Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

ESPN docum on Tonya-Nancy: 20 Years After on Thurs, Jan 16

I know that this was mentioned on the GSD forum (Tonya-Nancy 20th anniv thread) but I did not see it here. New documentary on the 1994 Tonya-Nancy saga: "The Price of Gold." Part of the 30 for 30 series, which previously aired the Katarina Witt doc last year. First scheduled airing will be this Thursday, Jan 16, 9pm EST, on ESPN.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...-20-years-ago/

With all of the post-Nationals chatter, I didn't want folks to miss this.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-15-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks, I found it and autotuned it! It's titled "30 for 30" if you're looking at the schedule with DirecTV. (channel 206) 8 p.m. central.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    *bump*

It's tonight at 9pm, EST. IMPORTANT: It will be a 90-minute documentary...not 60 minutes, like the Katarina doc in this series. Set your DVR accordingly.

vCash
    Thanks for the heads up. I had forgotten it was airing tonight.

vCash
    Damn basketball game
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    tonya's heh is fabulously wrong
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Nevermind. 70 minutes into the documentary and they finally got around to the evidence.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    dear god, poor dear has lost the plot

how dare nancy be rude to her
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Anyone else notice how they mentioned twice that nationals are Olympic trials and the podium goes to the Olympics?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Anyone else notice how they mentioned twice that nationals are Olympic trials and the podium goes to the Olympics?
    yes! so timely

vCash
    Tonya Harding is trending on Twitter. That's something you don't see every day.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    dear god, poor dear has lost the plot

how dare nancy be rude to her
    I noticed that too! Also the bit about Nancy's reaction to Oksana's crying in Lillehammer. Tonya on Nancy as she awaits Oksana to appear for the medals: "Shut up! Nobody wants to hear your whining!" This would be a classic clip if someone knows how to 'isolate' and put it up on YouTube. Mamma mia!

Also very interesting:
    Scott H and Connie Chung (CBS reporter at the time) admitted that CBS was "devastated" that the Olympic results did not turn out to be as planned & that Oksana won. I don't ever recall CBS ever saying this so clearly, even though all of us assumed that this was the case.

Also, I noticed that, in the clips of Tonya's programs at various Nationals & other events telecast by ABC (SkAmerica91, Nats 91, 92 and 94, etc.) actors voiced-over the words of commentators Dick Button & Peggy Fleming. The picture on the screen was clear as a bell but the sound was different. I wonder if Dick and Peggy refused to give the OK to use their voices in this documentary? (Yet, at one point, Julie Moran was seen AND heard...and backstage interviewer Jimmie Roberts was also seen and heard).
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-17-2014 at 02:01 PM.

vCash
    And THANK YOU to Paul Wylie for stating that Nancy's technical content was higher than Oksana's. Too bad that the "Eastern Block" countries plus IIRC China gave Oksana higher tech marks than she deserved and lowballed Nancy's clean 3-lutz and 3-3 combo. The only other person I've ever seen state the obvious was Christine Brennan in one of her books (not Edge of Glory, the other one ... dah! can't remember the title!).

Also loved him for saying flat-out that Tonya deserved to be banned from the sport. Now can we PLEASE, PLEASE have HIM in the broadcast booth for televised skating??????

Tonya STFU already!!! GET OVER IT????!!!!!! Who the feck is SHE to tell Nancy to stop whining over the OSM??? The fact that Nancy refused to take part in the documentary tells me she is very much over it, and probably doesn't give her silver medal much, if any, thought these days. Tonya is the one 20 years later, who is still whining over how she was treated by Nancy, USAFA, the press, et. al.

vCash
    And THANK YOU to Paul Wylie for stating that Nancy's technical content was higher than Oksana's. Too bad that the "Eastern Block" countries plus IIRC China gave Oksana higher tech marks than she deserved and lowballed Nancy's clean 3-lutz and 3-3 combo.

Also loved him for saying flat-out that Tonya deserved to be banned from the sport.
    This!

It was interesting that her "childhood friend" said that Tonya had always avoided taking responsibility for her actions; which is still the case.

Nancy can't be blamed for refusing to be interviewed.
    However, that made the program more "All About Tonya" and her "ruined" life than it should have been.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure Nancy refused to participate because she'll be doing NBC's documentary.

I haven't seen this yet (don't think I can, honestly), but I've read stories about it, and the only person I would have loved to hear from is Diane Rawlinson. The director mentioned she won't talk to anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brunette View Post
    I haven't seen this yet (don't think I can, honestly), but I've read stories about it, and the only person I would have loved to hear from is Diane Rawlinson. The director mentioned she won't talk to anyone.
    Can you blame her? It must be hard to deal with the fact that she was one of Tonya's staunchest allies and supporters during her skating career, and probably did her best to encourage Tonya to improve her over-all presentation as a person in the rest of her life, not just on the ice as a skater, and this is how it all turned out. And did Rawlinson have any other notable skaters other than Tonya or is she the only one this coach will be remembered for (unlike someone like Frank Carroll, for whom the likes of Fratianne, Kwan and Lysacek can minimise the wasted talent that was Bowman)?

vCash
    I can't blame Rawlinson either, though I suppose I'm curious in wanting to hear from someone whose sole star protégé turned out to be a hot mess, despite what I assume are valiant efforts. Did she feel betrayed? Frustrated? Was she simply not cut out for coaching a life (in addition with the athlete that went with it)? Does she still have any sympathy for Tonya?

I guess I'm craving a different angle to this mess, since I'm sick of the same old that's been trotted out all these years by the same parties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brunette View Post
    I'm pretty sure Nancy refused to participate because she'll be doing NBC's documentary.

So there will be yet another documentary on this? During the NBC coverage of the Games? Thanks for the heads up, The Brunette.

Dody Teachman, another Tonya coach, was interviewed (and looks fantastic, by the way). Perhaps another reason why Rawlison was not interviewed is that her husband was one of Tonya's lawyers? They're probably all sick and tired of this event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    US Nationals has not been an Olympic Trial event since the early 1990s. ESPN should do their home work.
    Morry Stillwell

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    One thing that did actually make me snicker was when they were talking about the papers that were found in the dumpster behind the restaurant. I'm paraphrasing since I don't remember the exact words, but Tonya says something to the affect of 'they tested the handwriting and it DIDN'T match mine!'. Cue to the Prosecutor dude who says 'we tested the handwriting and it matched Tonya's'. Funny piece of editing there.

Back in the day (and pre-internet for me so I only relied on watching the nightly newscast stories), I wanted so badly to believe Tonya did not have anything to do with it because I was a huge fan of her skating and I was always rooting for her to win against Kristi and Nancy. But the more she just goes on and on and contradicts the facts (and even her own stories) .... sigh.
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 01-19-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast