Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Anyone thinking a Marley/LeDuc matchup would be nice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I agree with jdonavan about the "weak" comment in regards to USA pairs, it's not only insulting, ignorant, but supercilious as well.
    Your reaction seems a little over the top. When I was saying the competition is sometimes 'weak' at the US pairs level, what I was also getting at is that there are no U.S. pairs that have been on the World or Olympic podium over the past decade. You unfortunately have to go back to Ina & Zimmerman in 2002 to find a pair that won at the World level. This is in contrast to Canada, Russia, Europe & China which have multiple medalists in pairs at the World and Olympic level.

This weak (inconsistent?) performance by U.S. pairs internationally means that there is so much switching of partners and retirements that the U.S. finds it hard to build up a stable of pairs that can beat the top pairs internationally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Yes, I suppose the fact that in the U.S. you can make the pairs podium almost overnight because of the weak competition, ends up meaning that a lot of partner switches take place. Skaters in the U.S. can change pairs regularly and still make it to the podium even if they are only of average ability. You couldn't do that in Canada or Russia. There are several strong top teams in those countries and it's harder to make the podium the same year you get a new partner.
    This is what you stated, The Observer, verbatim. And which I disagreed with. No flip flopping please.

Back on topic, I agree with Squeeky that a pairing of Mary Beth Marley (4'10") and Timothy LeDuc (6'1") would be nice. She's a contender for sure. She & Rockne podiumed their first time at Nationals and their second time as well ~ went from 4th to 2nd. And with the added height differential who knows what they could accomplish!!!!!

vCash
    Observer, what is this country you call Europe and who represents it? Do you mean Germany? Because Germany is the only European country, other than Russia, that has been on the World or Olympic podium in the last 10 years. Specifically, the team of Savchenko and Szolkowy is the only German team who has placed on the World or Olympic podium in the last 10 years. I don't think that Germany is knee deep in pair talent the way that Russia seems to be again. I hope that Savchenko can find a partner. So, Observer, when you characterize the country of "Europe" as having multiple medalists, you are really only referring to 1 team: Savchenko and Szolkowy. Russia, however, is drowning in talent. I expect Russia to dominate the pairs podium for the next 4 years, but share the medals with Canada and China. This doesn't make the teams from all other countries, including the USA, "weak" as you put it. They are all world class athletes.

vCash
    Yes, I was referring to mainly Germany over the past decade of course with S&S. But there have been others before that. The French pair of Abitbol & Bernadis won a medal in 2000 and there have been other European pairs over the years, such as Woetzel & Steuer.

Europe was just one geographic area I was representing, but obviously it hasn't dominated the same way that Russia and Canada have.

vCash
    Yes, I was referring to mainly Germany over the past decade of course with S&S. But there have been others before that. The French pair of Abitbol & Bernadis won a medal in 2000 and there have been other European pairs over the years, such as Woetzel & Steuer.

Europe was just one geographic area I was representing, but obviously it hasn't dominated the same way that Russia and Canada have.
    Since when has Canada dominated in Pairs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Well, right now they are the dominate force in the 4-continent region. (Not necessarily @ the 4CCs championship- since this year they didn't send their top teams.)

But of all the Asia-Africa-Australia-Americas countries, I'd say Canada dominates (or maybe China...).

But yeah, world-wide; pairs is dominated by Europe.

vCash
    Canada better hope neither of their top teams get hurt because even the US has way more depth just not a top 6 Pairs team.

vCash
    Canada better hope neither of their top teams get hurt because even the US has way more depth just not a top 6 Pairs team.
    That's true. I would say any of our top 6 or 7 pairs could beat/compete with Canada's number three and certainly below. The success of teams like MT/M and especially D/R gives me eternal hope that one of our pairs will break into the upper echelon if we can just have a team be consistent enough to be the clear US # 1 and get some real international momentum building. I know D&C were very consistent but I think his injury prevented them from building internationally on their first year momentum and then when they came back, we had USFS kind of unsure as to whether C/S or D/C was their #1 and putting them head to head at SA (plus S/K had built some momentum with their Worlds finish). And with the US having B lister status in pairs internationally, the federation half heartedly backing 2-3 teams did no one team any major favors internationally in terms of building momentum. If we can seriously get behind one team who performs relatively consistently internationally, for more than 1 season, I think we'll at least get back into the conversation the way we were in the Meno and Ina eras. With a US Worlds looming, I hope it happens. Depth and similar international finishes among 3-5 teams makes for an exciting Nationals but we need one team to solidly and firmly distinguish themselves from the pack.

C/S seemed to be on that road in Sochi and I think they would have been rewarded with very good scores at Worlds and at least 7th or 8th place, setting themselves up really well for next season, but they didn't walk through that door. I don't think it's closed however assuming they come back but they'll have to start strong. Next season will be interesting all around, I'm excited to see who gets what GPs.
    Last edited by lauren329; 04-18-2014 at 01:37 AM.

vCash
    I didn't say Canada was the ONLY dominant country in pairs, but it has been one of the dominant countries for many years, after Russia, which has won the most World titles. But Canada has always had a series of pairs on the World podium, and has won many World titles over the years, as well as Olympic medals. Historically, Canada has been ahead of the U.S. in pairs skating. This is a generally accepted fact. It's the same as how the U.S. has been far more dominant in women's skating than Canada, which is a weak point for Canadian skating.

vCash
    I didn't say Canada was the ONLY dominant country in pairs, but it has been one of the dominant countries for many years, after Russia
    And China.

It sounds like Matt Blackmer has found his new partner, based on his tweet tonight.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Well, right now they are the dominate force in the 4-continent region. (Not necessarily @ the 4CCs championship- since this year they didn't send their top teams.)

But of all the Asia-Africa-Australia-Americas countries, I'd say Canada dominates (or maybe China...).

But yeah, world-wide; pairs is dominated by Europe.
    I think China is WAY more dominant than Canada in pairs, being the only country to legitimately break the Russian dominance at the Olympics (i.e. not have to share the gold). The two top Canadian teams were beaten all this season by an aged Chinese team on their last competitive breathe and even on a few occasions by the two younger (except Zhang Hao) Chinese teams - how's that dominating the 4CC circuit?

China had a bit of a down-swing after Vancouver with retirements and injuries, but like Russia, they're definitely on the rise again, with several promising teams coming up the pipeline, including the Jr world champs. I don't see the same for Canada, unless maybe if Mervin Tran can find a better partner. Personally I don't think European pairs are that competitive right now either, if you take out Russia. I'll give you Canada being stronger than the US in pairs, for the moment, but I think the US has a lot more depth (if our teams don't keep breaking up). Next quad should be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It sounds like Matt Blackmer has found his new partner, based on his tweet tonight.
    Who??? Don't tease!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Who??? Don't tease!
    I'd guess this is the tweet that post was based on.
    Matthew Blackmer ‏@MattBmer 11h

So excited for the future. #TheSearch is over!
    So he hasn't said yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    how's that dominating the 4CC circuit?
    Canada had 2 teams finish above any other 4CC country at Worlds this year. The only 4CC team that beat them in the Olympics is now retired. Canada also had 2 teams in the GPF, though China did have 2 teams above them (one now retired).

So perhaps Canada and China are sharing dominance of the 4C countries; but Canada is certainly doing well right now. Most the the 4C countries are just non-entities in pairs.

They do lack depth however. (The US seems to have depth in all the disciplines, but no one at the top.)

vCash
    Who??? Don't tease!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'd guess this is the tweet that post was based on.

So he hasn't said yet.

Lol Matthew Blackmer has a wry sense of humour, this is his new skating partner: https://twitter.com/MattBmer/status/...542145/photo/1

vCash
    Local California article on 12-year-old twins Jasmine and Joshua Fendi who won the 2014 U.S. Juvenile Pairs title: http://www.presstelegram.com/2014041...-skating-world

Who??? Don't tease!
    Sorry! I would have included the name had he tweeted it.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Can't believe Leng/ Leduc split up. I hope they find good partners, they are so talented!

vCash
    Local California article on 12-year-old twins Jasmine and Joshua Fendi who won the 2014 U.S. Juvenile Pairs title: http://www.presstelegram.com/2014041...-skating-world

Sorry! I would have included the name had he tweeted it.
    So Matt was just kidding that his partner search is over?

Wonder what the odds are of Joshua Fendi growing taller than his sister? They definitely possess great basic skating skills and Oppegard has a flair for interesting pair choreography, tho his wife Karen might have created this team's recent winning routine.

vCash
    I don't know. He posted his search was over.

And then later he posted the joke picture. It wasn't just the joke.

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast