vCash

Team USA-2014 Cheer Thread (the team as a whole)

Waking up Monday morn...and I am still in awe at the amazing skaters who make up Team USA-2014. They deserve their Cheer Thread as a whole: USA! USA! USA!

After having followed skating closely since Peggy Fleming'68, I have not been as excited about a US Olympic Team, as a whole, as I was in 1984, right after the Salt Lake City Nationals (Roz, Elaine, Tiffany, The Carrutherses, SCOTT, BrianB, Blumberg/Siebert, Fox/Dalley, et al). Team 2014: They are ALL great. I have NEVER looked forward to seeing and cheering as US Team on as I watch the Olympics on TV as much as this year's crew. From Chock-Bates' glamorous 'Hollywood' SD to the Blonde Bombshell Gracie to Jason's magic to all the rest....WATCH OUT WORLD - THEY ARE COMIN'!!!!

This is a crew of skaters who CAN and WILL resurrect the magic of figure skating in the minds of the general US public that doesn't normally follow skating, I will bet.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Comcast on-demand already has a nice 5-minute piece introducing all Team USA members, with highlight clip for each at Natls! (use your remote for 'on demand' - Sports - Sochi2014 - Meet Team USA)

Heads-up: This morning (Monday, 13th Jan) the TODAY Show has scheduled a 'Countdown to Sochi' segment in the 2nd hour, likely to talk about the figure skating team and Natls.

vCash
    I'm excited for all the skaters on the team, and while I am sad for a few of my favorites, I am happy for everyone who got named to the Olympic team. I don't have any 'unfavorites' on the team, so I am thrilled for the Olympics when I can cheer them ALL on!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm excited for all the skaters on the team, and while I am sad for a few of my favorites, I am happy for everyone who got named to the Olympic team. I don't have any 'unfavorites' on the team, so I am thrilled for the Olympics when I can cheer them ALL on!
    I'm really happy with the US team as well. I think it's a good mix of veteran skaters and rookies. Regardless of how they all finish in Sochi, I think the USFSA is sending arguably the strongest skaters it has. I'm particularly excited about Jason and Polina, who both would appear to have bright futures ahead of them, but neither of whom, thankfully, will be pressured with the burden of going into the Games as National champions. They can go as second-ranked skaters and hopefully have an invaluable learning experience.

It was also so nice to see Gracie Gold fulfilling her potential and dealing well with the endless expectations that have been foisted upon her. The switch to Frank Carroll has done such wonders for her in such a short period of time; I'm still a little flabbergasted.

Meryl and Charlie--what else can you say besides "wow!" I'm so pleased to have had the chance to see them win their sixth title live. It was just unforgettable.

Best of luck to all of them in Sochi! Here's a wish for everyone on Team USA to stay healthy and injury-free, and to skate lights out when it counts most.

vCash
    At the moment I am with the Natl press on this ("Klutz not Lutz") and can't cheer a team formed by US Skating's selection committee as opposed to results on the ice.

I will get over it in a few days but my outlook regarding the Ladies won't be based on nationality at all but on my favorites.

I will be pulling so hard for Mao and Adelina along with Carolina, Akiko and Yuna. Kanako too!

So at least I will still watch but won't be supporting any of the US Ladies in Sochi. Maybe Gracie who certainly has the talent and potential and political clout to do something if she skates her best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    I will get over it in a few days but my outlook regarding the Ladies won't be based on nationality at all but on my favorites.
    Shouldn't that always be the case?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Ditto

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    At the moment I am with the Natl press on this ("Klutz not Lutz") and can't cheer a team formed by US Skating's selection committee as opposed to results on the ice.

I will be pulling so hard for Mao and Adelina along with Carolina, Akiko and Yuna. Kanako too!

So at least I will still watch but won't be supporting any of the US Ladies in Sochi. Maybe Gracie who certainly has the talent and potential and political clout to do something if she skates her best.
    Oh. that is nice. No one cares. Honestly I am convinced you are Mirai's mom.

In any event, I really am happy for Ashley Wagner. GO ASHLEY WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GET IT GURL!

vCash
    Besides D/W in dance...What are Team USA's best chances for a medal? I see at least two other possibilities: Ladies (Gracie and/or Ashley) and Men (esp Jason, who medaled in a G-P event this season). Team Event silver is a definite possibility, too.

vCash
    I don't think there are many chances for individual medals outside of dance.
    Ashley or Gracie have an outside shot at bronze. I wouldn't put money on it though.
    I don't think the men have a chance. Jason medaled in the GP (and so did Jeremy) but in GPs there aren't all the top men. I think a finish in the lower half of the top 10 is more likely the best result from them.
    Pairs no chance.

Team event I think we have a most likely shot for bronze, but if other teams falter, maybe silver? (I think it will be Canada-Russia-US)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Shouldn't that always be the case?
    I cheer for Americans at the Olympics. You might not cheer based on nationality, but I wouldn't say one way or the other should always be the case.

vCash
    Gracie won't be the only 'Gold' aiming for gold on the US team. US snowboarders in Sochi include brother and sister from the Gold family!