Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

The 2014 Academy Awards/Oscars Thread

Just a few hours to go before it starts. There was talk of heavy rain in the area which may affect the Red Carpet. But hopefully, it won't be a wash out.

Seth MacFarlane won't be hosting the event this year. Instead, it will be Ellen DeGeneres. Fortunately, therefore, we can be thankful that there will be no repeat of what happened last year, which began with 'We Saw Your Boobs' and went rapidly downhill thereafter.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-02-2014 at 06:33 PM.

vCash
    That's something to cheer about, indeed!

vCash
    There is a tent over at least part of the red carpet
    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/californ...hollywoodblvd/

vCash
    I started an Oscars prediction thread couple days ago. It seems nobody cares anymore about Oscars anymore. Are they too predictable? I used to like it when there were Oscar surprises.
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-02-2014 at 08:52 PM.

vCash
    TIME Article entitled: 'Oscars 2014: Why 12 Years a Slave Will Win Best Picture'

Afterlife
    vCash
    I think a lot of the Oscars this year are pretty predictable. Pretty much everyone has been winning the same awards all awards season. It isn't like last year when Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director and the Best Supporting Actor category was wide open. There doesn't seem to be much debate on who is going home with most of the major categories this year outside of Best Picture. Which is expected to be 12 Years A Slave but could be spoiled by Gravity or American Hustle.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I think a lot of the Oscars this year are pretty predictable. Pretty much everyone has been winning the same awards all awards season. It isn't like last year when Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director and the Best Supporting Actor category was wide open. There doesn't seem to be much debate on who is going home with most of the major categories this year outside of Best Picture. Which is expected to be 12 Years A Slave but could be spoiled by Gravity or American Hustle.
    This is actually the least predictable year in recent memory. You have 3 films splitting SAG, DGA, PGA and BAFTA including an almost impossible tie at PGA. This is by far the most interesting race in years, to say nothing of the supporting actress category.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    This is actually the least predictable year in recent memory. You have 3 films splitting SAG, DGA, PGA and BAFTA including an almost impossible tie at PGA. This is by far the most interesting race in years, to say nothing of the supporting actress category.
    I was under the impression the Lupita N'Yongo had Supporting pretty much sewn up. She's only lost a couple of the awards. I do think Jennifer Lawrence would be the only other person who would win in that category and its more likely for her to win than Amy Adams in Lead. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper don't stand a chance. So if there is going to be a token "American Hustle has to win at least one acting category," Supporting Actress is most likely to be it.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    For some reason ,I'm just not that excited for the Oscars this year. I guess Sochi had enough drama and voids to last me.

vCash
    I was under the impression the Lupita N'Yongo had Supporting pretty much sewn up. She's only lost a couple of the awards. I do think Jennifer Lawrence would be the only other person who would win in that category and its more likely for her to win than Amy Adams in Lead. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper don't stand a chance. So if there is going to be a token "American Hustle has to win at least one acting category," Supporting Actress is most likely to be it.
    Interesting analysis. Jennifer is the most likely to win for American Hustle, it seems.

vCash
    Jennifer won the BAFTA and the Golden Globe over Lupita, who won most of the smaller awards. That makes it a pretty tight race, though I expect Lupita to bring it home tonight.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Guiliana Ranic is too scary thin for that gown she is wearing. It's hanging like a sack on her.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    liza has a blue stripe in her hair to match her dress. i love her so. she's even allowing lorna to speak and everything. lorna looks fabulous. LOL, if you've ever seen liza in concert, she name drops charles aznavour like crazy.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    For some reason E! is no longer available on our tv package and I can't snark along.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    For some reason E! is no longer available on our tv package and I can't snark along.

i put on CNN because i just cant with giuliana and that osbourne spawn for more than a few seconds at a time
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    The word is that Lupita Nyong'o is the one to look out for on the Red Carpet this evening. This is what she wore to the Golden Globes. It was her 31st birthday yesterday (1st March)

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Jennifer won the BAFTA and the Golden Globe over Lupita, who won most of the smaller awards. That makes it a pretty tight race, though I expect Lupita to bring it home tonight.
    There's also the fact that Jennifer Lawrence won last year. I don't remember the last time an Actor/Actress won 2 years in a row. Even if it was in a different category. But 12 Years a Slave needs at least one major win and if it gets Supporting Actress it may theoretically soften the blow if it loses Best Picture to American Hustle.

vCash
    There's also the fact that Jennifer Lawrence won last year. I don't remember the last time an Actor/Actress won 2 years in a row. Even if it was in a different category. But 12 Years a Slave needs at least one major win and if it gets Supporting Actress it may theoretically soften the blow if it loses Best Picture to American Hustle.
    Actors/Actresses wining 2 Oscars in a row:-

Luise Rainer (The Great Ziegfeld, 1936 and The Good Earth, 1937)
    Katharine Hepburn (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, 1967 and The Lion in Winter, 1968)
    Spencer Tracy (Captains Courageous, 1937 and Boys Town, 1938)
    Tom Hanks (Philadelphia, 1993 and Forrest Gump, 1994)
    Jason Robards (All the President's Men in 1976 and Julia in 1977)

The person who has won most consecutive Oscars in any category is Walt Disney - 10 awards in 8 consecutive years from 1931/32 - 1939

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    The word is that Lupita Nyong'o is the one to look out for on the Red Carpet this evening. This is what she wore to the Golden Globes. It was her 31st birthday yesterday (1st March)
    she and her stylist have made such great choices all award season

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast