Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

vCash
    If Mervin moved to live just over the US border in upstate NY or VT, it is roughly a 60 mile commute to St. Leonard QC, the biggest problem being border crossing in these miserable post 911 days. While a slog, he might be able to work out being a US resident, although not in time for KOR without Congressional help, I would think.

Oh for the days of my youth, when my husband played hockey 3 nights a week in QC, when all you had to do going through the border going north to Canada was mount your hockey sticks on the ski rack:

Borderguard: "Hockey?"
    Mr. Ski: "Hockey!"

Canadian Guard waves you through.

The US crossing only took a little longer.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Revisionist history. The "best US Lady" was never good at rotating and landing her jumps, which is why she and John were never higher than 6th at Nationals until the one decent Nationals they finally mustered in 2011.
    When they split, she had just placed 6th at Worlds with Coughlin, which was higher than any other US Pair since Inoue/Baldwin (4th in 2006, post Olympics), and Ina/Zimmerman (3rd in 2002). Any other seeded US Pairs recently? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    . But she has also been a recipient of the money USFS does spend on its skaters: envelope funding, champs camps, travel to competitions. For what USFS does do- she's near the top of it.
    Skaters earn envelope money based on the prior season's results and is paid in the current season to be applied to the current season's expenses. The last money Castelli/Shnapir earned was for the 2012-13 season, which was paid this season. They earned every dime of it, with their results two seasons ago, and they fulfilled every obligation this season. I don't even think a team that stops in the middle of the season should have to pay back envelope money earned the season before or go through the farce of staying together until the last installment is paid for money earned in the past, but even if that's the way the system works, I don't think they should have to pay back a dime. Envelope funding is not a lifetime achievement award, and it's not a developmental award: it's money allocated based on specific results.

Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    As a federation, wouldn't Skate Canada have far less claim to Tran than USFS does to Castelli? Tran only skated pairs for Canada for one season, and I can't imagine he was getting funding from Skate Canada while he was skating for Japan.
    The amount of time he spent skating for Canada is irrelevant: once he skated internationally for Canada, it's up to Skate Canada to decide when or if to release him.

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    If Mervin moved to live just over the US border in upstate NY or VT, it is roughly a 60 mile commute to St. Leonard QC, the biggest problem being border crossing in these miserable post 911 days. While a slog, he might be able to work out being a US resident, although not in time for KOR without Congressional help, I would think.
    If he were to cross at one of these two crossing, he could get a NEXUS card, which makes the crossing very quick:

St. Armand-Philipsburg Quebec Highgate Springs Vermont
    Seven days a week
    24 hours a day Seven days a week
    6:30 a.m. to 8 a.m.

Friday
    3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
    St. Bernard-de-Lacolle Quebec Champlain New York
    Seven days a week
    6 a.m. to midnight Seven days a week
    6:00 a.m. to 8 p.m.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Certainly people have commuted further to work, let alone to train; I think it is probably doable.

Heck, I have known several people who commuted further to work, over lousier roads than are involved here.

With the team event, if the team did really well, it might be easier to get the Congressional approval. If the team does not do well, Olympic participation is all moot, of course.

What percent of the year must you live in the US for the purpose of establishing residency?

The following answer was given on
    http://www.eb5investors.com/qa/how-m...n-a-green-card

Dale Schwartz
    Published by Attorney: 10/28/2013

There is no requirement that you spend any certain amount of time in the United States after getting a green card. However, if you are outside the United States for 1 year or longer, you will automatically lose the green card. We advise our clients not to stay outside the United States for more than 6 months at a time. Once you have a green card, you can apply for a reentry permit which allows you to remain outside the United Staets for up to 2 years. You must return to the United States before the 2 years are up, but you can then apply for another reentry permit. Usually they will not give you reentry permits for longer than 4 years total. Let me know if we can assist you.
    So if I were Tran and Castelli, I think I would try to skate for the US, and let the Olympics worry about themselves.

vCash
    From Anya Davidovich will skate with Matej Silecky, for US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post

Oh for the days of my youth, when my husband played hockey 3 nights a week in QC, when all you had to do going through the border going north to Canada was mount your hockey sticks on the ski rack:

Borderguard: "Hockey?"
    Mr. Ski: "Hockey!"

Canadian Guard waves you through.

The US crossing only took a little longer.
    I doubt Tran would want to commute two hours a day (probably even longer with traffic in the Montreal area) when he's training, going to school (engineering, I believe?), and maybe even working part-time.

If they are to skate for the US it sounds to me like they'd be better off training in Boston.

vCash
    Of all the current US Pairs who is likely to compete at Skate Detroit which is in about 6 weeks?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Anyone know anything about Silecky? A quick search indicates he's competed in various U.S. regional and collegiate championships, but I didn't see any other information.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    Of all the current US Pairs who is likely to compete at Skate Detroit which is in about 6 weeks?
    Denney/Frazier have listed Skate Detroit on their schedule: http://figureskatersonline.com/denney-frazier/schedule/

Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    Anyone know anything about Silecky?
    He skated Junior Pairs with AnnaMarie Pearce a few years ago (their 2012 Liberty FS is on YouTube) but they didn't end up competing in qualifying competition, IIRC.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Skaters earn envelope money based on the prior season's results and is paid in the current season to be applied to the current season's expenses. The last money Castelli/Shnapir earned was for the 2012-13 season, which was paid this season. They earned every dime of it, with their results two seasons ago, and they fulfilled every obligation this season. I don't even think a team that stops in the middle of the season should have to pay back envelope money earned the season before or go through the farce of staying together until the last installment is paid for money earned in the past, but even if that's the way the system works, I don't think they should have to pay back a dime. Envelope funding is not a lifetime achievement award, and it's not a developmental award: it's money allocated based on specific results.
    That's a good point, I didn't think about that. Following this line of thinking, Castelli doesn't really owe USFS anything back because she has earned her previous funding based on her results and she has fulfilled her obligations to USFS by competing nationally and internationally the following seasons.

vCash
    No matter who Tran skates for I wish him luck! He is very talented, hard working and a gentleman! Marisa is very lucky!

vCash
    ^^Well apparently something clicked for Mervin and Marissa so they are both lucky. Like many here, I've enjoyed watching both of them perform on the ice, but never thought about the two of them partnering (perhaps because of different country affiliations). So glad there are so many more global partnering-up because it only enriches the sport and brings fs more into the present. The sport has always needed to learn how to gain inspiration and knowledge from the past and meld it into new and different approaches that invigorate and lend excitement and growth for the skating world today.

Very interesting how the whole process of two people clicking or not clicking works. It's about more than physically matching up. Personalities, styles, rhythms as well as ability levels and personal goals are involved. Someone should write a book on the topic:
    To Pair or Not to Pair? Questions Asked and Answered or, Perks of Pairing Well, Despair of Split Decisions

Seemingly Marissa has decided to make a break with Boston (and that can't have been an easy decision -- Carrie Wall was Marissa's coach prior to the teaming with Simon, after which Carrie and Bobbie Martin paired up to coach together).

I wish all the new teams and staying together teams much success on the next stage of their journeys. I am very intrigued to see how things work out for Simon and Dee Dee (they seem to have made a fast and comfortable start), and especially for Marissa and Mervin. Also as well for Aliona and Bruno, and for Dylan and Lubov. Of course two of these new teams must sit out for awhile, but that could also work for them too.

I hope we get unique and interesting choices in music and choreography with all these partner changes. Certainly there should be new influences, inspiration and excitement for the pairs discipline over the next quad.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-06-2014 at 05:57 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Her last competition for ISR was 12 Feb 2014 (Olympics Pairs FS).
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I hope Timothy Le Duc also finds a new partner soon, and one that will stick so they can grow together. It would be great if there was a timeout for having no splits so that good partnerships might have more chance to develop. It's reminiscent of announcements for a new television season, when it's unclear how long new series will last, or if they will even be given a chance to succeed if they don't break well out of the starting gate.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    In the meantime, per the link in this post by fan, Montalbano has a gofundme page to raise $20K to relocate to Ellerton to skate with an unnamed partner to compete for Israel. So all three (Krasnopolski and whoever, Davidovich and Siliecky, and Montalbano and partner) won't be fighting it out for the Israel pairs spot.

vCash
    A skater has a GoFundMe page?

vCash
    In the meantime, per the link in this post by fan, Montalbano has a gofundme page to raise $20K to relocate to Ellerton to skate with an unnamed partner to compete for Israel. So all three (Krasnopolski and whoever, Davidovich and Siliecky, and Montalbano and partner) won't be fighting it out for the Israel pairs spot.
    But another poster said above that Davidovich and Silecky are skating for the US..

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    But another poster said above that Davidovich and Silecky are skating for the US..
    Which is why kwanfan1818 wrote that the three teams won't be fighting for the same spot.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yes: by skating for the US, there *won'*t be three couples vying for the Israeli Pairs spot. Montalbano and partner won't have to worry about competition from Davidovich and Silecky if they skate for the US.

(oops, typing slowly on a phone while danafan posted)

vCash
    Ack, sorry, somehow missed the "won't" part.

vCash
    Montalbano is still skating for Israel so there will still be 2 couples. Not sure if Evgeny's new partner is old enough to compete internationally (right now she's 14).

*oops missed the post above. Sorry

Proud Supporter of Israeli Figure Skating!

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast