Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    You dont remember correctly in this case if that is what you believe.
    Because you say so? Uh, no.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    To answer the original question-yes Zhulin has lost his mind.
    But I think that happened a long time ago !.

vCash
    Well, B/S's Birds FD was truly for the birds...so maybe Zhulin knows what he's doing.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Because you say so? Uh, no.
    No, because it is reality and most who watched them over the years are well aware of it. Reality is something you are rarely in tune with so I am not surprised at your confusion.

vCash
    Zhulin made a mistake for changing the music. First program was better. But I prefer the old FD to this one. This is not bad thing for me.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I was really unhappy when they went to Zhulin in the first place. But I'm also unhappy that I was right to be so unhappy.

Its probably good to go to the old FD, the birdshit just didn't work. I don't think they will be penalized for going back and they believe a lot more in the old FD so it should work pretty well for them.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    To answer the original question-yes Zhulin has lost his mind.
    But I think that happened a long time ago !.

vCash
    That is some title for a thread but i don't think he lost his mind just being creative and doesn't follow the rules and pisses of the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I was really unhappy when they went to Zhulin in the first place. But I'm also unhappy that I was right to be so unhappy.

Its probably good to go to the old FD, the birdshit just didn't work. I don't think they will be penalized for going back and they believe a lot more in the old FD so it should work pretty well for them.
    Really, because besides the transgender sailor dance i don't remember anything about them before they went to Zhulin but the last year FD was somehow nice so better this than having TAT yapping,cawing and nagging about the birdies.I don't mind seeing it as EX program with te original music

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Had he been wise enough to scrap his 94 FD he would be an Olympic Gold medalist as a skater, not just a coach today. Although in this case I am not as sure it is as obviously as wise a move as the one he didnt make in 94.
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    "His"? You do realize he had a partner, so I doubt that anything about that program was his decision alone. And IIRC he certainly wasn't the dominant member of that pair.
    I think JJ used 'his' because we are talking about Zhulin right now. Everyone knows about U&Z creating some beautiful programs with their classical lines.

I disagree that he wasn't the dominant member of that team. Unlike some other ice dance couples, U&Z were very equal in their talent and expression. Zhulin wasn't just showcasing his partner. He was passionate, and very involved in the performance. They really were 50-50 like other great ice dance teams. It's a shame that for the 94 Oly FD they picked a style that did not bring out their strengths. Had they selected something similar to what they had in 89-93, they would have won the OGM- but I am digressing. May be he learned from the experience and decided to can the FD that was not working, but I wish he had done it earlier, and not so close to the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Perhap's Zhulin could have made a FD out of their Exhibition number Jay Kay Cosmic Girl I quite like that number !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Are we seeing more program switches by skaters this year than usual? Carolina switched both her programs. Gracie has gone through 3 SPs so far I think. In the past IIRC you may see one skater changing the planned program to something else.
    Ashley is also going back to last year's program. I don't know if that includes Phillip Mills, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by operagirl View Post
    Ashley is also going back to last year's program. I don't know if that includes Phillip Mills, though.
    Is that Samson & Delilah? IIRC Black Swan was one year earlier, right? I liked both of them. I liked Romeo & Juliet also but I can see why she would want to use a program she was successful with.
    Last edited by Vash01; 01-16-2014 at 05:20 AM.

vCash
    Their last season's FD had part of the music changed at Tarasova's orders. Which means the diagonal step sequence is completely off-time to the music. The music is racing, very high tempo and their steps are way way slower (nobody could perform high level steps at that speed which is why you wouldn't pick this piece of music for that point in the program normally). It's just .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Their last season's FD had part of the music changed at Tarasova's orders. Which means the diagonal step sequence is completely off-time to the music. The music is racing, very high tempo and their steps are way way slower (nobody could perform high level steps at that speed which is why you wouldn't pick this piece of music for that point in the program normally). It's just .
    Wait, this change just happened?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I remeber to read an interview here. Shulin told there that it was his own idea to change the music last year. He already made the decision, when Tarasova told him the same about the music, he saw it as a confirmation. So just a confirmation, no order, he ist able to make his own bad decisions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinza View Post
    I remeber to read an interview here. Shulin told there that it was his own idea to change the music last year. He already made the decision, when Tarasova told him the same about the music, he saw it as a confirmation. So just a confirmation, no order, he ist able to make his own bad decisions.
    Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't realise this is how it went down.

By all means, change the music if you want to, but you should then change the choreo so it matches the new music.

YEAH!
    vCash
    While in theory they should score well if they do the elements well in their old FD, I still don't see the point. They have been getting good PCS this year (at least, I keep reading that everyone thinks they were gifted), so it doesn't seem that the judges dislike the material. They just aren't hitting the tech. So the rationale would be that they're more comfortable with last year's choreography which would allow them to perform the elements better... but I don't remember the elements being all that great last year either. Who can forget their almost last place at GPF, losing to I&K in the FD at Euros and to C&L in the FD at Worlds? It's not like they were bringing the house down with that FD.

Honestly I attribute most of their success last year being due to P&B being out of Euros and injured at Worlds.

If they had to bring back an FD, their Faust might have been a better pick. "The Man with the Harmonica" is not exactly "Olympic" music anymore than their original birds music.

vCash
    I do think they look a lot better in last year's costumes though. Although they will probably change their costumes.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Lol well if his change was going to benefit I/k in any way that was just ended! I/k couldn't even win euros so b/s is still number one and more solidly than ever as b/s is the only hope and only option.

vCash
    I don't know if he has lost his mind but I don't really think there is any other choice at this point. The bird dance just wasn't going to cut it. It probably would be laughed out of the building. Maybe not to the level of D/S OD in Vancouver but it wasn't going to be a pleasant experience for them I'm sure. So what can you do at this point? I'm sure he didn't mean to purposefully hurt or stress them or put them in this sitution in the first place but what's done is done. Will he still be their coach next season? I would say not likely.

On the bright side 95% of people watching the Olympics have never seen or don't remember this FD anyways.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast