Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The age limit was in play in 1998 but there was a loophole: If you won a medal at World Juniors you could go to Worlds. That's how Plushenko and Sarah Hughes earned tickets despite being under the limit.

I hope Patrick doesn't retire, we don't have anyone in Canada to fill his void at this point. Weaver/Poje can take Virtue/Moir's place. What about Duhamel/Radford?
    Last edited by coppertop1; 02-15-2014 at 03:54 AM.

vCash
    Duhamel/Radford have said that they're going to take it one year at a time in one interview I saw this week but have indicated in the past that they fully intend to continue which makes sense when they're really just started to hit their stride in the past couple of years.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    Good to know. It wouldn't make sense if they retired now that they're peaking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    I hope Patrick doesn't retire, we don't have anyone in Canada to fill his void at this point. Weaver/Poje can take Virtue/Moir's place. What about Duhamel/Radford?
    Athletes shouldnt stay in just because there isnt someone as good as them ready. That is the problem of the federation and other skaters to sort out, it isnt their responsability. The last thing any country wants to do is follow the pathetic Russian model, begging and even offering millions for past stars in their 30s to return rather than developing new talent which inevitably never develops.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I'm not sure if Scali is in Sochi: he's been coaching with Krylova/Camerlengo, who have a number of teams competing.
    I believe Scali will be there for the Dance, with O'Brien/Merriman.

ETA: Yep, he's there: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Last edited by Bunny Hop; 02-15-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Joubert and Verner aren't going to Worlds?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post

No, they're going to do Evgeni Plushenko's tour in Russia and Eastern Europe, it's been known for a while. I think Lambiel and Weir are also doing that - should be quite entertaining.

Joubert has said that he's looking forward to doing shows and that it should be better for his body than competing; also that it'll be nice to have a normal life riding his motorcycle, skiing, being with friends and having the occasional beer without worrying about his weight I know Verner's pretty tapped out, too, and he wants to finish his MBA and start his off-ice career.

Losing all the old timers (throw in Takahashi since he'll retire soon, and of course Plushenko) is really sad. I know it's right for them, but regardless of who was more or less IJS friendly and persona likes and dislikes, they were fantastic performers and entertainers and there aren't a lot of skaters who can do that. I'll miss seeing them in competition.

vCash

Cheer up, it means seeing Besseghier's voidy breakdance SP at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Cheer up, it means seeing Besseghier's voidy breakdance SP at Worlds.
    I guess France will be down to one slot in 2015. Oh, well. It's not like they have anyone to fill that slot...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by umronnie View Post
    I guess France will be down to one slot in 2015. Oh, well. It's not like they have anyone to fill that slot...
    If Amodio and Besseghier manage to place 13th and 14th, they'll hang on to two. But yeah, that is not very likely at this point.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash

Sadly, I think they realize that the judges have clearly shown them the exit door as skaters who are more fitted to the 6.0 system. I'm gonna miss those goodhearted hotties and admirable sportsmen. They added so much charisma and testosterone to the men's field.

vCash
    If Amodio and Besseghier manage to place 13th and 14th, they'll hang on to two. But yeah, that is not very likely at this point.
    Maybe Amodio will surprise us with a Joubert-in-2010 like rise from the ashes. For his sake I hope so; he really needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Sadly, I think they realize that the judges have clearly shown them the exit door as skaters who are more fitted to the 6.0 system. I'm gonna miss those goodhearted hotties and admirable sportsmen. They added so much charisma and testosterone to the men's field.
    I think they were both fine in the early years of the IJS. Then the demands changed and Joubert couldn't catch up physically, while Verner was never really with it mentally. But his skating skills are superb and he could have come away with a much stronger record, even under this system.

In addition, I thought that Joubert's judging at the Olympics was unnecessarily harsh, especially taking into account how some of the other skaters were scored. If Verner, Brezina, Liebers and Reynolds rated scores in the 150s for the mistake-filled free skates, surely Joubert's cleanish if watered down FS did too.

vCash
    I'm not so sure they've dumped Verner - he had good programs at the Olympics and if not for a few of the jumps, everything else was of high quality and I think the judges would've been willing to score him accordingly had he allowed them to. If he had been clean (such a shame about those quad toes too, as they looked like they were going to be clean and then he just slipped up on them), I think he would have been right in the hunt for a medal.

Joubert I think maybe they have dumped, but with that empty of an LP you can hardly blame the judges.

vCash
    Verner choked as usual - he actually did pretty decent for his standard - and Joubert's elements and overall quality of everything were just not good enough. As much as I appreciate Joubert's persistence, he was long past his sell-by-date for a while now. I've erased his last few seasons from my memory and will remember him with his epic "Safri Duo" SP performance with Tarasova and Buianova cheering from behind the boards.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-15-2014 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    Plush, Verner and Joubert gone - a certain era has just ended .

I really hoped Verner would end on a higher note - his results in all these autumn B competitions promised much more than he showed during the big events...

As for Brian - I really wouldn't blame the judges for their scoring. Even with these 2 quads, his free wasn't that successful. I appreciate his effort to try something outisde his box, but it was impossible to have better marks with his level1 spins and other deficiencies. But he has nothing to be ashamed of, he did his best .

The only thing I pray for now is lowering the Minimum TES - I'd hate to see spots wasted because a skater missed the minimum by 1 point (e.g., Petr Coufal who will probably replace Verner in Japan).

vCash
    Verner choked as usual - he actually did pretty decent for his standard - and Joubert's elements and overall quality of everything were just not good enough. As much as I appreciate Joubert's persistence, he was long past his sell-by-date for a while now. I've erased his last few seasons from my memory and will remember him with his epic "Safri Duo" SP performance with Tarasova and Buianova cheering from behind the boards.
    Good tactics, Ziggy! I will do the same.

vCash
    If I'm not mistaken, Joubert had one L1 element and no URs, and he did get two of the combinations, including a three jump one in the second half. So I do think the scoring was harsh; similarly flawed/worse skates yesterday scored higher. Obviously Joubert did not perform a medal worthy FS, but he should have been in the top ten.

His PBs were for Rise and The Matrix. I guess the judges (and TaT) didn't want an IJS-friendlier Joubert.

vCash
    Men's skating is going to be SO different this next quad. So many stars retiring. Looking at the top 15 men in Sochi, there's only 4 whom I feel pretty confident we'll see again in 2018: Hanyu, Ten, Han Yan, and Brown.

We already know that Takahashi, Abbott, Joubert, Verner, and probably Chan will retire. Then there's another group of guys who failed to win a medal here, are already 22/23 or older, and who I'm not sure will continue or make it to 2018: Fernandez, Machida, Brezina, Liebers, Reynolds, Majorov. Although of this group, I think Fernandez is most likely to go on and be successful, especially since he doesn't have to worry about qualifying out of Nationals every year.

vCash
    I see Fernandez going to 2018. Machida has said next year is his last year. Brezina and Liebers are hard to say. Reynolds will probably continue, especialy with Chan probably retiring and the chance to see what he can do as Canada #1 for awhile, but will probably be overtaken as that before 2018 anyway.

vCash
    I believe both Fernandez and Reynolds have said they're staying until 2018. Surprised Machida is only going to do one more year. How old is he? I don't see Brezina retiring.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast