Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I know this might be wrong but how about we talk about our new Ladies champion instead of all this drama? It's over and done with so how about we support the team that was chosen? I for one have a headache from reading all these threads about what should be done and who's to blame etc etc. I think we have a interesting team with one veteran one youngster and a champion who's a bit of both.
    I'm sad for Mirai and I think she would have been a wonderful asset to the team. But, I'm also very excited about the team we do have, I hope they all in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    I can't believe some of these posts. Evidently, the decisions that USFS has made over the past week have broken many, many hearts...but attacking other skaters because your favorite didn't make the team is inane. I've always been behind Mirai, and I was so proud of her to pull out all the stops at Nationals. I was also so sad she did not make the team...but that doesn't mean Ashley deserves this much hate...it's beyond criticism, it's hate.

Let's start with Ashley hugging Christina after she bombed her free skate. That was just human compassion. I've never seen Gao un-composed, and to see that girl sobbing was heart breaking. All the while, Ashley, who's worrying about even cracking the top three standings at that point, manages to muster the solidarity to give Christina a hug. That was true and honest, and does not deserve unfounded scrutiny of the likes of "she was playing up her little nice act" This is figure skating, not House of Cards.

Ashley did her best to give a good face the whole week...because she is a public figure. She's the top ranked US Athlete, an ambassador for multiple brands, so yes, it's her job to be open and communicate with the press, no matter her state of mind. She doesn't have the luxury of doing otherwise. She cracked when she could (i.e. Kiss and Cry post-FP ), and held up pretty well after that.

Follow any of Ashley's interviews, talks, whatever (see: TSL Interview), she's upfront, real, and honest, which is so refreshing in this world of pageantry (un-named other skater: "I believe in being my own role model" ). Everyone has a right to be upset about a result, but don't attack her, the person. It's small.
    Thank you for this post. The hate that is being directed at her is really unfair. I was hoping for a Gracie, Ashley, Mirai team and was sad that it didn't happen but that is not Ashley's fault. Regardless of the reason USFSA had for naming the team they did, they are the most informed to make this decision and we should stand by it. I was at the practices and the top 4 were all skating very well but Mirai was a bit weaker and less conditioned than the other 3 and I'm sure that played a role in the decision. Also, Mirai skated her best and topped out at 190 pts. Ashley's seasons best is higher than that and she wasn't even clean. Ashley earned that spot with her solid skating the last 3 years. It may not have been perfect or World medal worthy but it is more than Mirai accomplished.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    Let's start with Ashley hugging Christina after she bombed her free skate. That was just human compassion. I've never seen Gao un-composed, and to see that girl sobbing was heart breaking. All the while, Ashley, who's worrying about even cracking the top three standings at that point, manages to muster the solidarity to give Christina a hug. That was true and honest, and does not deserve unfounded scrutiny of the likes of "she was playing up her little nice act" This is figure skating, not House of Cards.
    Yeah, Ashley seems like a motherly type. I remember after her first Nationals win she was comforting Agnes, who was crushed at having tanked her own freeskate. That happened backstage but was caught on camera. I actually thought hugging Christina may have taken her out of her own mental game a little bit - I mean, that happened only minutes before starting her own freeskate.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Ashley's hair reminded me of a librarian. Not every sexy at all.

vCash
    Oh Aftershocks, you have brought me literally to tears.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    I was at the practices and the top 4 were all skating very well but Mirai was a bit weaker and less conditioned than the other 3 and I'm sure that played a role in the decision. Also, Mirai skated her best and topped out at 190 pts. Ashley's seasons best is higher than that and she wasn't even clean. Ashley earned that spot with her solid skating the last 3 years. It may not have been perfect or World medal worthy but it is more than Mirai accomplished.
    That's strange, I was at the pratices also. Mirai was having jump problems on Wed, but from Thursday throughl Sat, she, Gold and Polina were all skating strong. It was Wagner who was having jump problems all week, and it continued in both of her performances. Neither Wagner nor Nagasu did complete run throughs from what I remember.

Wagner had multiple falls at last years GPF, at last years nationals and again this year. Not all solid skating.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post

Wagner had multiple falls at last years GPF, at last years nationals and again this year. Not all solid skating.
    And yet she medalled there and was a lot more successful than any other US lady, and certainly more successful in terms of placements and wins for the last few seasons. That just shows you that even with flawed programs, Ashley is appreciated by the ISU judges. Here's to flawless performances in Sochi!

What I recall reading about ladies' practices is that Ashley was landing her edge jumps and wincing in pain and Mirai was URing. Gracie Gold looked solid aside from putting a hand down either on a lutz or a flip. Polina marked her program without jumps.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Jay Leno just announced Gracie will be on his show later this week, not sure which night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    How would she know? She hasn't been to an Olympics.
    Maybe it's about the pressure she puts onto her herself? She could feel that Nationals are more of a trial than any other competition and could have a different thinking about the Olympics. She could be relieved now to have made the team and be relaxed and happy. Even if the outside pressure is higher now, as long as she herself is viewing the Olympics as less pressure she could have an easier time skating there. Her personal view and inner perception can make a huge difference.

Guess only time will tell if she was right though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Jay Leno just announced Gracie will be on his show later this week, not sure which night.
    Thursday night.

O-

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am guessing that she was haunted by what happened 4 years ago at Nats. Hopefully, with that behind her, she will open herself up to a great Olympic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Thursday night.

O-
    Thanks!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Thursday night.

O-
    I will be watching the show!!

vCash
    According to The Skating Lesson, Ashley is returning to her Sampson and Delilah program. Even though I liked Romeo and Juliet, I'm glad she's going with something she knows works and feels comfortable with. Black Swan would have been more desirable, but probably not practical since it would have had to be reworked a lot more. I hope that she feels more confident with S&D.

ETA: Just noticed that it's being discussed a lot in the Ashley Wagner thread. Glad to see that most feel it's a good decision.
    Last edited by RockTheTassel; 01-15-2014 at 07:34 AM.

vCash
    It's almost like Ashley and Gracie switched bodies last week at Nationals. Gracie was the one cool and calm with the eye of the tiger and Ashley was the one nervous.

vCash
    They might switch back in a few weeks. The reigning US champion in singles hardly ever seems to be the top American at the Olympics anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    ...Regardless of the reason USFSA had for naming the team they did, they are the most informed to make this decision and we should stand by it. ...
    'Cause we're sheeple? 'Cause the USFSA always makes good, consistent decisions? "My USFSA, right or wrong." Maybe Lee Greenwood can rewrite Proud to be an American for figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    'Cause we're sheeple? 'Cause the USFSA always makes good, consistent decisions? "My USFSA, right or wrong." Maybe Lee Greenwood can rewrite Proud to be an American for figure skating.
    Hah, good one!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So what is your plan? A protest? A campaign? I hate to tell you but the USFSA runs this show and it's not a democratic process.

The team will stay what it is. I am going to support them.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I was thinking maybe because: 1) We are all actually casual fans, not judges and not the USFS officials who have to determine the best team, 2) There are enough solid facts on the table to support their decision (and probably some to support 1 or 2 other different ones), 3) Because USFS isn't a country 'governed by the people' but essentially functions like a corporation and has the inside knowledge about what is best for their 'corporation'. (see my post in a different thread, sorry can't remember which regarding looking at the selection as an investment in a portfolio of stocks -about balancing potential for performance and mitigating risk), and 4) Because the ladies are now on the team, they didn't make the selections, and they deserve some support so they can enjoy their potentially once in a lifetime experience....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zoe111 View Post
    4) Because the ladies are now on the team, they didn't make the selections, and they deserve some support so they can enjoy their potentially once in a lifetime experience....
    This should be the only reason anyone needs to support the women's team. I hope those who are disappointed and/or angered by the Mirai situation will be able to put that aside, at least for the Olympics and the time leading up to the Olympics, and show support for the women's team. While you might want to punish USFS, the skaters are athletes and are not responsible for USFS's decision.

O-

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast