Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I watched the rerun and didn't catch that they had actors doing the announcer voiceovers on the skating clips of Tonya the first time (I paid attention after reading that above). That was odd. ABC/ESPN broadcast all those events so why couldn't a documentary created by ESPN (which is owned by ABC, right?) use the audio coverage? Listening to it the second time, it was weird.

And watching it again just makes me shake my head even more. Especially when you closely watch Tonya in those old news clips knowing everything that we know today that we didn't know then. And damn it Connie Chung didn't hit the nail on the head when she said Tonya was like a seasoned politician during interviews, because she totally was.

vCash
    I watched the rerun yesterday and was just amazed at Tonya. She seems to have no idea why she got any punishment (even if she only covered up that's still a crime) and why she didn't make money off of the Olympics. I really didn't have time to watch this, but it kind of was like watching an accident unfold. Even though you know the ending is not going to be good you can't take your eyes off the scene. I kept waiting for more current interviews with her because that's what I found most bizarre.

I understand she had a rough childhood, but at some point you have to quit blaming your parents for who you are and realize that at this point it's YOUR decisions that make you who you are. She seems to think we should believe she did nothing wrong and was punished just for not fitting the mold. Umm.. I don't think the charge of interfering with an investigation had much to do with her "image" not being princess. My experience has been that compared to a lot of folks a prosecutor sees she probably had a good image which may have even helped

vCash
    I feel the statement Tonya made no money off of the incident isn't quite true. She was able to sell the sex tape, competed in a few pro events, sold interviews, got money from boxing for a time (including the televised match with Paula Jones) and a few other things. She didn't make large money in comparison to the big-time pro skaters of the skating boom, but she made more than she would have, had she simply gone to the '94 Olympics and placed 8th without the scandal. She wasn't going to be SOI or USFS pro-am material, either way.

vCash
    The other thing I will say is her coaches should be VERY ashamed of themselves. If they knew she was being abused and didn't call the proper authorities only because "she won't be able to skate" that's not a good excuse. Sounded more like they were looking out for themselves then their student. Maybe if her life had been changed it would not have included skating, but it might have turned out better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    The other thing I will say is her coaches should be VERY ashamed of themselves. If they knew she was being abused and didn't call the proper authorities only because "she won't be able to skate" that's not a good excuse. Sounded more like they were looking out for themselves then their student.

That is a great point. I taped this last week and just started watching it last night, but I've already reached Rawlinson's "You can't call Child Protective Services!" quote. The only extenuation I might offer is that maybe her coaches thought calling CPS wouldn't have really done any good anyway--sometimes governmental agencies can just make your life worse. But you've got to have a better excuse than simply "Tonya won't be allowed to skate!"

Incidentally, because of a silly basketball game, I missed the last 10 minutes or so of the documentary, since it ran over. Did anything interesting happen those last 10 minutes?

Maybe if her life had been changed it would not have included skating, but it might have turned out better.
    Another great point. I was also disturbed by Rawlinson's quote "Skating is Tonya's ticket out of the gutter!" I think her coaches may have led her to believe that skating was her salvation and that winning the OGM was her only road to success and happiness. If Tonya saw her whole life as "OGM or bust," then that would explain even more why it appears she was willing to sacrifice Kerrigan in pursuit of her dream. Instead, the message she should have been given is: "Tonya, you're great at skating. But there's so much more to you than that. We wish you a great skating career, of course, but there are many roads to happiness. Whatever you do, stay true to yourself and treat others with respect and kindness." Of course, that might be expecting a bit too much from her coaches, but then again, if they were basically parental substitutes anyway, then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    [Tonya] made more than she would have, had she simply gone to the '94 Olympics and placed 8th without the scandal. She wasn't going to be SOI or USFS pro-am material, either way.
    She definitely could've had a decent pro career without the scandal, if she had applied herself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    I feel the statement Tonya made no money off of the incident isn't quite true. She was able to sell the sex tape, competed in a few pro events, sold interviews, got money from boxing for a time (including the televised match with Paula Jones) and a few other things. She didn't make large money in comparison to the big-time pro skaters of the skating boom, but she made more than she would have, had she simply gone to the '94 Olympics and placed 8th without the scandal. She wasn't going to be SOI or USFS pro-am material, either way.
    Having an olympic medal or even being entertaining was not requisite for having a successful pro career. Gary Beacom never medalled at Worlds and neither did Hough and Ladret or Annenko and Sretenski. And Josef Sabovcik's Springsteen schtik was hardly so unique or entertaining as to merit him consistently getting invites over guys like Barna and Fadeev, who had similar eligible careers. If Tonya had played nice with say Scott or IMG or Tom Collins, she could have gotten more than a handful of pro events and a regular spot on COI at least.

vCash
    OK, folks, now we've got a bit of expert analysis of Tonya's truthfulness or lack thereof, hot off the presses!

http://www.statementanalysis.com/tonya-harding/

In January 2014, ESPN Films did a documentary entitled "The Price of Gold." The film revisited the 20th anniversary of the assault on figure skater Nancy Kerrigan....On January 11, 1994, Tonya Harding gave a statement to the press in which she said, "I don't know for sure anything about what's going on at all." One thing to remember when analyzing a statement is that the shortest sentence is the best sentence; extra words give us extra information. We could shorten Harding's statement to say, "I don't know what's going on." That is a good statement. However, Harding qualified her statement by saying, "I don't know for sure." She was telling the whole world she knew something about the attack....
    Read on for more analysis.

vCash
    Tonya also appeared on Access Hollywood today. You can watch some of the vids here:

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/lat.../3093068916001

Except for the fact that she's noticeably out of shape, she actually looks pretty good IMO, especially her hair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    One thing that did actually make me snicker was when they were talking about the papers that were found in the dumpster behind the restaurant. I'm paraphrasing since I don't remember the exact words, but Tonya says something to the affect of 'they tested the handwriting and it DIDN'T match mine!'. Cue to the Prosecutor dude who says 'we tested the handwriting and it matched Tonya's'. Funny piece of editing there.

Back in the day (and pre-internet for me so I only relied on watching the nightly newscast stories), I wanted so badly to believe Tonya did not have anything to do with it because I was a huge fan of her skating and I was always rooting for her to win against Kristi and Nancy. But the more she just goes on and on and contradicts the facts (and even her own stories) .... sigh.
    She changed the story on "Access Hollywood." Now she says her handwriting was at the bottom of the enveolope, but "Not the parts that had to do with the attack. Good grief, how stupid does she think people are????
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    She changed the story on "Access Hollywood." Now she says her handwriting was at the bottom of the enveolope, but "Not the parts that had to do with the attack. Good grief, how stupid does she think people are????
    That is definitely bizarre--at least she deserves partial credit for creativity. Tonya probably needs to get Lying for Dummies. I mean, if you're going to all that trouble of being deceptive, at least you should try to be pretty good at it.

Also, check out this analysis of Tonya's interview by a body-language expert. It's at the same link I posted yesterday, but I think this video is new today:

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/vid.../3097890138001

vCash
    I think part of the issue is she doesn't really prepare for these interviews, she has no "filters" and just says whatever comes into her head at that moment. I imagine that she is clueless that she contradicts herself.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I think part of the issue is she doesn't really prepare for these interviews, she has no "filters" and just says whatever comes into her head at that moment. I imagine that she is clueless that she contradicts herself.
    I think you're right. So not only did she not apply herself to her skating, she doesn't really apply herself to lying either.

Considering how consistently she seems to come up with "new" material in interviews, perhaps a fitting title for a biography of Tonya would be:

Oops, I Did It Again!!

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    As stupid as she is. Her lack of self-knowledge and ability to lie, to others, but most importantly, to herself, is astounding.

I watched the rerun last night, it is so crazy to be reminded of all of this, it was pretty mindblowing when it all was happening.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    This documentary is possibly being rebroadcast on Sunday, but it's hard to know for sure. If you click on the UPCOMING SCHEDULE link on the following page (scroll down a bit):

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=thepriceofgold

then you will see "The Price of Gold" listed for 6 p.m. on Sunday night on ESPN. But then if you go to ESPN's detailed listing for 6 p.m. on Sunday night, you'll find: "30 For 30: One Night IN Vegas presented by Cadillac."

Is it normal for ESPN to have contradictory listings?

vCash
    Yes, especially for the specials like 30 for 30. I've missed some I wanted to see when only following my on-screen listing when they said it would be one show, but it turned out to be another.

vCash
    Neptune, thank you for that link.

I also noticed that on the top of the listing it says "All films available on WatchESPN." So for those of you who can get WatchESPN, you are not tied to a specific broadcast time.

vCash
    Yes, especially for the specials like 30 for 30. I've missed some I wanted to see when only following my on-screen listing when they said it would be one show, but it turned out to be another.
    OK, thanks. You'd think ESPN would get its act together, though. So, I guess at this point we can only guess what will air tomorrow at 6 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by momnatur View Post
    Neptune, thank you for that link.
    No problem--glad it helps!

So for those of you who can get WatchESPN, you are not tied to a specific broadcast time.
    I don't think I can get that, but that is cool for those who have the option.

Last night, I was watching what I taped of the program, and it was amusing to hear Jerry Solomon say that Nancy had the looks, grace, charisma, etc. When I heard charisma, I was thinking, "That's pretty funny!" I wonder how Nancy felt about Jerry giving an interview to ESPN when she refused? In fact, I also wonder how many times Nancy has wished that she had held out for someone else instead of settling for such an opportunist.

Incidentally, does anyone know when the NBC special on Tonya and Nancy is supposed to air?

vCash
    The only thing I've seen about when the NBC story will air is that it will be "during the Olympics", which I assume means at some point during NBC's two week coverage. I wish they would be more specific.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    This documentary is possibly being rebroadcast on Sunday, but it's hard to know for sure. If you click on the UPCOMING SCHEDULE link on the following page (scroll down a bit):

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=thepriceofgold

then you will see "The Price of Gold" listed for 6 p.m. on Sunday night on ESPN. But then if you go to ESPN's detailed listing for 6 p.m. on Sunday night, you'll find: "30 For 30: One Night IN Vegas presented by Cadillac."

Is it normal for ESPN to have contradictory listings?
    Good luck. The first time I set it on the DVR, that is not the story that was there when I went to watch it. The second time, about a week later, they showed the correct one.

vCash
    The only thing I've seen about when the NBC story will air is that it will be "during the Olympics", which I assume means at some point during NBC's two week coverage. I wish they would be more specific.
    Oh, they're trying to bait viewers, I guess? Well, they'll have to say something specific eventually, or else their plan will backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    Good luck. The first time I set it on the DVR, that is not the story that was there when I went to watch it. The second time, about a week later, they showed the correct one.
    How does this goofball company make any money?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast