Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    She is 20 years old. In 2018 she will be 24, competing against much younger ladies who can do more difficult jump combinations. Mirai has been competing at the senior level since she was 13-14. That's a lot of mileage on a body. I am not saying it would be impossible for her to make the Olympic team in 2018, but it will be very very difficult. Of course Shizuka won the OGM in 2006, but she had a world gold to her credit, and support of her fed - I believe because of her title in 2004.
    I think Mirai can do whatever she puts her mind to. I don't think anyone said it wouldn't be hard. For all we know next season she could have a triple axel. She has practicing in the off season practically every summer. She appears to have cleaned up her lutz and as long as Mirai can keep confidence in herself and not let this ruin her career the results will come with skates similar to Nationals. One step at a time.

vCash
    I take back my comments about the Scott and Sandra being against Mirai. Listening to them the were very supportive.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Mirai is a figure skating Olympian because that honor does not go away. Furthermore, she did put in time and effort into something she liked and did achieve professional level results, which is a rare achievement. Mirai can still train to see how good she can really be, and for that she is very fortunate. I hope she wakes up everyday and thinks "how good at this can I be today" and at every competition thinks "I can't wait to show everybody what I can do!" Competitions are really only a means to faster, higher, stronger. Medals do not mean you are your fastest, highest, strongest.

vCash
    Mirai's Exhibition in HD NBC Broadcast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqG3UPgU7as

vCash
    With Bobby Burns day coming up, I'll be sure to combine both our cultures and send her some Sweet 'n Sour Haggis!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Mirai is a figure skating Olympian because that honor does not go away. Furthermore, she did put in time and effort into something she liked and did achieve professional level results, which is a rare achievement. Mirai can still train to see how good she can really be, and for that she is very fortunate. I hope she wakes up everyday and thinks "how good at this can I be today" and at every competition thinks "I can't wait to show everybody what I can do!" Competitions are really only a means to faster, higher, stronger. Medals do not mean you are your fastest, highest, strongest.
    Go Marai! I hope to see more of her in the future and next year's Nationals - higher on the podium is likely her goal. Her FS score was almost the same as Polina (sp?).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I don't think that this was Mirai's last shot for the Olympics, it certainly wouldn't be a matter of talent, as there are very few skaters in the world with the talent she has. The last four years did not go as anyone expected, a big part of that though was that her body changed a lot. By the looks of her it only seems that within the past season her body has finally "settled" and I would imagine that training will be a lot simpler what with not having to constantly having to adjust to her new physical dimensions. She still has all her triples, and the UR issue seems to have improved. While I was disgusted with how things went down in Boston, I can't help but be really excited by the fact that she finished 3rd and was ever so close to 2nd. When you compare her performance with her two peers: Zhang and Flatt, who both fell by the wayside this quad for various reasons, it's pretty heartening to see Mirai still in the thick of things--and I would say she was still skating at only around 70% of her capability in Boston. I think Mirai has a lot more to show if she wants to, it's really up to her.
    I agree with this whole post. To be honest, even I at times have forgotten that Mirai had to struggle through not one but two growth spurts. First, after 2008 Nationals, then again after the 2011 season (she seemed to have filled out more by 2012). And who knows what was going on at home? Her former coach, Frank Carroll said that Mirai had been going through some personal issues he didn't want to elaborate on - Lord knows that could mean anything.

Here's to Mirai - on to 4CCs and hopefully sweet victory there! A medal of any color would be a wonderful way to end her season and it certainly would contribute to her own 'body of work' this year to go along with her Nationals bronze going into next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I think Mirai can do whatever she puts her mind to. I don't think anyone said it wouldn't be hard. For all we know next season she could have a triple axel. She has practicing in the off season practically every summer. She appears to have cleaned up her lutz and as long as Mirai can keep confidence in herself and not let this ruin her career the results will come with skates similar to Nationals. One step at a time.
    This reminds me - one poster mentioned during the ladie's FS warmup that Mirai had landed a 'beautiful salchow' and I believe someone else mentioned that she had been doing them - I think if she can get herself to top condition she can get that salchow back in her program, and eventually have a 7 triple program. I do hope she can get her 3Lz-3T back - it gets her a higher SV even if she flutzes (see Julia...).

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Mirai never flutzed ...

vCash
    Mirai's problem has been ur, not edge calls

vCash
    Mirai never flutzed ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Mirai's problem has been ur, not edge calls
    Read the judges protocols at some of Mirai's best events when she was on top of her game:

At U.S. Nationals - the SP which Mirai won she got an '(i) on her Lutz: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/results.html

Same thing happened to Mirai in her LP: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/results.html

In her 2010 Olympic SP, Mirai received an (i) on her Lutz: http://www.isuresults.com/results/ow..._SP_Scores.pdf

In her 2010 Worlds SP (which she won), Mirai received an (i) on her Lutz: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._SP_Scores.pdf

In her 2010 Worlds LP, Mirai received an (i) on her Lutz-2A Seq: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc..._FS_Scores.pdf

That's at least 5 (i)'s at the most major events of them all, the Olympics and Worlds as well as U.S. Nationals - all in the same year too.

And there were other competitions in which Mirai got dinged on her Lutz - not just for URs. At the 2010 GPs she got edge calls, at least 3 at Trophee Bompard, at 2011 Cup of China, where Mirai won the silver, she got 3 edge calls again throughout the SP and LP or FS.

The British commentator said that she took off on the wrong edge at the 2010 Olympics (or it may have been Worlds). I have the video with commentary saved somewhere.

She has also received edge calls on her Flips - again here, a few examples from some of her best events.

2011 Four Continents (in both the short and long):
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc..._SP_Scores.pdf
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc..._FS_Scores.pdf

At the more recent NHK Trophy Mirai received an 'e' on her flip in both programs:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SP_Scores.pdf
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FS_Scores.pdf

At Rostelecom Cup (where she won bronze) Mirai received an 'e' on all of her flips:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FS_Scores.pdf

Notice that over the years Mirai took out the Lutz and eventually the flip in the SP (where an edge call is more costly).

I love Mirai to bits but let's keep it real. It's not a MAJOR problem for Mirai as much as URs but it has cropped up fairly consistently - and has done so at each of her premiere events (Nationals, Worlds, Olympics).
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 01-20-2014 at 10:01 AM.

vCash
    Any word on Mirai at the moment? She is supposed to be competing this week at 4CC's. It will be very interesting to see who is coaching her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Any word on Mirai at the moment? She is supposed to be competing this week at 4CC's. It will be very interesting to see who is coaching her.
    I hope Mirai has cried out her disappointment enough that she can focus on 4CCs. I hope she stays on her game, hits both programs out of the park even better than at Nationals and makes the podium - gold would of course be sweetest of all.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Mirai went from being a champion so young to being an underdog. AT 20, she can either quit and move on, or give her final 4-6 years of prime athleticism to the sport to see how far she can go. I know she wants to have that 3flip-3toe in her arsenal and get it out in competition, and I know she feels she can do better.

I hope she finds satisfaction in trying to go on, but if not, I wish her success in life.

vCash
    Reading the entries, Takahiko Mura will be at 4CC's. I wonder if that means Mr. Mura (the father) will be able to coach Mirai in real time at the competition …. Not sure if the USFSA rules apply outside of nationals, i.e. - international competitions.

I went to twitter and Mirai has been dead silent for a while. Hmmm.

As of now, she's still listed as an entry. Good luck, Mirai!

vCash
    I think everybody, including myself could use a break from social media. The whole world needs to learn moderation.

vCash
    Mirai is a figure skating Olympian because that honor does not go away.
    To me, she is a two time Olympian. I saw her earn it on the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Reading the entries, Takahiko Mura will be at 4CC's. I wonder if that means Mr. Mura (the father) will be able to coach Mirai in real time at the competition …. Not sure if the USFSA rules apply outside of nationals, i.e. - international competitions.

I went to twitter and Mirai has been dead silent for a while. Hmmm.

As of now, she's still listed as an entry. Good luck, Mirai!
    And what is interesting is that Mr. Mura is now officially listed as Mirai's coach in her ISU bio! http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010220.htm

I hope this means that she will be training with him full time. If this means a move to Japan I say go for it! Mirai needs a stable coaching environment, one that she is happy with and can hopefully thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    To me, she is a two time Olympian. I saw her earn it on the ice.
    I did too.

Go for it at 4CCs Mirai!!

vCash
    ^It seems Mirai is serious about continuing her competitive career!!

I did in these several days. I didn't find Mirai's footsteps in Okayama(as I mentioned on the 4CC practice report thread in K'nC). So I don't think she visited Okayama after US Nationals. However, I found a blog entry posted by one of the coaches working at the rink where Mirai trained under Mr. Mura:

(my rough translation)
    I have many thoughts inside of me. However, Mirai-chan is standing on the starting line of the road to her jfuture(note:='Miirai') . I wish she tries her best helping each other with Takahito-kun(note:=Takahito Mura) aiming at appearing in the next Olympics in Korea. We, people in Okayama, continue the full support for Mirai-chan! Although it's a tough time, I hope Mirai-chan gets over it!
    Last edited by rosewood; 01-21-2014 at 01:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    And what is interesting is that Mr. Mura is now officially listed as Mirai's coach in her ISU bio! http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010220.htm

I hope this means that she will be training with him full time. If this means a move to Japan I say go for it! Mirai needs a stable coaching environment, one that she is happy with and can hopefully thrive.

I did too.

Go for it at 4CCs Mirai!!
    It seems to have worked out for her so far, so it's good that she is continuing on the same path instead of starting over.

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    ^It seems Mirai is serious about continuing her competitive career!!

I did in these several days. I didn't find Mirai's footsteps in Okayama(as I mentioned on the 4CC practice report thread in K'nC). So I don't think she visited Okayama after US Nationals. However, I found a blog entry posted by one of the coaches working at the rink where Mirai trained under Mr. Mura:

(my rough translation)
    Nice! Thanks for translating.

vCash
    Is 4CC going to be televised in the US?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast