Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

vCash
    Thanks for pointing me to that thread, Sylvia! :-)

Proud Supporter of Israeli Figure Skating!

vCash
    You're welcome.

Re-posting from another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    US national pairs camp coming to my neck of the woods Friday & Saturday. I'll try to stay alert for any news!!
    Great, thanks! Here's the info on the camp: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=516
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Deleted
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-12-2014 at 01:43 AM.

vCash
    Was it really necessary to bring those comments over here? Chances are the original poster won't see your response here anyway - you could just send a PM. Oh well, too late.

ETA: I guess it wasn't too late. Thank you for removing your post above, aftershocks.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-12-2014 at 01:51 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Was it really necessary to bring those comments over here?
    You're right, Sylvia. I only noticed your comment in the other thread after I'd posted here already. Yes, I guess sometimes it pays to just shake one's head and skip it. I will delete here. We all make mistakes sometimes and have errors in perception/ misjudgements.

I think the OT comments in the other thread are off-base and uncalled for, but yeah no need to highlight them in this thread.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-12-2014 at 01:58 AM.

vCash
    Has anyone heard yet if Denney/Couglin are competing next season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Britney Simpson is currently skating with Canada's Matthew Penasse in Colorado (an official partnership has not yet been announced, AFAIK) - posted in the Canadian Pairs news thread today: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4263000
    Matthew has made this official on his Facebook page now.

They plan to compete for USA.

vCash
    ^^ Interesting!!

vCash
    Chiming in just a bit late with observations from pairs camp. I will apologize up front for having NO DIRT WHATSOEVER on the top teams. Sorry, folks! I was there for just the FS competitions on Saturday morning, and this was small--4 juv pairs, 2 intermediate pairs, 4 novice pairs, and 1 junior pair. Other teams skated their SPs on Friday night. It looked like the rest of the weekend consisted of a LOT of monitoring sessions for individual teams, plus some lectures/education on nutrition, fitness, and such. I only saw two senior pairs teams signed up for camp--De La Mora/Wilson and another pair (whose names I have forgotten--not a top team).

ANYWAY, even though I didn't get to watch top teams like I did last year, I saw some great skills and potential.
    Juv pairs: Such a mixed bag! The guys in particular varied SO much in physical maturity and the tinier sprouts had trouble with lifts. Nice presentation from Kristin Lyle George/Jake Pagano and Katherina Frantz/Nicolas Frantz (and I have heard that the latter pair will be moving to Fort Wayne to work with the EXCELLENT team of our skating director Alena Lunin and her husband Sasha Lunin.
    Int pairs: My only note was that the team of Carlie Quesada/Adrian Shin skated to Phantom
    Novice pairs: Fun to see overhead lifts, which I think are disallowed at the lower levels?
    Notable moments/elements:
    -A BIG throw 2loop from Remi Bennett/Jacob Nussle and he has a lovely spread eagle (used it as they entered the death spiral and in their choreo sequence).
    -Darbie Burke/Griffin Schwab: Darbie is just the most adorable thing ever, as I'd noticed last year. I don't remember who her partner was last year but she also stood out as a skater with LOTS of joy, good skating skills, and good presentation. Dunno about her partner, but she's definitely one to watch. Also this pair was already incorporating some interesting transitions and entries into elements.
    -Ashlyn Olson/Stanley Mackey: did an Addams Family program. They seemed to really struggle with lifts, most likely because he's on the small side (seemed to be in that stage where boys grow up a lot but not out and are waiting for that muscle buildup of later adolescence).
    -Gabriella Marvaldi/Cody Dolkiewicz: A GREAT pairing. They're very well matched, especially in terms of presentation--he 'brings it' as much as she does. Pulled off SBS 2z and 2loop-2t combo. One to watch for the future, for sure.
    Jr Pairs was represented by Linde LaChance/Kenneth Anderson, who did a Romeo and Juliet LP. All I wrote down was "nice death spiral" and that they'd done a 1-arm lift (got up there with 2 arms and then transferred to a 1-arm).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Chiming in just a bit late with observations from pairs camp. I will apologize up front for having NO DIRT WHATSOEVER on the top teams. Sorry, folks! I was there for just the FS competitions on Saturday morning, and this was small--4 juv pairs, 2 intermediate pairs, 4 novice pairs, and 1 junior pair. Other teams skated their SPs on Friday night. It looked like the rest of the weekend consisted of a LOT of monitoring sessions for individual teams, plus some lectures/education on nutrition, fitness, and such. I only saw two senior pairs teams signed up for camp--De La Mora/Wilson and another pair
    Thank you, LilJen! The other pair was Alexandria Shaughnessy/James Morgan (12th in Senior at Nationals in Boston). He tweeted this past weekend about attending the camp. Taylor Wilson recently tweeted that he and Brianna de la Mora passed their Senior test, which means they intend to move up this season.

Novice pairs: ...
    -Darbie Burke/Griffin Schwab: Darbie is just the most adorable thing ever, as I'd noticed last year. I don't remember who her partner was last year but she also stood out as a skater with LOTS of joy, good skating skills, and good presentation. Dunno about her partner, but she's definitely one to watch. Also this pair was already incorporating some interesting transitions and entries into elements.
    Burke has skated with Schwab for many years now (back to at least 2009). They've medaled previously at Nationals at the Juvenile/Intermediate levels but placed 5th in Novice Pairs at Easterns last year, just missing Nationals. I believe she is around 13 and he 17 now?

-Gabriella Marvaldi/Cody Dolkiewicz: A GREAT pairing. They're very well matched, especially in terms of presentation--he 'brings it' as much as she does. Pulled off SBS 2z and 2loop-2t combo. One to watch for the future, for sure.
    For those who might not know, Gabriella is the daughter of Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval(di). Marvaldi/Dolkiewicz placed 8th in Novice in Boston and are ISU Junior (JGP) age-eligible this season, but would likely have to move up to Junior if they want to be considered for the ISP.

ETA on 6/17 that I've been informed that Marvaldi/Dolkiewicz tested up to Junior at the pairs camp and plan to compete Junior this season. They won both the Novice SP & FS in Fort Wayne.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-17-2014 at 10:03 PM.

vCash
    Wow, I would never have thought Burke was 13. She's SO tiny! Let's hope she'll keep her skills as she grows.

Many people at my rink didn't know Gabriella Marvaldi was "skating royalty" but I straightened them out. Her dad was listed as their coach.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Denney/Coughlin announced today they will not compete this year - link to news thread with press release link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...2014-15-Season

Daniel Raad (who formerly skated pairs with Haven Denney at Novice/Junior) has teamed with Danielle Montalbano to skate for ISR: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4280939

GP-eligible & listed in USFS' International Selection Pool:
    Felicia Zhang & Nathan Bartholomay
    Alexa Scimeca & Christopher Knierim
    Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier
    Tarah Kayne & Daniel O'Shea
    Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage
    Jessica Noelle Calalang & Zack Sidhu

NEW (not yet listed in ISP) - at least one partner has competed internationally before:
    DeeDee Leng & Simon Shnapir
    Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran - registered to compete SP at Quebec comp., Aug. 7-10
    Kaitlin Budd & Matthew Blackmer
    Britney Simpson & Matthew Penasse
    Anya Davidovich & Matej Silecky (hearsay)

JGP-eligible & listed in ISP:
    Cirinia Gillett & Maximiliano Fernandez N2
    Jessica Lee & Robert Hennings N3
    Lindsay Weinstein & Jacob Simon N4
    NEW: Chelsea Liu & Brian Johnson (not yet listed in ISP)

ETA another JGP age-eligible pair:
    ETA on 6/17 that I've been informed that Gabriella Marvaldi/Cody Dolkiewicz tested up to Junior at the pairs camp and plan to compete Junior this season. They won both the Novice SP & FS in Fort Wayne.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-24-2014 at 07:41 PM.

vCash
    Great news for Marvaldi/Dolkiewicz. They really seemed to be a big step ahead of the other novice teams in terms of skating skills/presentation.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    ^^ Why did they place behind so many of the novice teams at Nationals in January? Just bad draws?

vCash
    It's likely Marvaldi/Dolkiewicz have improved since Nationals. They teamed up last season.

2014 Nationals Novice Pairs results/protocols: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...011SEG014.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-24-2014 at 11:34 PM.

vCash
    Thanks. I thought they looked good at Nationals, but early skating draws didn't help them in the scoring.

Yes, being already good together, they surely have continued to get better.

vCash
    With Denney & Coughlin sitting out the upcoming season, my bets on a couple of my favorites rising to the TOP! Namely Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage, as well as Britney Simpson & Matthew Penasse. I have to be honest, I'm more excited about Britney & Matthew than anybody else, and am sooooo happy they're competing for the USA! I think they look absolutely FAB together, and hats off to Britney for finding such a tall partner (6'3") to match her 5'3".

Also I totally expect Scimeca & Knierim to capture their first National Title, they're AWESOME!!!!

ps: hmmm, has Gretchen Donlan found a partner yet?

vCash
    Wow, I would never have thought Burke was 13. She's SO tiny! Let's hope she'll keep her skills as she grows.

Many people at my rink didn't know Gabriella Marvaldi was "skating royalty" but I straightened them out. Her dad was listed as their coach.
    Gabriella looks a great deal like her Mom. Is she called Gabby, Ella, or Brie for short, do you know? Both parents were with her and her partner in the kiss 'n cry along with someone else who looked like a relative (her sister?)

With a very good partner and coaching by her parents, they should do well. I think it's good though that a lot of people don't make the "skating royalty" connection. Allow her and her partner to make their own buzz.

vCash
    Do Matkin/Highgate-Brutman (N6) plan on staying in Novice or moving up to Junior? Aren't they also age-eligible? Also, same question goes for McDougal/Schatz (J10); are they moving up to Senior or staying in Junior?

vCash
    Yes, Matkin/Highgate-Brutman are JGP age-eligible but I don't know their plans yet. McDougal/Schatz (he is ISU Junior age-ineligible) registered in Junior for an early season club competition in Florida but ended up not competing.

Junior to Juvenile pairs scores from early season club competition results published online so far: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/s...-pairs-scores/

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast