't able to put it together for a medal in a big competition except for her last Euros, I believe.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yukari Nakano is my most favorite on this list.

Wagner & Murakami are still competing so they could get off this list in a couple of months.
    I agree. That's why I didn't vote for Ashley.

vCash
    I voted for Ashley, but she could still win a world medal, so if she doesn't count I'll go with Malinina, whom I really enjoyed. Her 'dream season' in '99 stands out in my mind and I wish she could have snagged the bronze.

vCash
    I wouldn't count Wagner or Murakami out as world medal contenders this season.

My favorite is Yukari....i still watch her Giselle, Shostakovich, Firebird , and Moulin Rouge programs to this day.

vCash
    I think Mirai could be counted as an almost girl now...

vCash
    IMO, Yukari Nakano is the only one on the list that should have been the World Champion. I know the system the way it was couldn't have given it to her, but that performance was THE performance of that competition (for the ladies anyway).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I think Mirai could be counted as an almost girl now...
    Since she finished 4th in the Olympics (2010), she could make this list based on that. However, she too is still competing so if she makes the world team in the next few years, she has a chance to win a world medal.

vCash
    My fav is Yukari Nakano. I think Kanako is not kinda almost girl. Making an Olympic team together with Mao was her dream and it came true. I think she'll not regret anything if she gives satisfactory programs in Sochi, even though she retires after this season. Me too think Mirai and Ashley should not be included in this pole since they are still competing/on their journey.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    My heartfelt vote goes to Marina. I think that was the first time I felt really bad for a skater not making a podium (even though I was a major Tanja S. fan and wanted her to get that World medal also).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    IMO, Yukari Nakano is the only one on the list that should have been the World Champion. I know the system the way it was couldn't have given it to her, but that performance was THE performance of that competition (for the ladies anyway).
    I went to look at the protocals for that Worlds and was surprised that she had fewer UR's than I had remembered. However, she hardly got any GOE's for her jumps, which is what hurt her scores. I am not sure if she could have won in the old system, which was more reputation based, and Yukari did not have the reputation or the difficulty of the other girls. Well, she did have the 3A. But not a 3-3, so not necessarily more difficult than Kim's layout. Mao, at the time, had both and landed two 3-3 combos in the LP, despite falling on her axel. I do feel she deserves to be on the podium at least, instead of Kostner at that Worlds.
    Last edited by miki88; 01-19-2014 at 03:00 PM.

vCash
    Yes it could have. Her PCS in the long program should have literally been 10 points higher than anyone else based on performance level alone. The only other one that night that even gave a nice performance was Asada but sliding on her stomach on her first all took alot away from it. Yu Na Kim made mistakes and was hurting, careful (due to being hurt), and blah, even if she won the LP; and Kostner plain sucked that night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Yes it could have. Her PCS in the long program should have literally been 10 points higher than anyone else based on performance level alone. The only other one that night that even gave a nice performance was Asada but sliding on her stomach on her first all took alot away from it. Yu Na Kim made mistakes and was hurting, careful (due to being hurt), and blah, even if she won the LP; and Kostner plain sucked that night.
    But PCS is based more than performance though. Also if you taken into execution, Yukari's jumps do not have the same quality as the others. Do you think she could have won in another system? I remember even back in 6.0, there were skaters who had clean performances but still placed lower than the favorites who made mistakes.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Kielmann by a mile. Loved her. Too bad about the last jump.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Oh, crap, I voted for Laetitia Hubert 1992 when I really meant Laetitia Hubert 1998!

In any case, hard to choose since I also wanted Nakano and Malinina on the podium!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    But PCS is based more than performance though. Also if you taken into execution, Yukari's jumps do not have the same quality as the others. Do you think she could have won in another system? I remember even back in 6.0, there were skaters who had clean performances but still placed lower than the favorites who made mistakes.
    I do believe that Yukari could have won under 6.0. It would have been very close between Mao and her, but Yukari isn't Elena Sokolova. She was a quality skater with great flow and basics and the best spins in the world at the time. Under 6.0, her triple axel would have been seen as clean and the rest of her performance was on fire. Mao slid and fell and took like 20-30 seconds to recover. However, she did manage to skate very well afterwards. One thing I am for sure about, Kostner would not have been on that podium, and it was a black mark on that version of COP that Kostner's horrific performance garnered her high enough scores to win silver.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I do believe that Yukari could have won under 6.0. It would have been very close between Mao and her, but Yukari isn't Elena Sokolova. She was a quality skater with great flow and basics and the best spins in the world at the time. Under 6.0, her triple axel would have been seen as clean and the rest of her performance was on fire. Mao slid and fell and took like 20-30 seconds to recover. However, she did manage to skate very well afterwards. One thing I am for sure about, Kostner would not have been on that podium, and it was a black mark on that version of COP that Kostner's horrific performance garnered her high enough scores to win silver.
    ITA. One reason it took me years to appreciate Kostner's skating. Yea, I agree it's one of those close competitions that could go either way. I also wonder if Yukari's leg wrap would affect her second mark. Aesthetics counted more back in the day. Sasha Cohen masked her technical weaknesses with the superiority of her aesthetic qualities.

vCash
    Yukari Nakano.

When she skated that year, with pure energy and joy, I was sure she'd won.

Ah, well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast