Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    She did a whack of programs for Kurt, including his iconic "Casablanca," as well as "Antares," among others (Bezic's programs for Kurt are partway down the page.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zee703 View Post
    I've often wondered why American broadcasters have Canadian commentators for skating. Do the Canadian broadcasters have Americans as commentators? I bet they never have and never will.

Both Scott and Sandra commented on Mirai's bizarre behavior in the second half of her LP after observing Mirai stop a second time, take a deeeeep breath, and slowly blooooow it out). I don't think I've ever before seen a skater do such a weird thing during his/her program. They were correct in making a comment about it.
    Does it really matter where the commentators are from? If they are knowledgeable and willing what is the problem. Tracy Wilson will be doing NBC Olympic coverage and viewers are lucky to have her, though I do find her commentary to be less technical when she does us vs. Canadian tv

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zee703 View Post
    Both Scott and Sandra commented on Mirai's bizarre behavior in the second half of her LP after observing Mirai stop a second time, take a deeeeep breath, and slowly blooooow it out). I don't think I've ever before seen a skater do such a weird thing during his/her program. They were correct in making a comment about it.
    You really think that breathing during a sporting event is bizarre, as in very strange or unusual so as to cause interest or amusement? That's bizarre to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
    Bezic was also quite a well-known skater in her own right. She was a 5-time Canadian pair champion with her brother Val, and competed at the 1972 Olympics. The US "LIFE" magazine even put her on the cover in 1972! As a professional skater, she worked with both Toller Cranston (she pops out of a giant clam in "Strawberry Ice") and John Curry (as the title character in "The Snow Queen"), and competed with her brother in at least one of Dick Button's World Pro events. Her work with Boitano was what really put her on the map as a choreographer, but before that she had worked with Underhill & Martini from the very beginning of their competitive careers.

I don't know the story about how Bezic got started doing TV commentary, but 1990 Worlds for CBS is the first event I recall her doing, and then she moved the NBC the following year when they got the ISU contract. I think that in that timeframe, Bezic was *not* particularly a "friend of Scott" -- she was affiliated with the Boitano/Witt "Skating" tour, which was a rival to Stars On Ice.

BTW, Tracy Wilson *does* owe her job to being a "friend of Scott". She was feeling pretty lost at the time she lost her partner Rob McCall to AIDS, and per Hamilton's autobiography, he talked CBS into hiring her so she would have something productive to do again.
    Sandra competed at the 1972 Olympics? Wow - she's older than I thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    Given that Sandra used to charge $10,000 per program for choreography, I'm sure she was making more doing that than she does as a commentator. I doubt she gets paid all that much to do 2-3 events per year for NBC.
    If what has been discussed in this forum about Mirai's family's finances (they own a sushi restaurant) is true, then it's no wonder if she can't afford a top notch choreographer!

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    If Mirai had shown better choreography and performance thereof, she might have finished second instead of third, the team selection would be different, and we'd be having a different conversation.
    Mirai's choreography didn't seem that bad in the eyes of the judges or she would have been buried in PCS and finished off of the podium. And besides - even with great choreo Mirai was never going to be on any Olympic or World team this cycle. The USFSA saw to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    If what has been discussed in this forum about Mirai's family's finances (they own a sushi restaurant) is true, then it's no wonder if she can't afford a top notch choreographer!

Mirai's choreography didn't seem that bad in the eyes of the judges or she would have been buried in PCS and finished off of the podium. And besides - even with great choreo Mirai was never going to be on any Olympic or World team this cycle. The USFSA saw to that.
    All of the nit-picking from gkelly can't overcome a first grade education.
    We all know 3rd is better than fourth.

This is not about pcs but rather back room politics replacing sporting results.

IF US Skating denied Mirai because they don't approve of her training that's really too bad.

What happened on the ice is what matters and not such judgemental behavior from a group of non-competing adults.

If Mirai does not meet their personal expectations or satisfy their lofty standards then Pat StPeter and her cronies are the one's who should go. Seems like they would be better off working at the Miss America pageant where being blonde still means something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    then it's no wonder if she can't afford a top notch choreographer!
    I think people on this board rag on skaters who re-use programs, but I think at least one skater (Brezina?) said in an interview he was reskating his programs not because he was 'used' to them, but because he could not afford new ones.

And I don't think all the money in the world on choreography is going to make you better (Sandra Bezic could choreograph my program and I'll still look like crap); but NOT being able to afford a good choreographer could hurt a skater who is great. The best choreographers know how to fill their programs with things that get the points. Now, that doesn't mean they all cost $10k, I doubt Rohene Ward is charging that yet, and his were the best programs of the year, but a skater who has to do their own choreography or has a coach choreograph MAY be at a disadvantage to someone who can afford the top choreographers.

vCash
    Bezic - with Hamilton and Tom Hammond - is not my dream team of commentators. Really. not.

But if I had worked with Toller Cranston and "popped out of a giant clam in Strawberry Ice," I would hope to coast on that gig for the rest of my professional life.

That is cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    Bezic - with Hamilton and Tom Hammond - is not my dream team of commentators. Really. not.

But if I had worked with Toller Cranston and "popped out of a giant clam in Strawberry Ice," I would hope to coast on that gig for the rest of my professional life.

That is cool.
    I remember that moment! Those Toller specials are treasures in my film collection.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I didn't have time to find the clam scene - or figure out why it is called Strawberry Ice - but here is a link to the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS_bs...02B7915C4DA31D

I will have to come back and watch this because I want to see Sandra as a skater. I caught Peggy Fleming in the big headdress and full make up with her layback in Part IV. At least I think it was Peggy Fleming. I would have never guessed Peggy would go all theatrical like that. But it was the era of Cher.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I remember that moment! Those Toller specials are treasures in my film collection.
    Toller is one of my all-time favorites and I did not realize Sandra did so much work with him.

Here is Brian B's SP from Calgary, another great program by Sandra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk_IXnlbd1U

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    FOS - friend of scott

not famous or tall enough to overshadow him
    How did Scott Hamilton get such a high profile gig on NBC is the main question. He's so shockingly ineloquent, it's just .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Toller is one of my all-time favorites and I did not realize Sandra did so much work with him.

Here is Brian B's SP from Calgary, another great program by Sandra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk_IXnlbd1U
    The Bezics were coached by Ellen Burka at the same time as Toller. Burka had a modern dance background and held improv theater on ice sessions for her skaters as part of their training.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    How did Scott Hamilton get such a high profile gig on NBC is the main question. He's so shockingly ineloquent, it's just .
    Because for many years he was one of the most well known and popular athletes in the US - not just in figure skating, but in sports in general.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Because for many years he was one of the most well known and popular athletes in the US - not just in figure skating, but in sports in general.
    Oh, I didn't realise he was that popular. My skating history is very limited. Thanks for educating me.

vCash
    Scott handled his post competitive career very well compared to some. In addition to touring, he began doing commentary for CBS the year after his big Olympic win. He took advantage of the limited window one has to turn Olympic success into a lifelong career. At that point, any weakness in speech was obviously less of a deal than having Mr. Gold Medalist on your team. And once he had been doing that and touring for awhile, he was a nice, familiar face/voice who knew how to do the job. It's a great example of the importance of striking while the iron is hot. Had he hesitated, I don't think he'd have found near the success with the commentating and possibly the tours and everything else, because he does lack some of the qualities that are usually found in successful stars.
    Last edited by Ilyich; 01-15-2014 at 07:19 PM.

vCash
    I think Scott also makes up for what he lacks in star quality with work ethic. When he was dropped by Ice Capades 2 years after his Olympic win(he was told male skaters weren't marketable as headliners) he hustled for sponsors and started his own tour. I noticed posters attending U.S. Nationals continually mentioning seeing him at practices taking notes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
    Oh geez. Does the Ashley/Mirai bickering have to take over *every* thread on this forum?
    Get used to it for a while - obviously it's fresh in every one's collective minds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I didn't have time to find the clam scene - or figure out why it is called Strawberry Ice - but here is a link to the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS_bs...02B7915C4DA31D

I will have to come back and watch this because I want to see Sandra as a skater. I caught Peggy Fleming in the big headdress and full make up with her layback in Part IV. At least I think it was Peggy Fleming. I would have never guessed Peggy would go all theatrical like that. But it was the era of Cher.
    The giant clam and the Bezics make their appearance at about 6:30 into part 2 of this youtube version. They also skate in the finale.

Peggy Fleming's solo is also in the "underwater" sequence, at the beginning of part 3. I think the skater with the "big headdress and full make up" in part 4 is Jamie Lynn Kitching, rather than Peggy. I don't know anything about her background, or how she got a featured role in this production.

vCash
    Sandra was also the Choreographer, Co-director; and appeared in the acclaimed'Emmy-Winning "Carmen on Ice".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYXkjJbS8T4

Her competitive career ended when she was 17.
    Val went to University;

The other great special Sandra did besides "You Must Remember This" was "A Passion to Skate".
    I recommend them highly.
    I think that Sandra has earned much more respect than she receives.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast