View Poll Results: Who Have You Purchased Singles or Albums From On This List?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adam Lambert

27 40.91%
  • Carrie Underwood

29 43.94%
  • Clay Aiken

22 33.33%
  • David Cook

22 33.33%
  • Daughtry

16 24.24%
  • Fantasia

7 10.61%
  • Jennifer Hudson

13 19.70%
  • Jordin Sparks

9 13.64%
  • Kellie Pickler

8 12.12%
  • Kelly Clarkson

48 72.73%
  • Ruben Studdard

6 9.09%
  • Scotty McCreery

2 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    What's the thinking behind believing someone is a hero for going out on the road for 300 days a year to support their children? Isn't it more heroic to get a job at the local grocery store, go home to your kids each and every day and then go to wherever you can and sing and play music? I just don't get how the judges fawn over people who basically abandon their children...
    ITA. This guy chose to have two kids by the age of 20. Now he can suck it up and actually parent them. I think the judges have the attitude they do because it helps them rationalize their own choices to be away from their kids. Keith was the one who was basically saying that this guy needed to be away from his family to support them. Keith is a very wealth man. He could retire today and live well for the rest of his life. But, how many days per year is away from his kids? Does he rationalize it by saying that he needs to make the money to pay for the kids' horses and nanny?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    ITA. This guy chose to have two kids by the age of 20. Now he can suck it up and actually parent them. I think the judges have the attitude they do because it helps them rationalize their own choices to be away from their kids. Keith was the one who was basically saying that this guy needed to be away from his family to support them. Keith is a very wealth man. He could retire today and live well for the rest of his life. But, how many days per year is away from his kids? Does he rationalize it by saying that he needs to make the money to pay for the kids' horses and nanny?
    There could be several possible reasons why Keith choose to be on the road. 1. He needs the money to support his wealthy lifestyle. 2. He loves performing for his fans. 3. He wants a break from his kids. I know some women at work, whose husbands make enough for the entire family choose to work because they want to get away from their kids. Sometimes, raising kids is harder than your dayjob.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    There could be several possible reasons why Keith choose to be on the road. 1. He needs the money to support his wealthy lifestyle. 2. He loves performing for his fans. 3. He wants a break from his kids. I know some women at work, whose husbands make enough for the entire family choose to work because they want to get away from their kids. Sometimes, raising kids is harder than your dayjob.
    Keith doesn't "need" the money. I'm sure artists love performing. And, yes, raising kids is hard work and some people want to get away from their kids. But, being away for 300 days per year is being an absentee parent. It's not the same thing as having a day job. Both that contestant and Keith have obligations to their kids. And those obligations include more than putting food on the table (or a mansion over their head). They include actually parenting their kids.

vCash
    Keith doesn't "need" the money. I'm sure artists love performing. And, yes, raising kids is hard work and some people want to get away from their kids. But, being away for 300 days per year is being an absentee parent.
    So all active deployed military, professional athletes, merchant marines, astronauts, climate researchers, archaeologists, etc. are to be classified as absentee parents? There are many jobs that need to get done that require that people be away for extended periods of time every year. If everyone stayed close to home to parent, we would notice.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Keith doesn't "need" the money. I'm sure artists love performing. And, yes, raising kids is hard work and some people want to get away from their kids. But, being away for 300 days per year is being an absentee parent. It's not the same thing as having a day job. Both that contestant and Keith have obligations to their kids. And those obligations include more than putting food on the table (or a mansion over their head). They include actually parenting their kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    So all active deployed military, professional athletes, merchant marines, astronauts, climate researchers, archaeologists, etc. are to be classified as absentee parents? There are many jobs that need to get done that require that people be away for extended periods of time every year. If everyone stayed close to home to parent, we would notice.
    Good answer. I don't think we need to be judgemental of stranger's life choices. My BIL was a long distance trunk driver who could have taken a local truck driving job & been home every night. He didn't because he loved his job & it made more money.

As for having 2 kids by age 20, what they showed of his background suggests that he lives in a depressed area where that is probably the norm. Anyway, it's not for us to decide if it was a good idea for him to have 2 kids. At least he doesn't appear to be using public funds to support them & he definitely is trying to do all he can to give them a good life. They didn't reveal where the mother of the kids were. I imagine if she had died they would have told us so she maybe she's a druggie or she abandoned them or something that wouldn't play well on TV.

vCash
    Few of those jobs entail being away 300 days a year, and at least they are paying the bills. When a parent is gone over 80% of the year that's being quite absent! Most of these jobs are not comparable to being a traveling musician who doesn't seem to be earning enough to support his family himself.

As for being judgmental, Peter was pointing out that the judges were judging the contestant's decisions in a positive way. He was responding to their judgments and I'm weighing in. (In case you haven't noticed, that's the kind of thing we do on FSU.) Sorry, but I don't think there's anything great about a parent who is gone for such a huge percentage of a kid's young childhood and isn't even able to pay the bills as a result. The guy loves performing, and maybe he doesn't like being around two small kids. I certainly can understand that. But I see nothing about his choices to be lauded.

vCash
    Sorry, but I don't think there's anything great about a parent who is gone for such a huge percentage of a kid's young childhood and isn't even able to pay the bills as a result. The guy loves performing, and maybe he doesn't like being around two small kids. I certainly can understand that. But I see nothing about his choices to be lauded.
    Everyone sees the world differently. Where I work, we have a large number of people who never see their kids awake during the week, and a few with 2nd jobs that limit their time with their kids on the weekends. If I understand what you're saying, it's that Keith has a choice on that.

vCash
    Everyone sees the world differently. Where I work, we have a large number of people who never see their kids awake during the week, and a few with 2nd jobs that limit their time with their kids on the weekends. If I understand what you're saying, it's that Keith has a choice on that.
    Yup, I also see lots of people who are quite absent in their kids' lives, and it's fine. For myself, I didn't see my parents for 3 years growing up and was raised by my grandparents--a quite typical scenario for kids in the 80s in China whose parents studied in the US. I think I turned out okay.

I doubt this contestant expects to be a traveling musician for his kids' entire childhood.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I just finished watching Thursday's episode. My favourite was Tyler Marshall - Proud Mary.

One thing they showed in the sneak previews was group rounds and there was a parent arguing with one of the young women in her daughter's group. That would really piss me off if I was a contestant. If there's someone under the age limit that requires a parent to be with them, I think the parent should be there in a silent capacity. Unless someone is abusing their child, but if a group is arguing over how things should be done, parents should keep their traps shut!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I have watched American Idol in ages, but I too find myself being drawn back to it by Harry Connick, Jr.'s presence. And I like Keith Urban as well. I haven't started watching yet, but I'll be marathoning it at some point. I hope the changes are met with an improvement in ratings.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    One thing they showed in the sneak previews was group rounds and there was a parent arguing with one of the young women in her daughter's group. That would really piss me off if I was a contestant. If there's someone under the age limit that requires a parent to be with them, I think the parent should be there in a silent capacity. Unless someone is abusing their child, but if a group is arguing over how things should be done, parents should keep their traps shut!
    Totally agree! I understand that parents have to be present if the contestant is a minor, but they should be completely BARRED from interfering in anything related to the actual contest. And once that parent starts interfering, their spoiled little brat should be kicked out of the contest as punishment! Oh right, I forgot .... they don't know what punishment is so that wouldn't work, would it. Once that parent interferes, it completely turns me off to that contestant as well and if they end up in the Final 10 (which usually they don't since those kids are usually just not that good) I'll be voting like a tweenager to get that brat voted off!.

vCash
    I wasn't going to watch this season, but I came across it and liked that they seem to be highlighting more strong contestants. Also, enjoy all the judges this season as well!

vCash
    I just finished watching Thursday's episode. My favourite was Tyler Marshall - Proud Mary.
    I liked him.
    However, I hope that he doesn't "oversing" when he shouldn't

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    While we wait for tonight's Hollywood Week episode, how about we do a season two review?

Ruben Studdard has a new album out this week called Unconditional Love. Here's a link to the amazon samples: http://www.amazon.com/Unconditional-...nditional+love

And Clay Aiken is running for congress in North Carolina: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1602649

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I love the new cut round! Clears out some of the dead wood before we even get to Hollywood. Especially since those people would not have made it anyway, just clear them out now.

Still don't know anyone well enough to know their names though, so can't really comment on them. I did like the guy who played keyboard and sang "Say Something" (and on a side note ... maybe someone can explain the meaning of that that song to me because I totally don't get the meaning ... say something I'm breaking up with you ... so the guy is breaking up with her and she won't respond? I don't get the words, and I like to get the words).

And I still hate how they do the Group Rounds! I don't like how they just tell them "go make a group". Because its still the snotty people controlling who will and won't be in their group. They should do some kind of random draw for the groups. Because the little divas who throw their tantrums will still get cut any way. But I admire the guy who was sick and was losing his voice and quit now versus messing up his group. Unlike the little diva who was also sick but instead said 'I won't rehearse and I will decide right before we go if I will sing'. Beyoth. And like how are the others in your group supposed to practice around that? You could still at least be there and do the choreo and practice your parts in your head or something. Totally hope she gets cut.

Now ..... how to deal with the next two weeks and the Olympics. Of course the Olympics wins that fight, but I might not catch up until after the O's are over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    And I still hate how they do the Group Rounds! I don't like how they just tell them "go make a group". Because its still the snotty people controlling who will and won't be in their group. They should do some kind of random draw for the groups.
    They tried assigning groups last year. There was a lot of flak because the chosen ones were clearly assigned with competent group mates and the "could be interesting" people got what was left.

vCash
    I don't remember it that way. I thought it was a really good way to do it. Wasn't it a random draw? And it breaks up the kind of groups like those Austin 4 who decided to make a group months ago & now have a huge advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I don't remember it that way. I thought it was a really good way to do it. Wasn't it a random draw? And it breaks up the kind of groups like those Austin 4 who decided to make a group months ago & now have a huge advantage.
    IIRC, the producers called people up. I didn't get any sense that it was random as it was fairly obvious that they weren't saddling their favorites with any losers and their "good TV" folks all got people who would create drama. I read it as a set up.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    And I still hate how they do the Group Rounds! I don't like how they just tell them "go make a group". Because its still the snotty people controlling who will and won't be in their group. They should do some kind of random draw for the groups. Because the little divas who throw their tantrums will still get cut any way. But I admire the guy who was sick and was losing his voice and quit now versus messing up his group. Unlike the little diva who was also sick but instead said 'I won't rehearse and I will decide right before we go if I will sing'. Beyoth. And like how are the others in your group supposed to practice around that? You could still at least be there and do the choreo and practice your parts in your head or something. Totally hope she gets cut.
    I agree, some people just don't have the personality to go around and beg to be in a group. I would hate that. I think two people were sent homw who really should have been sent though. They were better than the group. I don't really understand group week except to get rid of a bunch of people all at once.

I would be more selective before Hollywood.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast