Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I'm telling you, she alluded to it. She said she couldn't talk about the things "they" did to her but they "hurt" her and took her "womanhood". I remember her saying that. I think she was being manipulative.
    Oh, I know what you're saying is accurate. I'm just saying that this seems to be only a recent allegation from her, not a genuine one that she aired years ago. Yes, I've heard her say the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Oh, I know what you're saying is accurate. I'm just saying that this seems to be only a recent allegation from her, not a genuine one that she aired years ago. Yes, I've heard her say the same thing.
    Oh, I hear you.
    IIRC, it was the late 90s or the early 2000s when the special aired. The Oprah show where she actually says she was raped I did not see; this is the first I heard about that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    BUT...I think she did know about the plan to harm Nancy (maybe not the raw details, but the gist of it). She may or may not have been the mastermind, but I do think she knew ahead of time.
    She wasn't the mastermind. Even Jeff says that he talked her into it.

She grew up being victimized, and I think that she's never learned not to see herself as a victim in life.
    Right. While I definitely think Tonya is responsible for her behavior as an adult, at the same time, it's important to realize anyone that who grew up in her home would be severely messed up. Picture Tonya growing up in Kristi's home. Would Tonya have been a brat? Probably not. She probably would have been polite and well-behaved. Now picture Kristi growing up in Tonya's home. Think she would've been Miss Congeniality? Probably not. She probably would have dropped out of school and ended up with an abusive boyfriend as well.

Anyway, we can hate Tonya's character and some of her actions while still having some sympathy and/or pity for her as a human being.

vCash
    I truly do feel sorry for her.

vCash
    Oh, I hear you.
    IIRC, it was the late 90s or the early 2000s when the special aired.
    Oh, she was claiming this even that far back? Didn't realize that.

vCash
    I truly do feel sorry for her.
    In many ways, I do too. I mean, it's not as if she really got away with anything and is living the life of fun and luxury. No, she's obviously living a miserable existence in a lot of ways, and is reaping what she has sown. So, in general, I see her as a figure to be pitied, not hated. I wouldn't even call her an inherently evil person either. She's just really messed up. It's a real shame that her coach resisted the idea of her being sent to foster care. Maybe she would've had a much better life that way.

Nancy doesn't seem to be particularly bitter toward Tonya either, which I find very admirable.
    Last edited by neptune; 02-24-2014 at 02:04 AM.

vCash
    Nancy seems like a very centered person. She sounds so content to be a wife and mother.

vCash
    Nancy seems like a very centered person.
    That's good to hear.

She sounds so content to be a wife and mother.
    Well, I know that she's said that she had always dreamed of being a mom. Kinda sad who she ended up being a mom with, though. I feel sorry for her in certain ways too. Of course, Nancy entered into the relationship willingly, but still...she could've done a lot better than that. I don't know if she just never got any good advice or did get some but refused it. I wonder if she ever has any regrets?

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Mary missed another one (as did the ESPN one) when Tonya says "high up people in the association" told her to get back with Jeff ..... why didn't anyone say WHO!! TELL ME WHO!! WHAT ARE THEIR NAMES!! I don't believe for a minute anyone in USFS told her to get back with Jeff. If they did .... name names!

vCash
    I thought the documentary was engrossing. I was planning to record it and watch it later in the week (still all about the men's hockey), but I once it started, I watched the entire thing. I have to say that my favourite scene was watching Nancy rehabilitating. I also forgot that she had her own sekret test skate! I also loved the scene where Nancy was working out with her mother. So heartwarming.

I enjoy these NBC reports before the Closing Ceremonies. In SLC, they did one on Dorothy and Peggy. In Vancouver, they did a report on Americans staying in Newfoundland during 9/11. I don't recall what they did in Torino.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    ^^^ Off topic (and since you like the stories), on NBC Saturday afternoon coverage they did a story on a Russian hockey team that was killed in a plane crash in 2011. If that's posted out in internet land, its so worth the 45 minutes to watch it. It was heart wrenching.

Back to Tonya ... as in the ESPN one, Tonya's aggression about having to tell the story and 'I'm done with this, let it go, move on, I'm done with her' ... Tonya dear, no one forced you to do this interview, or ESPN, or Access Hollywood, or Entertainment Tonight, or Inside Edition, or any other of the dozens of shows I've seen you on over the last 20 years talking about it! Do the words "No Comment" exist in your vocabulary? It worked for Nancy for 20 years since this is the first time we have ever really heard a detailed interview from her, and I'm guessing she only agreed to do it since she was doing analyst work for NBC. It worked for Jeff for 20 years since the first time I ever saw an interview with him was that one that was circulating just a few months ago. I'm predicting we'll be hearing from Tonya again for the 25 year telling everyone to "move one, get over it, let it go" once again. And the 30, and the 35, and the 40 ...... and maybe even a few years inbetween.

vCash
    Tonya's karaoke was...unfortunate.
    That's the understatement of the day.

I thought Nancy made a classy impression, and she still looks good for 45. I never realized that her 'corny' remark was not about Disney, it was about wearing her Olympic medal around her neck. I agree with Nancy. Its tacky and pretentious when Olympians wear their medals after the award ceremony.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Back to Tonya ... as in the ESPN one, Tonya's aggression about having to tell the story and 'I'm done with this, let it go, move on, I'm done with her' ... Tonya dear, no one forced you to do this interview, or ESPN, or Access Hollywood, or Entertainment Tonight, or Inside Edition, or any other of the dozens of shows I've seen you on over the last 20 years talking about it!
    What she said specifically was, “Nobody wants to hear this crap anymore, and you know what, I don’t give a damn.” Obviously she does care, because she keeps appearing on these shows. Much of America cares too, because we keep watching.

I keep hoping that time and parenthood will bring her some wisdom, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Ain't no fool like an old fool.
    Last edited by heckles; 02-24-2014 at 02:53 PM.

vCash
    For the record, Nancy was hired on as an analyst after she filmed the documentary. Mary Carillo convinced her that she would get a fair shake in this film, and she finally gave in and agreed to do it. And I'm glad she did, I think it showed people a very different side of her than the one they thought they knew (ie: whiny ice princess). And I'm especially glad Mary pointed out that she was every bit as blue collar as Tonya was; she just had the blessing of a stable, loving family. I thought it was very well done overall, and it was nice to finally hear Nancy tell her side of the story. It has always irritated me how some people treated her injury like a big joke because of the way she reacted to it.

And good ol' Tonya, she certainly has her act down pat ("Which day was that?"). I nearly fell out of my chair laughing where she once again denied Shawn was her bodyguard as she did in the other documentary; however, Mary and team were clever enough to run the 1994 video of her with Shawn behind her as she said this. That 1994 clip was also seen earlier in the film and showed her clearly identifying Shawn as her bodyguard...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Nancy looks good, and happy.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Yeah Nancy does look very happy. She looks pretty good for her age too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    It's all very sad. Is there any skater out there who had a more vile, abusive upbringing? I can't think of one.
    if you say so. She seems to be a typical skating kid with a typical ott skate mom to me. Only, unlike Peggy, Dorothy, Tiffany, Elaine, Lucinda, Jenny etc etc etc she's unwilling and unable to say her mom had her best interests at heart but didn't handle it as well as she could, but that she still loved her. Tonya seems to be first in line to throw the "alcoholic waitress" under the bus for being unworthy to carry the skate guards of the greatest talent the world has ever seen. For someone who claimed to have no interest in playing the game, she sure does play right into usfs cheesy story lines of the immense talent rising out of her family gutter. Rudy Galindo IMHO does a much more honest version of I won't apologize for my poor roots. His parents couldn't even raise him, yet he always calls them supportive, and while admitting his mom suffered from mental illness, you don't see him dismissing her as a "crazy bitch" like Tanya is want to do. Tanya un-bever cleaver childhood is just another "it's everyone's else fault but mine" in along line of excuses IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    ^^^ Off topic (and since you like the stories), on NBC Saturday afternoon coverage they did a story on a Russian hockey team that was killed in a plane crash in 2011. If that's posted out in internet land, its so worth the 45 minutes to watch it. It was heart wrenching.

Back to Tonya ... as in the ESPN one, Tonya's aggression about having to tell the story and 'I'm done with this, let it go, move on, I'm done with her' ... Tonya dear, no one forced you to do this interview, or ESPN, or Access Hollywood, or Entertainment Tonight, or Inside Edition, or any other of the dozens of shows I've seen you on over the last 20 years talking about it! Do the words "No Comment" exist in your vocabulary? It worked for Nancy for 20 years since this is the first time we have ever really heard a detailed interview from her, and I'm guessing she only agreed to do it since she was doing analyst work for NBC. It worked for Jeff for 20 years since the first time I ever saw an interview with him was that one that was circulating just a few months ago. I'm predicting we'll be hearing from Tonya again for the 25 year telling everyone to "move one, get over it, let it go" once again. And the 30, and the 35, and the 40 ...... and maybe even a few years inbetween.
    Thanks for the OT. Too bad I missed this.

vCash
    Peggy had a very difficult childhood as well, they were homeless for a summer, her father was an alcoholic. probably the worst thing for Tonya was the emotional and physical abuse.

I am happy that each of them is married and have families. Nancy in particular is pretty impressive in her outlook, not once biting on the easy remark in the Costas interview, particularly around the "did she plan it?"

And is her daughter too cute or what? Just adorable.

vCash
    Peggy had a very difficult childhood as well, they were homeless for a summer, her father was an alcoholic. probably the worst thing for Tonya was the emotional and physical abuse.
    On Peggy's A&E biography, one of her friends recounted an incident at a restaurant where Peggy's mom slapped her face because she refused to eat a piece of steak or something like that. I might be wrong, but the reason for the slap was the fact that the skating was putting a drain on the family bank account and Peggy's mom didn't want her wasting food. That is how I interpreted it at the time.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast