Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    ^ I don't recall where I read it, but I think I read that a reporter had found Shane, but he declined to be interviewed and asked the reporter to not reveal his whereabouts because he has turned his life around, has a job, a family, and doesn't even look much like he did back in 1994, and the people in his circle of life now don't even know that about his past. He did not want the publicity to interfere with his job or family. I don't know why I would think this unless I read it somewhere in the past few months with all the 20 year articles, etc.

vCash
    ^^^A note of that was made during the ESPN documentary. IMO that is the smartest thing anyone involved in that whole fiasco could do. Take responsiblity for and fully own your actions, and then move on and put it behind you and don't let anyone drag you back into the morass.

vCash
    Stant did agree to a brief interview here (see under "The Hit Man Speaks" and also under the photo of Nancy at Sochi), and this is actually one of the more comprehensive of the recent articles about the attack:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...hanging-attack
    Last edited by Yazmeen; 03-05-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Stant did agree to a brief interview here (see under "The Hit Man Speaks" and also under the photo of Nancy at Sochi), and this is actually one of the more comprehensive of the recent articles about the attack:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...hanging-attack
    Thanks for the link. I would also think that if Tonya really hadn't known about the attack beforehand, Stant would come out now and say so. I mean, what would he have to gain by continuing such a lie to this day?

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts
    and the people in his circle of life now don't even know that about his past.
    If that's true, that might be my only concern. It's one thing to distance yourself from your past--it's another thing to try to hide it. Hopefully he isn't trying to do that, because it never works in the long run. I like the fact that he's not trying to get any further publicity, though--lends more credibility to the idea that he's tried to turn his life around.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    ^^ Well, like I said, its just sort of in my mind that I think this and I don't recall where I read or heard it, or why I would think this unless I read it or heard it. Since Karina mentions the ESPN documentary said it, I think that's where I got the thought from.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    There was a bit in the ESPN documentary but I think you got it from an article that was linked in this thread. There were more details in the article than in the documentary which hardly talked about Stant at all.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    ^^^A note of that was made during the ESPN documentary. IMO that is the smartest thing anyone involved in that whole fiasco could do. Take responsiblity for and fully own your actions, and then move on and put it behind you and don't let anyone drag you back into the morass.
    Gillooly was once asked whether he was mad that Tonya got away with it and he didn't. He replied that he was much better off admitting what he did, serving his time and getting on with his life, whereas Tonya was going to spend the rest of her life living the lie. He was right.

This cracked me up from the Shane Stant article linked above:
    Harding and Gillooly's on-again, off-again marriage—they were divorced but living together—broke up permanently in the middle of the investigation as they turned on each other. Frink says the FBI told Gillooly that Harding had implicated him. When the FBI told him that, he turned on her. The FBI investigators then told Harding they had read Gillooly what she had said, and she seemed shocked at what is a standard investigative tactic. She blurted out, "You read it to him? That's not fair!"
    Nobody is ever fair to poor Tonya.
    Last edited by Muffin; 03-06-2014 at 04:02 PM.

vCash
    I had dropped figureskating as "must see tv" after 80 Olympics and Worlds! Was never a fan of Scott, Brian, Katarina, or Debbie for that matter so I pretty much dropped it until "The Whack Heard Around The World!" I latched onto Surya and Urmanov as my new faves and they didn't disappoint; well not too much! They were their own skaters and didn't care what the powers of FS thought and pretty much did their own thing; Alexei skating for the judges, while Bonaly thrilled the audiences! Tonya should have been cheered for bringing FS back to life! The likes of Hamilton and Boitano winning everything in the amateur ranks as well as pros didn't sit well with me and about ran me off again until Evgeni took over the scene! He's amazing and surpassed all expectations!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    Gillooly was once asked whether he was mad that Tonya got away with it and he didn't. He replied that he was much better off admitting what he did, serving his time and getting on with his life, whereas Tonya was going to spend the rest of her life living the lie.
    Or, she could have taken a hybrid approach: denied prior knowledge in 1994 and then largely retreated from public life.
    Last edited by heckles; 03-07-2014 at 12:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Thanks for the link. I would also think that if Tonya really hadn't known about the attack beforehand, Stant would come out now and say so. I mean, what would he have to gain by continuing such a lie to this day?

If that's true, that might be my only concern. It's one thing to distance yourself from your past--it's another thing to try to hide it. Hopefully he isn't trying to do that, because it never works in the long run. I like the fact that he's not trying to get any further publicity, though--lends more credibility to the idea that he's tried to turn his life around.
    In the article, Stant did admit he never met Tonya in person or spoke to her on the phone. The only one he communicated with was Jeff. He didn't know if Tonya was involved or not. If you would of actually read the article, you would have noticed where he said he never had any contact with Tonya at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cmk View Post
    In the article, Stant did admit he never met Tonya in person or spoke to her on the phone. The only one he communicated with was Jeff. He didn't know if Tonya was involved or not.
    I went back to look at the article, and I can't find any of that. It's a long article, so I could have missed it. Could you please post the relevant quotes here?

If you would of actually read the article, you would have noticed where he said he never had any contact with Tonya at all.
    Again, please post the part you're referring to. Thanks.

vCash
    I went back to look at the article, and I can't find any of that. It's a long article, so I could have missed it. Could you please post the relevant quotes here?
    I think you just have to look at his description of his activities to see that Tonya wasn't there and didn't talk to him on the phone.

It's been established in previous documentaries that Stant never had any direct contact with Tonya, so it would be big news if he suddenly said he talked to her on the phone or something.

I think that's the main reason why the FBI couldn't prosecute Tonya - the co-conspirators all dealt with Jeff, and none of them could testify to anything specific about Tonya's activities, even though it was their understanding that she was in on it.

vCash
    I think you just have to look at his description of his activities to see that Tonya wasn't there and didn't talk to him on the phone.
    That conclusion is a bit of a stretch just from reading that article. cmk stated emphatically that the article explicitly mentioned certain things, which I don't see. Maybe he or she is just getting creative and embellished his/her version of the article a bit.

It's been established in previous documentaries that Stant never had any direct contact with Tonya, so it would be big news if he suddenly said he talked to her on the phone or something.
    I can agree with that. Yes, I've seen similar things in previous articles. However, I suspect he probably had some idea of whether Tonya was involved or not.

I think that's the main reason why the FBI couldn't prosecute Tonya - the co-conspirators all dealt with Jeff, and none of them could testify to anything specific about Tonya's activities, even though it was their understanding that she was in on it.
    There's some truth to that, but what about Tonya's bodyguard? Funny how 20 years ago he was her bodyguard, but apparently now he was just a "big, fat idiot." Shawn Eckhardt always said that Tonya was involved, and he's someone who would've known. He obviously had some interaction with her. I doubt he would have continued saying that if he knew all along that she had never been involved.

On a different note, it's interesting that Nancy is still implying she thought the judging was unfair. Specifically, she said that her program had "more content" than Oksana's. Well, I think she meant, "I had a triple-triple, but Oksana didn't." So, in terms of jumps, yes, she had more difficulty. But apart from the triple-triple, how else did that weak, insipid, front-loaded program have "more content"?? Inquiring minds want to know.

And as for Evy Scotvold, how do you throw a lamp "gently" (or whatever word he used) across the room?

vCash
    But apart from the triple-triple, how else did that weak, insipid, front-loaded program have "more content"?? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Perhaps Nancy was referring to standing mostly still at center ice and waving her arms. She did that three times, Oksana only did it two. Plus, Nancy's arm waving was done with a serious face; it showed maturity. Since the tiebreaker was one-tenth of a point on artistry, I think it was Oksana's sassy faces and shaking her rear end like a bunny that put her over the top.

Seriously though, Nancy's correct that she had more jump content. Each of them wound up with 5 triple jumps in their program; none of Oksana's triples were done in combination, whereas Nancy did a triple-triple and a triple-double. They each wound up with a stand-alone double axel and an unintentional stand-alone double jump - but Nancy's double jump, the flip, was more difficult than Oksana's double toe. Oksana did have an additional double axel that was done in combination, however she flutzed egregiously, her flip was landed solidly on two feet and that double toe at the very end wasn't even remotely rotated, so Nancy still has the edge.

vCash
    Perhaps Nancy was referring to standing mostly still at center ice and waving her arms. She did that three times, Oksana only did it two. Plus, Nancy's arm waving was done with a serious face; it showed maturity.

Seriously though, Nancy's correct that she had more jump content.
    But she didn't say "more jump content." She just said "more content," which implies that she thinks jumping is all there is. Maybe that's why she front-loaded her program.

Each of them wound up with 5 triple jumps in their program; none of Oksana's triples were done in combination, whereas Nancy did a triple-triple and a triple-double. They each wound up with a stand-alone double axel and an unintentional stand-alone double jump - but Nancy's double jump, the flip, was more difficult than Oksana's double toe. Oksana did have an additional double axel that was done in combination, however she flutzed egregiously, her flip was landed solidly on two feet and that double toe at the very end wasn't even remotely rotated, so Nancy still has the edge.
    Good analysis. In terms of jumps overall, certainly Nancy had the edge. But as the following article points out:

The technical merit of a skater's performance should be judged on more than a simple checklist of jumps, Lindgren said...."Most of the journalists, unfortunately, but also the judges [over]emphasize jumps. We want to see good programs...."

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/27/sp...-the-gold.html

Incidentally, I get so tired of this "Oksana won by one-tenth of a point from one judge!" nonsense we always hear. No, she won 5 judges to 4--any one of them could have gone the other way.

vCash
    Apparently the ESPN documentary is now up on YouTube as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUdW6x5rUEQ

Speaking of YT, I watched Chen Lu's and Yuka Sato's LPs from Lillehammer. I think I would have placed Yuka first in the LP and Chen second. Nancy and Oksana would have been fighting for third. Yuka and Chen had better jumping than Oksana, better programs than both Oksana and Nancy, better non-jump content and speed than Nancy, and much better presentation than Nancy. In addition, Yuka landed a triple lutz, a triple flip, and *two* triple loops. She also landed a 6th triple, a salchow, which unfortunately wouldn't count, because it wasn't in combination.

My scores would be something like:

Yuka

Chen
    5.8 (she touched her hand to the ice on her final jump)

Oksana

Nancy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post

There's some truth to that, but what about Tonya's bodyguard? Funny how 20 years ago he was her bodyguard, but apparently now he was just a "big, fat idiot." Shawn Eckhardt always said that Tonya was involved, and he's someone who would've known. He obviously had some interaction with her. I doubt he would have continued saying that if he knew all along that she had never been involved.
    The "big, fat idiot" part made me lose sympathy for Tonya. Shawn Eckhardt is dead -- he died of natural causes in 2008. But he changed his name, and led a quiet life away from the press. No matter what he was to Tonya in 1993, she shouldn't be calling him a "big, fat idiot" when he's no longer here to defend himself.

It makes her sound unkind, spiteful, just mean.

vCash
    Shawn Eckhardt is dead -- he died of natural causes in 2008. But he changed his name, and led a quiet life away from the press. No matter what he was to Tonya in 1993, she shouldn't be calling him a "big, fat idiot" when he's no longer here to defend himself.
    Thank you for confirming this. I had heard it earlier.

Tonya really has no idea of civilized behavior.
    Just "beyond the pale".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    The "big, fat idiot" part made me lose sympathy for Tonya. Shawn Eckhardt is dead -- he died of natural causes in 2008. But he changed his name, and led a quiet life away from the press.
    Well, he participated in another assault and was sentenced to 3 years' probation in 2001.

No matter what he was to Tonya in 1993, she shouldn't be calling him a "big, fat idiot" when he's no longer here to defend himself.
    I agree. I have sympathy for the "thugs" involved too. They obviously were very messed up, but at least Stant appears to be on the right track.

Incidentally, one reason I don't think Tonya was the mastermind is that the crime had male written all over it IMO. Women don't commit crimes as often as men, but when they do, they're usually not violent ones. If a woman is going to kill someone, she's more likely to go for something like poison. Although Tonya is a tomboy, I still don't think she would've thought of attacking Nancy on her own. Instead of attacking Nancy physically, if Tonya were coming up with a plot, I think she'd have been more likely to go for attacking Nancy's reputation. You know, spreading vicious rumors about her or hiring a photographer to catch Nancy and Jerry together--or something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Tonya really has no idea of civilized behavior.
    Just "beyond the pale".
    If you think that's bad, wait till you read this:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...5&slug=1895374

Sumners saw Harding's lack of compassion during Flowers' painful death from bone cancer.

"Tonya has no regard for people," said Sumners, who considered Flowers her second mother. "She had no respect for Barbara's feelings. When Barbara was in all of that pain, Tonya never showed any feeling for her. She never showed any compassion.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast