Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I wonder what USFS did to scare Nagasu into silence. :/
    Maybe they used a carrot and said they'd release her for 2015-16.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Maybe they used a carrot and said they'd release her for 2015-16.
    Kristin Fraser and Igor Lukanin are waiting.

vCash
    This whole Mirai issue is one big damn mess.. The USFS has certainly made any new fans this weekend.. I am beyond upset about what they are doing to this poor girl!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I am sure the answer lies in the 72-page long selection criteria. Page 59, appendix C, footnote 5.
    That answer reads, "We don't actually use these criteria. We just pick whoever we darn well please. Deal with it."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    That answer reads, "We don't actually use these criteria. We just pick whoever we darn well please. Deal with it."
    We pick the skaters with the best international results record... unless you're Denney/Coughlin. DEAL WITH IT!

We pick the skaters who are the most promising... and that's why we gave Edmunds 0 JGPs last season and Gold 1 JGP (at the last moment) two seasons ago. And now those two skaters placed top 2 at Nationals proving we have absolutely no clue what we're doing.

P.S. IT'S ALL JUDY BLUMBERG'S FAULT!

vCash
    I find it interesting that, in the new USFSA highlight reel, it shows Mirai and Paulina doing the same combination in the LP, and Mirai's is seriously under rotated. Maybe it's just me...

vCash
    We pick the skaters with the best international results record... unless you're Denney/Coughlin. DEAL WITH IT!

We pick the skaters who are the most promising... and that's why we gave Edmunds 0 JGPs last season and Gold 1 JGP (at the last moment) two seasons ago. And now those two skaters placed top 2 at Nationals proving we have absolutely no clue what we're doing.

Clearly they way they are awarding Junior Spots is ridiculous. Why isn't USFSA concerned about this???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by operagirl View Post
    I find it interesting that, in the new USFSA highlight reel, it shows Mirai and Paulina doing the same combination in the LP, and Mirai's is seriously under rotated. Maybe it's just me...
    Her name has always appeared as Polina (not Paulina).

What does one combination prove? Nothing. It's a whole program that matters, even under COP. Besides, they don't do the same combination. Polina did a 3Lz3t. Mirai attempted 3f2t but she ur'ed the 3f. However, rest of her program was clean. Did the USFSA comparison video show that Polina had a fall in her LP? I guess not (sarcasm).
    Last edited by Vash01; 01-13-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Blergh
    vCash

TRUTH.

Also Marco, what about Johnny Weir at 2009 Nationals? He medaled at all of his GP events, won the bronze at GPF, and then proceeded to bomb Nationals due to being sick and was denied a place on the World team. The only difference between him and Wagner is that Wagner was not the reigning World bronze medalist. I think it's convenient to excuse this sort of inconsistency and adds more to the idea that the USFS certainly plays favorites.

I also think the Worlds and 4CC selection is highly political and biased and makes no sense. I'm sure people who support USFS's Olympic decision will scramble to find some post-hoc justification for it.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    I think they fully expect Abbott to retire after Sochi and want a World Team of Brown and Aaron. But if they name the World Team as Abbott and Brown now, it would look like Aaron has no assignment for the rest of the season despite coming 3rd at Nationals.
    And what's wrong with that? There are two spots for Worlds, and Abbott and Brown placed in the top two spots. If they expected Abbott to retire, then could have still named him as an alternate, and he would still be able to compete at Worlds if Abbott retires before Worlds. It's weird how they're treating Worlds as a consolation prize or are more worried about Worlds and securing spots for the following season…which goes to show you that USFS does whatever it wants.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 01-13-2014 at 05:50 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Also Marco, what about Johnny Weir at 2009 Nationals? He medaled at all of his GP events, won the bronze at GPF, and then proceeded to bomb Nationals due to being sick and was denied a place on the World team.
    But Weir wasn't a model for CoverGirl. Sucked to have been him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Sending Aaron and C. Denney/Coughlin to Worlds, but not Nagasu? This is so wrong!
    This seriously angers me. I can live with the Olympics selection decision, since Ashley did help earn the 3 spots and "body of work" blah blah blah (but seriously if she can't even take nationals pressure I'm not sure what she'd be worth at the Olympics), though I still feel by the committee's alleged selection criteria Polina should've been left off the team instead of Mirai (and I really like Polina). For that matter, why didn't the "body of work" argument apply in pairs? Yes Ashley's done better than D/C but, frankly, not by all that much (it's not like she's medaled at worlds and she's BARELY a bronze contender for Sochi). I actually think D/C would've been more useful in the team competition than her. Still, while I don't like it, I can understand why they'd want to send who they're sending, despite giving TOTALLY INCONSISTENT rationale for the decision.

Not giving Mirai Worlds though, especially when they've named D/C and Aaron in their disciplines, is absolutely despicable and utterly unfair treatment (unless this is b/c she declined b/c she's gearing up to skate for Japan ...). Seriously talk about kicking a girl while she's down. I don't see any morally justifiable reason they can't just send Polina to jr worlds and give the spot to Mirai, or better yet, leave off Wagner b/c so far she's suffered NO consequence for bombing nationals (and that just doesn't sit right with me).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    This seriously angers me. I can live with the Olympics selection decision, since Ashley did help earn the 3 spots and "body of work" blah blah blah (but seriously if she can't even take nationals pressure I'm not sure what she'd be worth at the Olympics), though I still feel by the committee's alleged selection criteria Polina should've been left off the team instead of Mirai (and I really like Polina). For that matter, why didn't the "body of work" argument apply in pairs? Yes Ashley's done better than D/C but, frankly, not by all that much (it's not like she's medaled at worlds and she's BARELY a bronze contender for Sochi). I actually think D/C would've been more useful in the team competition than her. Still, while I don't like it, I can understand why they'd want to send who they're sending, despite giving TOTALLY INCONSISTENT rationale for the decision.

Not giving Mirai Worlds though, especially when they've named D/C and Aaron in their disciplines, is absolutely despicable and utterly unfair treatment (unless this is b/c she declined b/c she's gearing up to skate for Japan ...). Seriously talk about kicking a girl while she's down. I don't see any morally justifiable reason they can't just send Polina to jr worlds and give the spot to Mirai, or better yet, leave off Wagner b/c so far she's suffered NO consequence for bombing nationals (and that just doesn't sit right with me).
    I don't think she declined because she's listed as the alternate..

vCash
    Maybe, the USFS wanted Ashley at Worlds (to help secure 3 spots for next year) and Ashley refused unless she also got Olys? If Ashley doesn't do well at Olys and Worlds (especially Worlds), IMO, Mirai will be able to write her own ticket ... and Ashley won't get any more help. OTOH, if Ashley does do well at Oly and/or Worlds, she might retire.

vCash
    I hope Brown skates brilliantly in Sochi and then the USFSA and NBC has to explain to the casual viewers and the rest of the skating world that he doesn't get to go to worlds becuase... something, something, hockey, quad jump.

vCash
    Well this has been quite a weekend for US Nationals. All of the teams have been named but not without controversy.
    I feel sorry for Mirai and wish her the best. Off to the Europeans thread, I pray Europeans goes more smoothly than US Nationals
    but this is figure skating and as far back as I can remember drama and heartbreak has been a big part of this sport

vCash
    But Weir wasn't a model for CoverGirl. Sucked to have been him.
    I suspect that one of the problems the federation had with him was that he liked makeup. It's very, very clear that they play favorites and they like the ones who conform. But, this latest Worlds thing is like wounding someone and then pouring salt in the wound.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    This seriously angers me.

They are sending Mirai some kind of message, and may be Mirai understands it while I am totally baffled and angered over this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I only see Wagner bowing out of Worlds if she kills it in Sochi. Otherwise, I think she'd want to try for a medal at a weak, post-Olympic Worlds. USFS doesn't give a stuff about Mirai.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Why would she do that? Worlds could be an excellent opportunity for her, and there's no reason to not go.
    I am not saying she will want to, but suppose the USFS said to her: giving you Olympics ahead of Nagasu is controversial enough so we can't give you Worlds too. But we have to name you to both for consistency sake and to justify your selection. But you should know what to do after Olympics is over...

Just a wild guess though. It is equally likely that USFS has given up on Nagasu and doesn't care that she only gets 4CCs, or genuinely believe Wagner and Edmunds are the better choice.

vCash
    I'm glad that Max's season will continue, and I'll get to see him skate a couple of more times! His programs at Nationals were his strongest of a rough season, and I expect he'll polish them even more between now and March.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It is equally likely that USFS has given up on Nagasu and doesn't care that she only gets 4CCs, or genuinely believe Wagner and Edmunds are the better choice.
    I think this is correct. The USFSA has given up on Nagasu and they believe that Wagner and Edmunds are better choices.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast