vCash

Would Zhanna Gromova be a good coach for Tuktamysheva

I find of all the past Russian skaters the one Tuktamysheva is most similar to is probably the great Irina Slutskaya. Clearly Tuktamysheva has to leave Mishin if her career is going to go anywhere from here. There is just no doubt about it at this point. Should she try Gromova who did such a great job with Slutskaya. Gromova was excellent at building up Irina's strengths and either improving or disgusing her known weaknesses. I think she could do the same for Tuktamysheva.

vCash
    the better question is where is Zhanna Gromova now ?

I think she should try with Eteri Tutberidze

vCash
    Anything but Mishin! And yes, why not Gromova? She doesn't have any top level skaters right now so she could focus all of her attention on Tuk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Anything but Mishin! And yes, why not Gromova? She doesn't have any top level skaters right now so she could focus all of her attention on Tuk.
    That is what I was thinking too. Gromova is just waiting for a prospect of some sort to fall into her lap. I hope someone gives her that chance and why not Tuktamysheva. I like her alot but if she is crazy enough to stay stays with Mishin she deserves her career to turn to dog mush and never make it to a World or Olympic event ever again, which is what will happen if she stays with him. The only truly top tier skater I can understand being with Mishin these days is Plushenko out of pure loyalty, and since he is past the point of ever trying to (or it being realistic) to get better.

vCash
    It sounds like a good idea to me, since Gramova does not seem to have any top skaters right now. Liza could get a lot more attention, but doesn't she already have a lady coach that coaches alongside Mishin? - Or is she her choreographer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    It sounds like a good idea to me, since Gramova does not seem to have any top skaters right now. Liza could get a lot more attention, but doesn't she already have a lady coach that coaches alongside Mishin? - Or is she her choreographer?
    I have never figured out who she is or what her role is. She is the only one of Mishin`s pupils I have seen her with though. If she is by chance the choreographer than considering Tuk`s programs this year she needs to go ASAP too though, lol!

One scary thing to give perspective of Tuktamysheva`s current situation though is even had she done 2 squeeky clean programs at Russian Nationals (something she hasnt done in any competition in years) she would have still not made the Olympic team, although she would have made the European team. Julia and Adelina would have still beaten her at Nationals, and that along with their other results would have ensured them as the 2 women, regardless what happened at Europeans. She has to improve greatly again just to have a say in her own destiny to make it out of Russia to the biggest events again, and the depth is only going to increase with skaters like Radianova becoming age eligible and the stockpiling of new women Russians seems to churning out.

vCash
    Well at this point what on earth could be a possible downside?

vCash
    Svetlana Veretennikova now coaches abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I have never figured out who she is or what her role is.
    She was Tuktamysheva's primary coach (or co-coach together with Mishin, she was listed first in her ISU bio anyway).
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-17-2014 at 08:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Well at this point what on earth could be a possible downside?
    I'd think of it another way. If Tuk wants to be competitive with the top Russians again, she needs to make dramatic changes to her skating, not just improve somewhat from where she is. For all that could do, she could drop even further because of the insanity of the Russian ladies' field. If I were Tuk and planning on the next Olympics, I would be very rigorous in my selection of coaches.

Live in Guardian Angel
    vCash
    It's a very good match in my mind! Great idea!

vCash
    This lady is Tatiana Prokofieva, and she is choreographer for the whole group, not a coach.

vCash
    Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. At this point Tuk needs to not only change her skating but her entire schtick--the Slutskaya power puncher isn't a bad model for her. Coaching change to Gromova sounds like a fascinating idea to me, and as somebody already pointed out, a coaching move by Tuk probably has more upside than downside. Doesn't even seem like Mishin is as effective at the backroom power plays as he once was.