Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I don't think there is any bad blood between Mirai and Ashley. None of the skaters are responsible for the controversy, and none should be blamed or excoriated.
    It's not Ashley's fault that she was selected, but her comments afterwards have been nothing but heartless. She has no scruples or empathy. Imagine how Mirai feels reading that Ashley won't have to watch her "dreams fall apart"; that she only had "one bad performance" (it's been more than one); She swears she will be ready by the Olympics, even though she couldn't stand up at nationals; "I didn't stand up when the world was watching" but promises she will next time; "Look at my body of work" as if you can ask for a re-skate at the Olympics; "There seems to be a bit of a pattern of falling" she laughs, knowing she will make the team anyway...

It's nauseating.

vCash
    ^^ Oh, eh? What's to be done about it, leafygreens? Try to be less emotional and more objective about this. USFS was rotten to Mirai, but neither were they ever that supportive of Ashley, in the fawning sense of thinking she was ever the future like they think of Gracie and Polina. Ashley was also in the shadow of Mirai and Caroline coming up in Juniors, and then she was pushed aside in favor of the fawning over Rachael Flatt by USFS. Bottom line: Ashley Wagner is a self-made champion. She could have given up. But no, she made the decision, just like Mirai, to not give up on herself or her Olympic dream. Ashley lifted herself up during a transitional time and in the process lifted up U.S. ladies figure skating. Yep, Ashley didn't skate the way she can, but seriously USFS gave her a mountain to climb after she was battling all season on the GP circuit to hard-won medals. And that while Gracie had the chance to stay home, work with Frank and Lori and be uber-prepared for her U.S. Nationals coronation.

None of this is fair to Mirai, but the choice was really between Polina and Mirai. However, USFS is so gobsmacked by Polina's prospects that they feel the need to rush her and her promising yet still juniorish skating out to the Olympics. I'd have sent Polina to 4CCs and Worlds, or to 4CCs, and Junior Worlds, and let Mirai have her hard fought chance at the Olympics again. It speaks loud and clear that USFS is not planning to at least give Mirai the deserved opportunity to skate at Worlds. And after all, Polina (barring injury) has at least two and possibly three more opportunities to work harder to earn an Olympic berth, and not luck into one. I'm not saying Polina didn't skate well, but it's her senior Nationals debut and the Olympics will be her senior international debut. I know she's hugely talented, but that's still also very lucky!

In any case, here's a lighthearted spoof, in the vein of a Saturday Night Live send-up. Not intended to bash any of the skaters, nor to offend (except maybe a bit of tongue-in-cheek bashing of USFS who are the best target in all of this). Plus it's a parody of what did happen last year and this year.

USFS conversation/ messages to various ladies skaters:

"Well hello Miss Polina! Come on in and make yourself right at home. Don't worry 'bout a thing. You've done more than enough to qualify. Here, hold on tight to your ticket to Sochi! Sandra Bezic was right. You're just so, so pure! We're banking on you now to capture titles galore in the future. You're our 'Iron Butterfly,' our prospective BIG dividend."

"Oh, tsk, tsk Mirai. Didn't you get the message last year that we don't need you or want you?! Okay, calm down. Here's a few peanuts. Now, get lost! And don't bother to slam the door on your way out."
    (At the same time, USFS and Scott Hamilton are crying faux tears for the media pr):
    "Our hearts are just breakin' for Mirai ..."

"Hey, what? Didn't we have your back last year, Ashley? Alright, we get it. This year was a real scare. Yeah, oops, we almost forgot you had anything to do with securing that third spot. Sure, you're definitely a respected champion, at least internationally... Guess we'll have to put up with you and your principled outspokenness, and your positive team leadership for at least another couple of months."

"Diva Gracie! Your most Royal Highness, we bow down to your Frankified transformative powers. You are so bountiful and graceful in all your glory. Such a Pretty Woman! Please sprinkle some of that fairy dust on the ice in Sochi. We're relying on you to lead us to the Promised Land."

Meanwhile,
    To Agnes: "We've finally fallen out of love with you. Your time to get-it-together is up."

To Sammi: "Not so fast, fierce and beautiful brunette. Scott Hamilton is calling for another tech review."

To Christina: "Christina Who?" "Oh, yes. You're the lovely Harvard lady who we robbed of a podium finish last year..." ((shrugs))

To Courtney: "Yes, dear, you're still an amazing jumper, but we now realize that we rushed to over-score you last year, nearly as fast as you can race across the ice. Keep on learning how to slow down and skate to the music."

vCash
    My dog's breeder's sister called me today..

vCash
    aftershocks, somebody in the Ashley thread said they were your biggest fan, but after this post here you've made me a fan

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    It's not Ashley's fault that she was selected, but her comments afterwards have been nothing but heartless. She has no scruples or empathy. Imagine how Mirai feels reading that Ashley won't have to watch her "dreams fall apart"; that she only had "one bad performance" (it's been more than one); She swears she will be ready by the Olympics, even though she couldn't stand up at nationals; "I didn't stand up when the world was watching" but promises she will next time; "Look at my body of work" as if you can ask for a re-skate at the Olympics; "There seems to be a bit of a pattern of falling" she laughs, knowing she will make the team anyway...

It's nauseating.
    Ashley appears fake to me in her interaction. The most real thing she was ever done was the face she had after Mirai finished her skate in 2010 Nationals which were daggers. I knew she was going to flub up LP the moment she tried to hug Christina Gao after Christina finished. She had her plan ready. I'm the nice lovable one that cares about others. "I'm sorry" doesn't really cut in sport. Who is she sorry to? How about she just puts up and shuts up once?

vCash
    Wow. I didn't see an ulterior motive in her hug to Gao at all.

Very interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Not worry about the rules? The rules say that a skater who works hard consistently, and can back that up with results, has consideration that may override nationals.

Of course it is a different outcome, because Polina's result is different. In that case, Mirai would be going.

I think if it were Mirai-Polina-Gracie-Ashley, Polina would stay home.

In my eyes, Polina and Mirai are about equal in the other criteria (Mirai has a good GP, a bad GP, and a poor result last year at nationals. Polina has a decent JGPF. Basically- nothing really distinguishes either of them), so nationals is the factor between them.

And quite honestly, I think you could replace Mirai or Polina with any other top 10 skater. Because ONLY Ashley or Gracie had anything significant mounting up with the other selection criteria. Other skaters had one thing here or there.

And I have to say, Ashley's comments about big lights, or whatever she said is absolutely inane coming from a seasoned competitor. It makes her come across as really ridiculous.
    ITA with everything you said, including Ashley's comment. I really like Ashley and think she handled most of this very well, but I when I read that. It doesn't make her sound ready for Sochi at all and comes across as a really poor excuse.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Aftershocks, while ideally the choice should be between Mirai and Polina, it's Ashley who has to answer for her lackluster performance. She is the one who has to justify her spot. To quote another person's comment, "the one who caused the problem should have to pay for the problem," which would be Ashley who bombed. Not Mirai who showed up and did her job. The media would leave Ashley alone if she had delivered. She didn't deliver so she has no business making some of the comments she has. Maybe it was the wine and lack of sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Oh, eh? What's to be done about it, leafygreens? Try to be less emotional and more objective about this. USFS was rotten to Mirai, but neither were they ever that supportive of Ashley, in the fawning sense of thinking she was ever the future like they think of Gracie and Polina. Ashley was also in the shadow of Mirai and Caroline coming up in Juniors, and then she was pushed aside in favor of the fawning over Rachael Flatt by USFS. Bottom line: Ashley Wagner is a self-made champion. She could have given up. But no, she made the decision, just like Mirai, to not give up on herself or her Olympic dream. Ashley lifted herself up during a transitional time and in the process lifted up U.S. ladies figure skating. Yep, Ashley didn't skate the way she can, but seriously USFS gave her a mountain to climb after she was battling all season on the GP circuit to hard-won medals.
    You know what you are talking about. Some of the clowns in this thread ripping Ashley need to get their heads out of their arse and read this.

vCash

Mirai’s Lament

I used to rule the world
    Seas would rise when I gave the word
    Now in the morning I sleep alone
    Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to rule the ice
    Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
    Listen as the crowd would sing
    “Now the old queen is dead! Long live the queen!”

One minute I held the key
    Next the walls were closed on me
    And I discovered that my castles stand
    Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
    Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
    Be my mirror, my sword and shield
    My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
    Once you go there was never
    Never an honest word
    And that was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
    Blew down the doors to let me in
    Shattered windows and the sound of drums
    People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
    For my head on a silver plate
    Just a puppet on a lonely string
    Oh, who would ever wanna be queen?

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
    Roman Cavalry choirs are singing

I know St. Peter won't call my name
    Never an honest word
    But that was when I ruled the world

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

I hear Boston bells are ringing
    Russian Red Army choirs are singing

I know St. Peter won't call my name
    Never an honest word
    But that was when I ruled the world.

Last edited by Vagabond; 01-15-2014 at 03:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    So, who thinks Gracie will keep the bun? I love it. It's so Mad Men. Or maybe Margot Fonteyn.
    Yes, she and Ashley were emulating the hair-do's I've seen Gaby Seyfert and Hana Maskova wearing in photos / videos of 1968. Now, we just need a clunky skater w/ good edges and a pixie cut to play Trixi Schuba

vCash
    I haven't read anything she's said in relation to Mirai after Nationals, but I can't believe that Ashley didn't know she would be going to the Olympics even after bombing at Nationals. She looked remarkably relaxed (I would even say self-satisfied but YMMV) during the rest of the competition after she was done, which jives with the article quoted in another thread about her drinking wine and watching movies after her performance.

And this isn't really related to the Olympic selection issue, but Ashley has always struck me as faking it in all the media interactions which portray her as a wholesome, Michelle Kwan-type skater. I wouldn't be surprised if she's secretly a diva who can be meanish and shoots daggers out of her eyes more often than not.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So, who thinks Gracie will keep the bun? I love it. It's so Mad Men. Or maybe Margot Fonteyn.
    Or Grace Kelly.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    She looked remarkably relaxed (I would even say self-satisfied but YMMV) during the rest of the competition after she was done, which jives with the article quoted in another thread about her drinking wine and watching movies after her performance.
    Max looked remarkably put together in the Athletes lounge too. And there was no way he thought he was assured the spot. I don't know how they don't all look like nervous wrecks.

To me drinking wine means trying to destress and get over it. People drink wine when they are upset just as much as when they celebrate.

I don't think Ashley knew, if she did she wouldn't have been crying during the medal ceremony- from the start of it- Mirai wiped a tear off Ashley's face when they hugged. I do think there is something to the theory that one of the presenters told her not to worry- because that would jive with when Mirai started crying during the ceremony.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Wow. I didn't see an ulterior motive in her hug to Gao at all.

Very interesting.

Actually it was the UFSFA that put her up to it.

"Diva Gracie! Your most Royal Highness, we bow down to your Frankified transformative powers."
    OK, that was really funny.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 01-15-2014 at 01:43 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I thought Mad Men also... its very Betty Draper, from season 3, the episode where she and Don go to Italy.

vCash
    I can't believe some of these posts. Evidently, the decisions that USFS has made over the past week have broken many, many hearts...but attacking other skaters because your favorite didn't make the team is inane. I've always been behind Mirai, and I was so proud of her to pull out all the stops at Nationals. I was also so sad she did not make the team...but that doesn't mean Ashley deserves this much hate...it's beyond criticism, it's hate.

Let's start with Ashley hugging Christina after she bombed her free skate. That was just human compassion. I've never seen Gao un-composed, and to see that girl sobbing was heart breaking. All the while, Ashley, who's worrying about even cracking the top three standings at that point, manages to muster the solidarity to give Christina a hug. That was true and honest, and does not deserve unfounded scrutiny of the likes of "she was playing up her little nice act" This is figure skating, not House of Cards.

Ashley did her best to give a good face the whole week...because she is a public figure. She's the top ranked US Athlete, an ambassador for multiple brands, so yes, it's her job to be open and communicate with the press, no matter her state of mind. She doesn't have the luxury of doing otherwise. She cracked when she could (i.e. Kiss and Cry post-FP ), and held up pretty well after that.

Follow any of Ashley's interviews, talks, whatever (see: TSL Interview), she's upfront, real, and honest, which is so refreshing in this world of pageantry (un-named other skater: "I believe in being my own role model" ). Everyone has a right to be upset about a result, but don't attack her, the person. It's small.

vCash
    Best to ignore the troll bashing Ashley for hugging Christina. As has been pointed out several times already, some of the more "interesting" Kwan fans have bashed Ashley since she first came on the scene and talked about idolizing Tara Lipinski. Trolls have good memories. By the way, she showed similar compassion and class in regard to Agnes in 2012 and that poster would probably bash her for that too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    I can't believe some of these posts. Evidently, the decisions that USFS has made over the past week have broken many, many hearts...but attacking other skaters because your favorite didn't make the team is inane. I've always been behind Mirai, and I was so proud of her to pull out all the stops at Nationals. I was also so sad she did not make the team...but that doesn't mean Ashley deserves this much hate...it's beyond criticism, it's hate.

Let's start with Ashley hugging Christina after she bombed her free skate. That was just human compassion. I've never seen Gao un-composed, and to see that girl sobbing was heart breaking. All the while, Ashley, who's worrying about even cracking the top three standings at that point, manages to muster the solidarity to give Christina a hug. That was true and honest, and does not deserve unfounded scrutiny of the likes of "she was playing up her little nice act" This is figure skating, not House of Cards.

Ashley did her best to give a good face the whole week...because she is a public figure. She's the top ranked US Athlete, an ambassador for multiple brands, so yes, it's her job to be open and communicate with the press, no matter her state of mind. She doesn't have the luxury of doing otherwise. She cracked when she could (i.e. Kiss and Cry post-FP ), and held up pretty well after that.

Follow any of Ashley's interviews, talks, whatever (see: TSL Interview), she's upfront, real, and honest, which is so refreshing in this world of pageantry (un-named other skater: "I believe in being my own role model" ). Everyone has a right to be upset about a result, but don't attack her, the person. It's small.

vCash
    I know this might be wrong but how about we talk about our new Ladies champion instead of all this drama? It's over and done with so how about we support the team that was chosen? I for one have a headache from reading all these threads about what should be done and who's to blame etc etc. I think we have a interesting team with one veteran one youngster and a champion who's a bit of both.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast