Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I believe that Caitlin Fields (age eligible) is still training in Montreal and is looking for a partner in both the US and Canada.

vCash
    Caitlin Fields' birthdate is 9/25/95 so she is ISU Junior age-eligible one more season in 2014-15.

Jessica Pfund and AJ Reiss, 10th in their Senior debut at 2014 Nationals, apparently have split - they are no longer listed in the ISP. He is 22 and she is 16.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Liu/Perini split after Perini's injury. Liu is now training with Brian Johnson (previously with Aya Takai). As Brian Johnson is still age-eligible, they will probably be in the ISP after a monitoring-event

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ….

Jessica Pfund and AJ Reiss, 10th in their Senior debut at 2014 Nationals, apparently have split - they are no longer listed in the ISP. He is 22 and she is 16.
    Oh, Good Lord. This truly is the #1 problem w/ US pairs and I have no opinion on how to fix it. IIRC, Tai Babilonia does ...

vCash
    Pfund and Reiss were competent, but they weren't heading anywhere amazing based on their results last season. I'm never surprised when the last place team from Nationals splits...or close to last.....not every team has the financial and martyr-like ability to toil away for years in obscurity for the cause of the common good or whatever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Pfund and Reiss were competent, but they weren't heading anywhere amazing based on their results last season. I'm never surprised when the last place team from Nationals splits...or close to last.....not every team has the financial and martyr-like ability to toil away for years in obscurity for the cause of the common good or whatever.
    I think the two teams who finished below them were more interesting and have more upward potential anyway.

And the whole US pairs just need to stay together argument is an oversimplification of why we aren't cracking the top 5ish internationally anymore. And I don't see this split as indicative of some sort of tragic, volatile state of US pairs overall. Its like the entire discipline has been lumped in with Denney/Coughlin and Brubaker drama for the past 3 years. Sometimes splits happen and its fine because people just want to move on like Evora. Sometimes splits happen and more successful pairs are crated a la Scimeca/Knierim and Zhang/Bartholomay.

On a semi-related note, with the rumored split of MT/M and the other confirmed splits and retirements, only 6, at absolute most, of the top 10 pairs at the Olympics will be on the GP. This season will be a key opportunity for US pairs with potential to assert themselves and win some GP silver or bronze medals. It will be interesting to see what teams, if any, can make anything of it.
    Last edited by lauren329; 04-28-2014 at 04:16 PM.

vCash
    Has there been any news of Matt Blackmer finding a serious pair partner?

vCash
    I just saw Matt Blackmer's twitter post about starting choreo in ten days, but I don't know what that means. Could he be switching to singles (at least for now)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-n-cry View Post
    I just saw Matt Blackmer's twitter post about starting choreo in ten days, but I don't know what that means. Could he be switching to singles (at least for now)?
    He has a new partner, he just hasn't announced who yet.

vCash
    And in some cases, the split had to happen: David Perini has aged out of Juniors, so it is understandable that Chelsea Liu had to find another partner.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Regarding Leng/LeDuc... I think a big issue was their coaching situation. Inconsistencies in the long program would be attributed to never having done a full long program runthrough. From what I heard, they had requested to do this with their coach and the coach said no. I agree that they looked really great together and were both very consistent. I have seen both of them (separately) skating recently. Leng might be breaking in new skates. If either of them get another partnership, I hope they go somewhere else to train, as fun as it is to sometimes skate on the same ice as them.

Regarding Zaitsev/Stevens... Apparently she had an injury before sectionals and withdrew. She cannot do a double axel or a triple, yet she attempts them over and over and over. Her parents coach her. They have had several skaters with stress/overuse injuries in the last year. Unfortunately, Zaitsev is stuck in that situation. I have not seen Stevens in a very long time. However, I am not usually at the rink when the pairs teams are skating.

I am not friends with any of these skaters and I do not work with their coaches. I happen to skate at the same rink and occasionally see them on the ice. Some of this information is from what I see, some is from what I hear.

vCash
    Inconsistencies in the long program would be attributed to never having done a full long program runthrough. From what I heard, they had requested to do this with their coach and the coach said no.
    WHAT???? What kind of coach tells skaters they can't do a run through? That is just crazy! (And were they told they couldn't do them on their own in practice?)

vCash
    Why the mystery if Matt Blackmer has found a partner? Doesn't anyone know who she is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkles View Post
    Regarding Leng/LeDuc... I think a big issue was their coaching situation. Inconsistencies in the long program would be attributed to never having done a full long program runthrough. From what I heard, they had requested to do this with their coach and the coach said no. I agree that they looked really great together and were both very consistent. I have seen both of them (separately) skating recently. Leng might be breaking in new skates. If either of them get another partnership, I hope they go somewhere else to train, as fun as it is to sometimes skate on the same ice as them.

Regarding Zaitsev/Stevens... Apparently she had an injury before sectionals and withdrew. She cannot do a double axel or a triple, yet she attempts them over and over and over. Her parents coach her. They have had several skaters with stress/overuse injuries in the last year. Unfortunately, Zaitsev is stuck in that situation. I have not seen Stevens in a very long time. However, I am not usually at the rink when the pairs teams are skating.

I am not friends with any of these skaters and I do not work with their coaches. I happen to skate at the same rink and occasionally see them on the ice. Some of this information is from what I see, some is from what I hear.
    My (total hearsay) is that they never do a clean runthrough in training, so it wasn't surprising that they never put them out in competition. I think there were several meetings before they decided to split, and the coaching issue and training strategies were heavily discussed. Perhaps they just didn't think they could make it work or come to an agreement between everyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Why the mystery if Matt Blackmer has found a partner? Doesn't anyone know who she is?
    People do know who he is now skating with but when you are close to skaters then you would be outing yourself and perhaps your connections.

Sometimes it is best to remain vague, sorry.

Keep in mind that there are often reasons why skaters don't rush in to making big announcements.

Many things have to be considered with new partnerships. Sometimes these can be things like who is going to move and sometimes things are more complicated. If issues of citizenship etc are at stake then there could be much to sort out before any announcement is made.

Sometimes skaters just want to concentrate on elements and timing so that they can let their skating do the talking.

Frustrating for people waiting to hear I know, but perhaps better for the pair themselves.

Bring on the early competitions.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkles View Post
    Regarding Leng/LeDuc... I think a big issue was their coaching situation. Inconsistencies in the long program would be attributed to never having done a full long program runthrough. From what I heard, they had requested to do this with their coach and the coach said no. .....
    This is bizarre.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    This is bizarre.
    Well, I assume there is more (another side) to this story. reese posted above: "My (total hearsay) is that they never do a clean runthrough in training..." which sounds like they have done full run throughs.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-29-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Blackmer's new partner is Kaitlin Budd who he skated with before Brittany. Interesting, I'm not that familar with her. I do think their goals are refreshingly realistic. A summer competition, sectionals, maybe an international.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/28/73658790
    Last edited by lauren329; 04-29-2014 at 05:33 PM.

vCash
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/28/73658790

Mystery solved, Matt Blackmer is back with Kaitlin Budd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Well, I assume there is more (another side) to this story. reese posted above: "My (total hearsay) is that they never do a clean runthrough in training..." which sounds like they have done full run throughs.
    But full run through might be defined as one where all the elements were completed.

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast