Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 528
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873

    The 2014 Academy Awards/Oscars Thread

    Just a few hours to go before it starts. There was talk of heavy rain in the area which may affect the Red Carpet. But hopefully, it won't be a wash out.

    Seth MacFarlane won't be hosting the event this year. Instead, it will be Ellen DeGeneres. Fortunately, therefore, we can be thankful that there will be no repeat of what happened last year, which began with 'We Saw Your Boobs' and went rapidly downhill thereafter.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-02-2014 at 06:33 PM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,511
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    That's something to cheer about, indeed!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The Spice Rack
    Posts
    2,327
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There is a tent over at least part of the red carpet
    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/californ...hollywoodblvd/

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    I started an Oscars prediction thread couple days ago. It seems nobody cares anymore about Oscars anymore. Are they too predictable? I used to like it when there were Oscar surprises.
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-02-2014 at 08:52 PM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873
    TIME Article entitled: 'Oscars 2014: Why 12 Years a Slave Will Win Best Picture'

  6. #6
    Afterlife
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Where no cars go...
    Posts
    858
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9530
    I think a lot of the Oscars this year are pretty predictable. Pretty much everyone has been winning the same awards all awards season. It isn't like last year when Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director and the Best Supporting Actor category was wide open. There doesn't seem to be much debate on who is going home with most of the major categories this year outside of Best Picture. Which is expected to be 12 Years A Slave but could be spoiled by Gravity or American Hustle.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    582
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I think a lot of the Oscars this year are pretty predictable. Pretty much everyone has been winning the same awards all awards season. It isn't like last year when Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director and the Best Supporting Actor category was wide open. There doesn't seem to be much debate on who is going home with most of the major categories this year outside of Best Picture. Which is expected to be 12 Years A Slave but could be spoiled by Gravity or American Hustle.
    This is actually the least predictable year in recent memory. You have 3 films splitting SAG, DGA, PGA and BAFTA including an almost impossible tie at PGA. This is by far the most interesting race in years, to say nothing of the supporting actress category.

  9. #9
    Afterlife
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Where no cars go...
    Posts
    858
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9530
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    This is actually the least predictable year in recent memory. You have 3 films splitting SAG, DGA, PGA and BAFTA including an almost impossible tie at PGA. This is by far the most interesting race in years, to say nothing of the supporting actress category.
    I was under the impression the Lupita N'Yongo had Supporting pretty much sewn up. She's only lost a couple of the awards. I do think Jennifer Lawrence would be the only other person who would win in that category and its more likely for her to win than Amy Adams in Lead. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper don't stand a chance. So if there is going to be a token "American Hustle has to win at least one acting category," Supporting Actress is most likely to be it.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    being a grumpy penguin
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,909
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5587
    For some reason ,I'm just not that excited for the Oscars this year. I guess Sochi had enough drama and voids to last me.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I was under the impression the Lupita N'Yongo had Supporting pretty much sewn up. She's only lost a couple of the awards. I do think Jennifer Lawrence would be the only other person who would win in that category and its more likely for her to win than Amy Adams in Lead. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper don't stand a chance. So if there is going to be a token "American Hustle has to win at least one acting category," Supporting Actress is most likely to be it.
    Interesting analysis. Jennifer is the most likely to win for American Hustle, it seems.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,106
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Jennifer won the BAFTA and the Golden Globe over Lupita, who won most of the smaller awards. That makes it a pretty tight race, though I expect Lupita to bring it home tonight.

  13. #13
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    16,061
    vCash
    24000
    Rep Power
    37422
    Guiliana Ranic is too scary thin for that gown she is wearing. It's hanging like a sack on her.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  14. #14
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,170
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    liza has a blue stripe in her hair to match her dress. i love her so. she's even allowing lorna to speak and everything. lorna looks fabulous. LOL, if you've ever seen liza in concert, she name drops charles aznavour like crazy.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  15. #15
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,385
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    25256
    For some reason E! is no longer available on our tv package and I can't snark along.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  16. #16
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,170
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    For some reason E! is no longer available on our tv package and I can't snark along.

    i put on CNN because i just cant with giuliana and that osbourne spawn for more than a few seconds at a time
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873
    The word is that Lupita Nyong'o is the one to look out for on the Red Carpet this evening. This is what she wore to the Golden Globes. It was her 31st birthday yesterday (1st March)

  18. #18
    Afterlife
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Where no cars go...
    Posts
    858
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9530
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Jennifer won the BAFTA and the Golden Globe over Lupita, who won most of the smaller awards. That makes it a pretty tight race, though I expect Lupita to bring it home tonight.
    There's also the fact that Jennifer Lawrence won last year. I don't remember the last time an Actor/Actress won 2 years in a row. Even if it was in a different category. But 12 Years a Slave needs at least one major win and if it gets Supporting Actress it may theoretically soften the blow if it loses Best Picture to American Hustle.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    There's also the fact that Jennifer Lawrence won last year. I don't remember the last time an Actor/Actress won 2 years in a row. Even if it was in a different category. But 12 Years a Slave needs at least one major win and if it gets Supporting Actress it may theoretically soften the blow if it loses Best Picture to American Hustle.
    Actors/Actresses wining 2 Oscars in a row:-

    Luise Rainer (The Great Ziegfeld, 1936 and The Good Earth, 1937)
    Katharine Hepburn (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, 1967 and The Lion in Winter, 1968)
    Spencer Tracy (Captains Courageous, 1937 and Boys Town, 1938)
    Tom Hanks (Philadelphia, 1993 and Forrest Gump, 1994)
    Jason Robards (All the President's Men in 1976 and Julia in 1977)

    The person who has won most consecutive Oscars in any category is Walt Disney - 10 awards in 8 consecutive years from 1931/32 - 1939

  20. #20
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,170
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    The word is that Lupita Nyong'o is the one to look out for on the Red Carpet this evening. This is what she wore to the Golden Globes. It was her 31st birthday yesterday (1st March)
    she and her stylist have made such great choices all award season
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •