Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    tonya's the kind of person that gets in bar fights until someone pops her in the head w a bottle
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    All right, Nancy's son looks like a future pommel horse champion for the USA
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Scott Hamilton's reaction to her lace-brake is priceless.

[I'm sorry, Scott. I rank on you for squealing when somebody barely lands a jump. But you are a funny man. Don't always be mr. nicey nice]

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i'm disappointed with mary. she didnt call tonya out on any of her lies. but all of these interviews are like that. maybe she is difficult and keeps getting up to leave if you challenge her.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    That scene backstage before the medal ceremony is when I officially fell in love with Nancy Kerrigan.
    My best friend, who doesn't care a rusty hoot about skating, also fell for Kerrigan then, too. Aha! A real girl beneath the glitter. Loves her still.

vCash
    Scott, though his commentating is annoying, is a true sportsman. He believes that everyone should behave in kind. Tonya did not. And if she doesn't care about this "crap" anymore, why agree to be on the show???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    she thinks this is an apology, i know she thinks it was. but it isnt. and she seems to really hate nancy for whatever warped reason.
    It's easier to blame others and make excuses than accept responsibility.
    Sadly, my mom has always been Team Tonya and blames Nancy for "getting Tonya into trouble"
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    i'm disappointed with mary. she didnt call tonya out on any of her lies. but all of these interviews are like that. maybe she is difficult and keeps getting up to leave if you challenge her.

They need to keep in Tonyas good graces for when they do the 40 year retrospective.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Nancy looks great btw.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    She does.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    nancy's being so nice. i can see tonya watching this and being even more outraged than if she had anything bad to say.

vCash
    Nancy is really pushing for everyone to drop this story and move on. She's probably said it 10 times in 5 minutes with Bob.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    So do we think the death threat against Tonya that allowed her to get a bye to Nationals might have been the first in a series of lies?
    Nope--she lied blatantly to E.M. Swift the year before about not dating a Canadian banker. Then when he told her they had photos, her response, after a long pause, was: "You can't use them."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I remember E!' True Hollywood Story, she alluded to being sexually assaulted as well.
    Well, I think Jeff definitely used to beat her. But rape her? I don't think she was claiming that years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Well, I think Jeff definitely used to beat her. But rape her? I don't think she was claiming that years ago.
    I'm telling you, she alluded to it. She said she couldn't talk about the things "they" did to her but they "hurt" her and took her "womanhood". I remember her saying that. I think she was being manipulative.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    she said jeff and the two henchmen took turns raping her up on a mountain or something so she wouldnt tell. it's very clear in the oprah interview, when she had a book to sell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    It's easier to blame others and make excuses than accept responsibility.
    Exactly. But it seems that was Tonya's coping mechanism, her way of making it through life, her defense mechanism against all the abuse she had received from others. Self-destructing and then blaming others became a way of life for her, and no doubt felt more comfortable and familiar to her than the alternative. At least that way she probably felt in control. Her motto can be summed up in the famous quote from Milton's Paradise Lost: "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven."

It's all very sad. Is there any skater out there who had a more vile, abusive upbringing? I can't think of one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    They need to keep in Tonyas good graces for when they do the 40 year retrospective.
    On that show, maybe Tonya's and Nancy's grandkids will be friends at least.

vCash
    nancy's being so nice.
    I haven't seen this yet, but maybe she's gotten some good coaching on what's appropriate to say and what isn't. Or else has just gotten smarter as she's gotten older. Glad to see her growing in this regard. And at least her plea to drop the whole story sounds sincere and believable, since she doesn't seem to enjoy talking about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Exactly. But it seems that was Tonya's coping mechanism, her way of making it through life, her defense mechanism against all the abuse she had received from others. Self-destructing and then blaming others became a way of life for her, and no doubt felt more comfortable and familiar to her than the alternative. At least that way she probably felt in control. Her motto can be summed up in the famous quote from Milton's Paradise Lost: "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven."

It's all very sad. Is there any skater out there who had a more vile, abusive upbringing? I can't think of one.
    True. Up to a point, I always felt sorry for Tonya. She had it so tough, and had so much to try to overcome and rise above.

BUT...I think she did know about the plan to harm Nancy (maybe not the raw details, but the gist of it). She may or may not have been the mastermind, but I do think she knew ahead of time.

She still seems in denial all these years later; continuing to change or tweek her story, rationalizing her decisions and behavior.

She grew up being victimized, and I think that she's never learned not to see herself as a victim in life.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast