Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

vCash
    ^^^
    Not amusing, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    ^^^
    Not amusing, IMO.
    "Sandy [Bezic]: Are you making fun of me michaelfsfan?
    Michaelfsfan: Some people are so touchy!"
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    I lost all respect for Bezic the Tragikk and Screechy Scott after the way they behaved during the Pairs LP commentary at Salt Lake City. The result could have gone either way. I don't recall them crying foul murder when B/S skated perfectly whilst S/P had an obvious technical error during 2001 Worlds LP and the latter still placed above the former.
    Last edited by michaelfsfan; 01-18-2014 at 02:00 AM.
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelfsfan View Post
    I said the following about Sandra Bezic (aka Bezic the Tragikk) before the last Olympics and I believe it's still true ...

(sung to the tune of "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee" from 'Grease')

Look at me
    I'm fifty three
    I suck at commentary
    Since I'm not dead
    And I have to be fed
    NBC hired me!
    You're SO talented. Move over Maya Angelou.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I lost all respect for Sandra and Scott after the way they behaved during the Pairs LP commentary at Salt Lake City. The result could have gone either way. I don't recall them crying foul murder when B/S skated perfectly whilst S/P had an obvious technical error during 2001 Worlds LP and the latter still placed above the former.
    no, they were fine with that. they have no integrity.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I lost all respect for Bezic the Tragikk and Screechy Scott after the way they behaved during the Pairs LP commentary at Salt Lake City. The result could have gone either way.
    They, like the people in the audience that booed, were legitimately upset and shocked. They had witnessed something they thought was special and were obviously expecting a different result. I'm glad they expressed their feelings.

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    They, like the people in the audience that booed, were legitimately upset and shocked. They had witnessed something they thought was special and were obviously expecting a different result. I'm glad they expressed their feelings.
    This was what Scott said just after the marks were announced -

Scott: How did that happen??!!
    Sandra: No!!!
    Scott: How did that happen??!! They won that program!!! There's not a doubt in anyone in the place ... except for maybe a few judges.
    Sandra: No!!!

Unless Scott was 100% sure that EVERYONE ELSE in the arena, except the five judges who had B/S ahead, thought S/P deserved to be placed ahead of B/S, then his commentary was not only biased, it was inaccurate and unprofessional.

Also, he seemed to have forgotten that S/Z had yet to skate, and they had a shot at beating both B/S and S/P as they were in the top three after the short program and had planned a throw quad salchow in their long program. At least Sandra had some presence of mind to say, "It's not over yet."

And if you're talking about witnessing something special, the Chaplin choreography for City Lights was light years more original, subtle, nuanced and detailed than the "Let's just look constipated and stare at each other with scrunched up faces" choreography for Tristan und Isolde.
    Last edited by michaelfsfan; 01-18-2014 at 04:00 AM.
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

vCash
    If you asked the average American to name two famous figure skaters, they would probably respond with Tonya Harding and Scott Hamilton. Scott has always had great likability to the casual fan....the funny little guy who could do backflips!! So I guess when you are a network who cares nothing about quality in your commentators but about pleasing the largest crowd, and your decisions are made, not by skating fans, but by numbers crunchers in an office, it probably seemed like a no-brainer. If you know nothing about skating, how would you know if they are adequately discussing the skating?? Similarly, on CBC, Kurt Browning, who was one of my all-time favorite skaters, and approaches god-like status in Canada, is IMO a horrible commentator. Terribly biased, a relentless homer, and always trying (but usually failing) to be funny. Good skater does not equal good commentator. But it's all about the numbers.....they want a popular, familiar face to appeal to the masses. Which explains Scott Hamilton. Nothing explains the presence of Sandra Bezic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    Commentators should also use their head, and not just their feelings, though.

Anybody with knowledge of skating can very easily argue how B/S deserved 1st place based on higher quality of most technical elements and pretty much every single presentation criteria.

If all you're going to say is 'He/she/they landed more jumps, THEY SHOULD HAVE WON!' then you might as well take a random person off the street and put them in the commentary booth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If all you're going to say is 'He/she/they landed more jumps, THEY SHOULD HAVE WON!' then you might as well take a random person off the street and put them in the commentary booth.
    I believe we now have the correct answer to the original poster's question. The Admins can close this thread now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sarakimm View Post
    If you asked the average American to name two famous figure skaters, they would probably respond with Tonya Harding and Scott Hamilton. Scott has always had great likability to the casual fan....the funny little guy who could do backflips!! So I guess when you are a network who cares nothing about quality in your commentators but about pleasing the largest crowd, and your decisions are made, not by skating fans, but by numbers crunchers in an office, it probably seemed like a no-brainer. If you know nothing about skating, how would you know if they are adequately discussing the skating?? Similarly, on CBC, Kurt Browning, who was one of my all-time favorite skaters, and approaches god-like status in Canada, is IMO a horrible commentator. Terribly biased, a relentless homer, and always trying (but usually failing) to be funny. Good skater does not equal good commentator. But it's all about the numbers.....they want a popular, familiar face to appeal to the masses. Which explains Scott Hamilton. Nothing explains the presence of Sandra Bezic.
    Whatever faults he has, Scott is inherently a likable, people-oriented guy. During Nationals, my family happened to sit next to Scott's table at dinner one night. Scott generously took a few moments to talk with my 8-year-old nephew and ask him what sports he liked. What a great gift to give to a kid--meeting an Olympic champion! It's this kind of thing that continues to make Scott so popular, and keeps him in his commentating role. That, and his enthusiasm. I still do love how he gets genuinely excited about a great performance. Yes he may screech a bit at times, but I appreciate the enthusiasm. As good as Johnny is, for example, he doesn't exactly ooze over with excitement about anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Commentators should also use their head, and not just their feelings, though.

Anybody with knowledge of skating can very easily argue how B/S deserved 1st place based on higher quality of most technical elements and pretty much every single presentation criteria.

It is fairly often the case that a knowledgeable person can argue different outcomes in this sport. And it is true that the 2002 pairs competition was a good example of that. However, emotions exist, and I recognize how the energy in the building and a special moment can influence everyone from commentator to judge. There's always going to be times when someone is moved to tears or anger.

The main problem I have with the team of Scott and Sandra is what you point out in your third paragraph. They almost never say anything about content except the obvious. "He/she/they fell" combined with some thoughts about how the skater(s) have to mentally get beyond the mistake. It's worthless commentary, but the casual viewers seem to like it.
    Last edited by Ilyich; 01-18-2014 at 07:42 PM.

vCash
    You have to admit that spectator reaction to S/P's scores was something really new and really angry. I think people want to underplay it, but I think there's something to be said when all those people's gut reaction say one thing at that moment. I would have voted in favor of B/S too based on reasons articulated by many others, but I do admit that S/P performed much better that night (not skated, but performed).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678