Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Aaron wasnt skating well on the grand prix and still managed a grand prix bronze (which was almost a silver, unlike Brown) just as Brown did, so what is your point. My point is if both skate well internationally Aaron will score higher. Brown wont get super high PCS internationally, he just doesnt have enough name value yet. So Aaron with his technical content would have more chance to score well. Do you really think Brown is going to score over 90 points in PCS or gain 15 points in GOE anywhere but U.S Nationals to compensate for not having any quads. Please. I really like his skating too but be realistic.
    I'm being very realistic.

Skate America:
    Aaron SP PCS: 35.54
    Brown SP PCS: 38.93
    Aaron LP PCS: 72.98
    Brown LP PCS: 79.56

Japan:
    Aaron SP PCS: 36.56
    Aaron LP PCS: 68.94

Paris:
    Brown SP PCS: 38.79
    Brown LP PCS: 80.12

So Brown has been out scoring Aaron internationally by quite a margin already. Jason had mistakes in his LP at Skate America too. Yes nationals was a bit of an over score when compared to what Jason will get internationally at the Olympics however if the criteria is used like it should be, Aaron and Brown are not close in PCS. Sorry, but that's the truth. Now, if the judges chose to use PCS as reputation points or placeholders then that's another issue. Jason and Jeremy embody in PCS what the rule book says the judges should reward as well as the intangible Kween feeling whenever you see then skate. Yes, I says Kween.. What's a thread without mentioning her?! They take you places with their skate that you never dreamed possible. That's why I'm glad those judges out up those 10.00's.. Finally..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by edonice View Post
    I think the message they're trying to send - not just to Mirai but all the skaters - is that you can't just pull it together at the last minute. You have to have a consistent season, and a stable coaching situation. Overall, probably a good message.
    But it's not like this skate has come from nowhere. Yes, she's had ups and downs, but she's also won a grand prix medal every season this Olympic cycle, she delivered the only 2 clean programs in the ladies event at Nationals & it came off the back of a really solid skate at Rostelcom Cup. She looks like she's in a really good place and she's made changes in her coaching situation that aren't orthodox, but seem to be working. To do all that and get nothing from USFSA sends entirely the wrong message.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by her grace View Post
    So what's the explanation about Nagasu not getting Worlds? US figure skating just hates her?
    I don't think they hate her. They just don't give two figs about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Okay, now I'm angry. They let Aaron and D/C have worlds, but NOT Mirai? Now they are just being mean.
    And them some on this forum try to convince me that it's not politiking or bias against Mirai. So much bull. The next person that tries to debate or argue with me that this wasn't just a big F.U. against Mirai I'm putting on Ignore and good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    TRUTH.

Also Marco, what about Johnny Weir at 2009 Nationals? He medaled at all of his GP events, won the bronze at GPF, and then proceeded to bomb Nationals due to being sick and was denied a place on the World team. The only difference between him and Wagner is that Wagner was not the reigning World bronze medalist. I think it's convenient to excuse this sort of inconsistency and adds more to the idea that the USFS certainly plays favorites.

I also think the Worlds and 4CC selection is highly political and biased and makes no sense. I'm sure people who support USFS's Olympic decision will scramble to find some post-hoc justification for it.

ETA:

And what's wrong with that? There are two spots for Worlds, and Abbott and Brown placed in the top two spots. If they expected Abbott to retire, then could have still named him as an alternate, and he would still be able to compete at Worlds if Abbott retires before Worlds. It's weird how they're treating Worlds as a consolation prize or are more worried about Worlds and securing spots for the following season…which goes to show you that USFS does whatever it wants.
    THANK YOU! Johnny in 2009 was yet another time the previous season's results didn't apparently meet their 'criteria'. So much garbage. They invoke the rules when it suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I do believe that if Mirai was still with Frank and skated the way she did and came in 3rd, I would think she would be going to worlds at least..
    Maybe. Frank couldn't help Mirai's cause against Rachael in 2011 (who in the opinions of some should have been left off of that year's World team since Mirai always are almost always outskated her rival internationally).

Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    But it's not like this skate has come from nowhere. Yes, she's had ups and downs, but she's also won a grand prix medal every season this Olympic cycle, she delivered the only 2 clean programs in the ladies event at Nationals & it came off the back of a really solid skate at Rostelcom Cup. She looks like she's in a really good place and she's made changes in her coaching situation that aren't orthodox, but seem to be working. To do all that and get nothing from USFSA sends entirely the wrong message.
    ITA.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

In a cubbyhole next to Lauren Sheehan's bedazzler
    vCash
    I think the message they're trying to send - not just to Mirai but all the skaters - is that you can't just pull it together at the last minute. You have to have a consistent season, and a stable coaching situation. Overall, probably a good message.
    Yeah, just look at Gracie this season...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I would think Wagner would be very motivated to go to Worlds, it would be her best chance to at last grab World medal, a major accomplishment she has yet to be able to claim. Ditto Gracie. Ladies with far greater resumes...Kwan, Slutskaya, Cohen, Asada, Kim...showed up at each post-Olympic Worlds , even though they had World titles and Olympics medals already under their belt. At the end of the Sochi Olympics, Wagner would likely have neither an Olympic or World medal...if she train a few more weeks, she might at least get one of them.
    After Wagner bombs in Sochi and then sees many of the best skaters are passing up Worlds a team of wild horse could not keep her away.
    Realistically a severely depleted Worlds field is Wagner's only hope of ever EARNING a major medal.

But there is no way US Skating could send Mirai to Worlds if Ashley is there too because if Mirai beat Ashley at Worlds then the whole Olympic choice would be rubbed in their slimy faces.

They kept Mirai out of Skate America for years and apparently they not only don't like her but live in fear of Mirai beating their chosen skaters.

Sadly this is not sporting and shows how inept and desperate US Skating has become.

Any wonder that the sport is dying in USA? Look no further than the bozos in charge,
    Last edited by MrLucky; 01-13-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I wish I could go to Taipei with Mirai as her coach because my advice to her would be to channel your anger, disappointment and frustration into a gold medal at 4cc and when she stands on the podium to hold her head up high and to look directly into the camera with a "take that bitchez" to the USFSA.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Wow, just wow to all the emotional posts about this. I was upset by this too, as it seems Edmunds and Wagner did not earn their spots. But then the world teams were chosen, and now USFS decisions are clear.

For pairs, they are sending to worlds the best technical skaters they have, and for Men, they are sending to worlds the guys with the quads. In ladies, they are sending Wagner, but after that they chose the skaters with the most triple triple combinations.

They chose based on technical BV in most cases.
    Last edited by PairSk8Fan; 01-13-2014 at 03:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    for Men, they are sending guys with the quads
    Jeez, I'll bet that's news to Jason.

vCash
    Well, I'm upset, but I'll have the last laugh when Polina gets plagued with < and <<, bombed in PCS, and plummets in the rankings. She is a lovely skater, a strong competitor and she can certainly jump, but for perspective she would not even make the Junior World podium this year against many relatively unknown Russian wunderkinds.

Literally, how amazing is it that Mirai--out of all the top ladies--had the only two clean skates, and was able to with stand the pressure? I'm so proud of her. I'm upset, because she doesn't deserve this result, and the last time they left her off the team even though she deserved to be on it(2010-2011), she would have won a World Medal. I am worried about her confidence at 4CC though; will she skate with everything she has to prove USFSA made the wrong choice, or will her confidence just plummet?

Hey young skaters, see how Mirai was treated? Something to look forward to & keep skating for!

I love this sport, but the pageantry is archaic and warrants a loss of interest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Wow, just wow to all the emotional posts about this. I was upset by this too, as it seems Edmunds and Wagner did not earn their spots. But then the world teams were chosen, and now USFS decisions are clear.

For pairs, they are sending the best technical skaters they have, and for Men, they are sending guys with the quads. In ladies, they are sending Wagner, but after that they chose the skaters with the most triple triple combinations.

They chose based on technical BV in most cases.
    Why the double standard for Ashley? She has never won an Olympic or Worlds medal.
    But she definitely lost the tech battle to Mirai at Natls.

At Natls Ashley was 0 for two on 3x3 attempts.
    Mirai was 1 for two but also landed a 2A+3T, a jump Ashley doesn't even attempt.

As to spins, their isn't much to compare between Mira and Ashley.

Heck Mirai can bring fans to their feet with some of her beautiful spins.

So maybe the tech counted for some but surely not between Mirai and Ashley.
    Last edited by MrLucky; 01-13-2014 at 01:10 PM.

vCash
    Other than not sending Jason Brown to Worlds (grrrr)....great choices! I'm very happy to see both Amber Glenn and Tyler Pierce going to JrWlds (not sure if Karen Chen will be well enough to join them? if not, Hannah M. a perfect substitute). Good to see Mirai & Adam getting Four Cs. ITA that the Terrific Trio -- the Blonde Bomshells - of Gracie, Polina and Ashley should go to Worlds, as well as Olys. So both Jr and Sr Worlds will see "The Invasion of the Blonde Bombshells"" in single ladies! Extreme Beauty.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Jeez, I'll bet that's news to Jason.
    He was not chosen for Worlds, they chose Max and his quads to send to worlds.
    Last edited by PairSk8Fan; 01-13-2014 at 03:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    How is Nagasu not getting Worlds, but Aaron and D/C are? That, to me, is the controversy, rather than the Olympic selection. The Worlds are not once- in- 4- years special events, why break the podium rule for everybody but one person who actually WAS on the podium ahead of the woman chosen?
    Because they want to teach her a lesson. Once they decide you are done you should go away.

And they wonder why some of us don't support them more. For example, I will never make a charity donation to them. Just try to find out what they do with their money. Even that Sochi family tree mess was a "secret". Go ask them how much is actually going to the athlete and family......they won't respond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    ITA that the Terrific Trio -- the Blonde Bomshells - of Gracie, Polina and Ashley should go to Worlds, as well as Olys. So both Jr and Sr Worlds will see "The Invasion of the Blonde Bombshells"" in single ladies! Extreme Beauty.

How do we know they're the "Terrific Trio"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post

How do we know they're the "Terrific Trio"?
    I can see the headlines out of Sochi:

"Legally Bleached Blondes suffer crushing defeat to Asian Brunettes."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    But there is no way US Skating could send Mirai to Worlds if Ashley is there too because if Mirai beat Ashley at Worlds then the whole Olympic choice would be rubbed in their slimy faces.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Using tech as a basis to choose skaters has been short-sighted before: unless that tech is superlative -- ex: 3-quad Goebel or (in Canada, Reynolds) -- tech comes and goes, but excellent PCS independent of the quad halo tends to remain constant.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    I think that was probably a mistake in fact. Aaron has a better chance top place well at the Games than Brown. Even with how beautiful Brown's skating is he does not have the rep to pull in huge PCS from international judges. He wont get PCS anywhere near Chan, Hanyu, Takahashi, that is for sure, even if he deserves them. Aaron with his jumps has a better chance of placing well than Brown, and Brown would never get scores like that internationally as a relative newbie without a quad. Not even close. I believe if both their programs were down in front of an international panel Aaron would have come out ahead.
    Brown did slightly better than Aaron at the GP and has been outscoring him already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Other than not sending Jason Brown to Worlds (grrrr)....great choices! I'm very happy to see both Amber Glenn and Tyler Pierce going to JrWlds (not sure if Karen Chen will be well enough to join them? if not, Hannah M. a perfect substitute). Good to see Mirai & Adam getting Four Cs. ITA that the Terrific Trio -- the Blonde Bomshells - of Gracie, Polina and Ashley should go to Worlds, as well as Olys. So both Jr and Sr Worlds will see "The Invasion of the Blonde Bombshells"" in single ladies! Extreme Beauty.
    Blonde Bombshells - Extreme beauty??? Is being blonde now a characteristic of US skaters that should be highlighted? Really don't like this comment.

vCash
    I'm assuming Worlds selection isn't based on the same 8 events (supposedly) used for Olympic consideration? That makes the Aaron over Brown for Worlds somewhat confusing. Looks like Aaron's 7th at 2013 Worlds/4th at 2013 4CCs ended up being rather moot points for Olympics consideration since Brown was better at Grand Prix overall this season (although Aaron did win the other head-to-head at Skate America in October).

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast