Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    BTW I did not realize she had dual citizenship with Japan & the USA because I thought Japan did not allow dual citizenship. May be there is an exception for children born to Japanese parents?
    That's exactly why. Children get dual citizenship until age 22. Cathy and Chris Reed for instance renounced their US citizenship. Alex Shibutani renounced his Japanese citizenship but Maia is still a dual citizen.

vCash
    It would be difficult I imagine to sit out two years, as during that time younger Japanese ladies would be on the rise, and Mirai would also need a way to maintain fitness and competitive momentum.

vCash
    If we couldn't get Mirai to drive to Palm Springs to train with Frank because it was too far, I can't imagine her giving up her citizenship to live and train in Japan, away from her parents (her mother, in particular, who has had some serious health issues as of late). It's a great idea, but I don't think it's plausible. Perhaps there is another way for her to use her Japanese connections?
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    It occurs to me that Mirai might need some help maintaining her website, which would help her take advantage of this wave of awareness and sympathy. I know other skating fans have served as webmasters for various skaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    May be she could hire someone - even part time to do this? It will cost money of course but she may have more money flowing in as a result, giving her a good return on the investment.
    Per Leah Adams, who runs Figure Skaters Online (of which Mirai appears to be a part), the websites are mostly done by volunteers. (See manleywoman skatecast #54.) (I've been meaning to contact Leah for a while to see if I could help. . . clearly there's a need, and probably for help with other skaters as well.)

GO MIRAI!!! KICK BUTT IN TAIPEI!!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Good luck to Mirai at 4CC hope you sparkle and shine!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    If we couldn't get Mirai to drive to Palm Springs to train with Frank because it was too far, I can't imagine her giving up her citizenship to live and train in Japan, away from her parents (her mother, in particular, who has had some serious health issues as of late). It's a great idea, but I don't think it's plausible. Perhaps there is another way for her to use her Japanese connections?
    Maybe, but Mirai has seemed to have been refreshed over these past few months while training in Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabooke View Post
    Maybe, but Mirai has seemed to have been refreshed over these past few months while training in Japan.
    Definitely! I wouldn't deny that. But giving up her citizenship is permanent. It's a huge decision.

vCash
    Who are 'we'? Did you work as Mirai's adviser or someone close to her?

It's ridiculous to keep bringing up the Palm Springs issue. The distance was too much for her at that time. There could have been other issues that we are not aware of. If Mirai chooses to live in Japan, I am sure she can find accommodations within a reasonable distance from her rink. She did live in Japan for sometime prior to the US nationals to train. It's another time, another place.

TO me the major hurdle appears to be the two year waiting period. It's hard to stay in competition shape when you are not competing, and she could lose two best years of her life.

vCash
    Who are 'we'? Did you work as Mirai's adviser or someone close to her?

It's ridiculous to keep bringing up the Palm Springs issue. The distance was too much for her at that time. There could have been other issues that we are not aware of. If Mirai chooses to live in Japan, I am sure she can find accommodations within a reasonable distance from her rink. She did live in Japan for sometime prior to the US nationals to train. It's another time, another place.

TO me the major hurdle appears to be the two year waiting period. It's hard to stay in competition shape when you are not competing, and she could lose two best years of her life.
    Why do you take everything as a personal attack? If I hadn't read your responses to other posters, I would think that it was me, but it's not. The word we is used loosely and is not meant in anyway to be disrespectful. Get a grip.

I never said anything negative about Mirai not going to Frank's new rink. It is a long way for a daily commute. For whatever reason, she didn't go with Frank. There is no bad blood between them, as far I know. I don't hold it against her, and neither should anyone else. I never said that she was incapable of moving to Japan or finding accommodations. Before you start talking out of the side your face, you should carefully read posts.

The reasons that mentioned for her not wanting to permanently move to Japan are valid. There are some of us who would like for her to make a decision that is a good one for her and her family. And you're right: To you the major hurdle is the two year waiting period. To her there can be a whole host of reasons. All I am saying is moving to the other side of the world is not her only option. It might not even be on her radar. That's her decision to make. And it's not like anything has to be decided to day or tomorrow. Can you at least let her get thru 4 Continents before you pack her off?

vCash
    Moving to Japan aiming at appearing in the Korean Olympics seems.....hmmmm

vCash
    Definitely! I wouldn't deny that. But giving up her citizenship is permanent. It's a huge decision.
    Not necessarily. She could switch back to US citizenship, couldn't she? She may not want to though if Japan gives her opportunities that the USA could not or did not.

vCash
    Why do you take everything as a personal attack? If I hadn't read your responses to other posters, I would think that it was me, but it's not. The word we is used loosely and is not meant in anyway to be disrespectful. Get a grip.

I never said anything negative about Mirai not going to Frank's new rink. It is a long way for a daily commute. For whatever reason, she didn't go with Frank. There is no bad blood between them, as far I know. I don't hold it against her, and neither should anyone else. I never said that she was incapable of moving to Japan or finding accommodations. Before you start talking out of the side your face, you should carefully read posts.

The reasons that mentioned for her not wanting to permanently move to Japan are valid. There are some of us who would like for her to make a decision that is a good one for her and her family. And you're right: To you the major hurdle is the two year waiting period. To her there can be a whole host of reasons. All I am saying is moving to the other side of the world is not her only option. It might not even be on her radar. That's her decision to make. And it's not like anything has to be decided to day or tomorrow. Can you at least let her get thru 4 Continents before you pack her off?
    Read your own post again. I think you should read your own posts carefully and see how the sound. There is no such explanation in it. You did write 'we', so I wanted to know if you were connected with her in any way. I think that's legit. There are all kinds of people on this board. There are skaters, their relatives. How would I know if you were/or not one?

The words in your post implied that there was something wrong in her not wanting to go to Palm Springs. I don't know how that is related to going to Japan. About the 2-year wait, it is simply my opinion, just like every one else here has an opinion.

vCash
    Hey, this is supposed to be a Mirai cheer thread, not an argument clinic!

I for one want Mirai to represent my country, the United States of America, for years to come!

USFS may not love her but the fans certainly do. She got the biggest, warmest, most heartfelt response of the entire nationals gala. I hope she has the skates of her life at Four Continents, and Worlds, where she still might wind up participating. USFS should have given her at least one of Olympics/Worlds (IMHO both) and hopefully will do the right thing by her for assignments in the fall.

vCash
    Let's face it, realistically this was Mirai's last chance of going to another Olympics, and it was unfairly ripped away from her. The USFSA should pay her for the last 4 years of her life. $1 million sounds about right.

vCash
    When it comes to figure skating, I really don't care what country that skater skates for. Of course if she skates for the USA, we will get to see more of her (in person), but as long as she is happy doing what she is doing (hopefully competing and winning too), it's all that matters to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post

I for one want Mirai to represent my country, the United States of America, for years to come!

USFS may not love her but the fans certainly do. She got the biggest, warmest, most heartfelt response of the entire nationals gala. I hope she has the skates of her life at Four Continents, and Worlds, where she still might wind up participating. USFS should have given her at least one of Olympics/Worlds (IMHO both) and hopefully will do the right thing by her for assignments in the fall.
    +3GOE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post

^^^whole post.

As far as I know, Mirai has not indicated that she is considering representing Japan. But if she should chose to renounce her U.S. citizenship, she could become a U.S. citizen again. Anyway, I am looking forward to her Four Continents performances, and wish her the best of luck going forward.

vCash
    Forever love Miraiiiii weeeeeeee

Kick asses at 4CC, bring home that Gold and create more controversies. I'm here for it

vCash
    Not necessarily. She could switch back to US citizenship, couldn't she? She may not want to though if Japan gives her opportunities that the USA could not or did not.
    According to this (official government webpage) renouncing your citizenship when you are no longer a minor is an irrevocable act. It is not something that should be taken lightly:
    http://travel.state.gov/content/trav...tizenship.html

She could go through the (long, expensive) government channels to become a permanent resident though.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 01-16-2014 at 02:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozy View Post
    Let's face it, realistically this was Mirai's last chance of going to another Olympics, and it was unfairly ripped away from her. The USFSA should pay her for the last 4 years of her life. $1 million sounds about right.
    It's Mirai's cheer thread. Please let's keep it upbeat!

Mirai said that training in Japan was a dream come true. Maybe it could become a reality? Skaters have trained in foreign countries before. Mura again perhaps - he did wonders for her post NHK - and she fought her way back to the podium at Nationals after a two year drought in an Olympic year! She knows she had the right to go to Sochi and earned it.

Love you Mirai! ♥ Bring it at 4CCs!!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast